Pavement Park Ban.

Soldato
What gets me is that on a lot of streets where I live and you see people pavement parking they all have a perfectly good garage which they dont use cause they are lazy.

The parking bays over the road from my flats, the other side of the wall are back gardens. One of those houses built a garage and knocked down a portion of the wall and put a garage door up. Problem is there are also concrete bollards infront of the wall so a car can't actually get into the garage, also I've seen inside when the door has been up and it's a ****hole. The owner still puts notes under peoples wiper blades when they park infront of it asking not to park there and they've also stuck a sign on the door saying resident parking only.

Pavement parking shouldn't be a thing ideally but if it's banned there's gunna be a lot of cars with no where close to home to park, it's not feasible imo unless paths or roads are widened.

Soldato
It's just not viable especially in a lot of Victorian era seaside towns
Have to admit have done it myself
Though there's a difference in my opinion between 2 wheels on there
To allow traffic through
And blocking the pavement forcing people to walk into the road
Only been pulled for it once
As was on a bus route so I put 2 wheels on the pavement I wasn't even close to blocking the pavement
And the traffic including buses was passing me fine in both directions
Until a council jobsworth appears and tells me to park it fully on the road
No amount of explanation to him
That I would now be stopping the free flow of traffic would change his mind

So I put it on the road to an immediate load of abuse from drivers I was now making wait to overtake my stationary caR
So I am against the idea as long as pavement room wide enough
For a pram or wheelchair has been left for people then it should be ok
In my opinion

Soldato
I smell a deeper conspiracy here.

Like the restrictions imposed on new build estates regarding parking provision "To encourage use of public transport"

I think, like many other green motoring policies, that this is small part of a wider plan to drive (Excuse pun) poorer people off the roads altogether by making private car ownership and use effectively impossible.

Soldato
If they want this utopia of zero cars and all public transport, then just pay everyone a flat wage. I'm more than happy to stay at home and not drive anywhere.

Soldato
I've seen newish houses with garages to small to fit anything bigger than a classic mini in.

You also can't say the house has a "garage" unless it's over a certain size when selling it, but they could when selling it new which is BS.

Soldato
This hasn't been a thing for years. Ditto the rubbish about new build garages being unsuitable for cars. Things are changing.

Well it was a thing on the Portsmouth council planning department site I looked at last year...

Very restrictive on the numbers of "Permitted" parking spaces that the developers were allowed to provide.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Pretty much our entire street has drop kerbs the entire length and most of the residents do park over the kerb (myself included) but always leave room for a wheelchair.
There's one particular house with a X5 and a truck however that seem to park as close to their hedge as possible (which hangs about a foot over the path anyway.
They've been asked multiple times to stop but flat out ignore everyone.

Come school run times thats when the fun starts... double parked all over the place
And whilst they have good intentions on leaving room on the path (at both sides) it just means anythign bigger than a small hatch simply can't get thru!

I'd like residents permits tbh even if it is just for peak times

Caporegime
Why would that make any sense? I’ve got room for 5 cars to park on my driveway (and currently have 3, I had 4 until two weeks ago). I can only drive one at once so what would the additional tax be for? It can’t be emissions based, it can’t be mileage based, it could only be arbitrary, but in which case why two cars and not anyone who has a caravan, or a huge 3.5t Van blocking a driveway big enough for two cars, etc.

you would get tax relief if you kept them parked on your own property for at least 75% of the time over any rolling 30 day period within a residential area.

therefore if a neighbour decided to film said vehicles being parked outside your driveway and you did that for say 8 days or more in a 30 day period you would be liable to the extra tax.

Soldato
Pretty much our entire street has drop kerbs the entire length and most of the residents do park over the kerb (myself included) but always leave room for a wheelchair.
There's one particular house with a X5 and a truck however that seem to park as close to their hedge as possible (which hangs about a foot over the path anyway.
They've been asked multiple times to stop but flat out ignore everyone.

Come school run times thats when the fun starts... double parked all over the place
And whilst they have good intentions on leaving room on the path (at both sides) it just means anythign bigger than a small hatch simply can't get thru!

I'd like residents permits tbh even if it is just for peak times

You can call the council about people blocking pavements, as well as overgrown hedges. If they have to come and trim it themselves they will bill the owner.

Soldato
It's just not viable especially in a lot of Victorian era seaside towns
Have to admit have done it myself
Though there's a difference in my opinion between 2 wheels on there
To allow traffic through
And blocking the pavement forcing people to walk into the road
Only been pulled for it once
As was on a bus route so I put 2 wheels on the pavement I wasn't even close to blocking the pavement
And the traffic including buses was passing me fine in both directions
Until a council jobsworth appears and tells me to park it fully on the road
No amount of explanation to him
That I would now be stopping the free flow of traffic would change his mind

So I put it on the road to an immediate load of abuse from drivers I was now making wait to overtake my stationary caR
So I am against the idea as long as pavement room wide enough
For a pram or wheelchair has been left for people then it should be ok
In my opinion

I disagree. Not only are you wrecking the roads that cost us a fortune with your motor, you now think it is OK to trash pavements as well bumping two wheels up on them. Pavements are not for your car. Were never built to accommodate your car and the Victorian era seaside towns you speak of were never built with consideration for cars either. The biggest problem here is that they have allowed these types of towns to try and accomodate for cars, and people expect it now, resulting in them being ruined further and further as more entitled people in more cars expect it.

You are OK to obstruct the pavement for pedestrians all so that fellow car drivers can get by your parked motor without stopping? You should be leaving your car off the pavement and making the people in cars sit behind your car if that is what you need to do. Or really you should be parking somewhere that isn't obstructing anyone at all. The council worker isn't a jobsworth he is simply doing his job and probably has worse opinions of people selfish enough to park in the way you are describing.

That's a situation that really annoys me that people will obstruct folks walking on pavements so that their car is out of the way of the road to not annoy others in cars. Another classic example of why our society panders to chunks of metal and everything revolves around them at expense of everything else.

Soldato
They need to limit the number of cars per household to 2. Any more then they should pay additional tax per car. Simple as that.

The guy across the road from me has 15 vehicles. He should have to pay a shedload of tax more than he currently does as he's single handedly using up the parking for the whole street.

15 wtf love to see a photo of that street marked up showing his car lol

I would just drive a road legal Tank

Soldato
In my street if people didn't park on the pavement then emergency services wouldn't be able to get down the street (if both sides of the road parked on the road)... I've told the same house twice to move their car either on the hill (4 yards away!!) or put it on the pavement because in it's current position an ambulance or fire engine is going to struggle to get passed... Numpties mun :rolleyes:

That would affect ambulances, but firefighters will plough right on through if responding to a call of person/s being reported in a burning building. Seen it happen two roads up from my old house and your car is no match for something with a Dennis badge on the front.

Soldato
On bikes? On the bus? Walking?
Oh no wait, they all NEED to do it by car, because reasons.

Then lets see a whole shake up of our economy, and how people work and where they work. At the moment we have councils gunning for motorists, yet the same councils approved all the out of town shops malls, and closed all the schools within walking distance. The vast majority of people do not own a car for fun.

Soldato
It would cost me more money to take the bus to work than it does to drive (because I have to first take a bus in to town, then a second bus out of town to where I work). So why bother.

They aren't going to reduce the amount of cars unless public transport is actually useful, as well as cheaper than running a car...

Back
Top Bottom