Pro Cycling Discussion 2020

Soldato
Yeah I meant he was riding the Omloop for Jumbo not that he had joined the team this year. He wasn't meant to be riding Omloop so they dropped someone from the team for and gave WvA the ride based on expectation that future races may be cancelled due to cornoavirus. I'm assuming his focus was MSR.

This is his 2nd full season with the team.

p.s. they have turned around and said that MSR will be going ahead. The organisers that is. I still feel that local authority/gov may turn around and overrule them on that though!

Soldato
RIP Nico Portal the Team Ineos sporting director.

Died today at the age of 40. Really surprising news. Met him out in majorca with Sky and he really was a great guy, just like he came across in his interviews.

Soldato
RIP Nico Portal the Team Ineos sporting director.

Died today at the age of 40. Really surprising news. Met him out in majorca with Sky and he really was a great guy, just like he came across in his interviews.

Shocking news, 40 is no age to be passing. He always came across a decent guy

Soldato
That is very sad and shocking news. :( I know he had to retire due to heart issues but for this to happen now is tragic.

If anyone has not done so already, I can't recommend enough asking your GP for a cardiac screen, or attending a Cardiac Risk in the Young (if you're under 35) screening near you. It could save your life, and I speak from experience there.

Soldato
OP
Utterly shocked to hear about it. So, so young! (I'm 40 this year!). Really really liked him as he always came across so honest and a really nice guy in all interviews.

Says he died at home with his family in Andorra - for the time he spent away from them that's at least some consolation to take.

p.s. they have turned around and said that MSR will be going ahead. The organisers that is. I still feel that local authority/gov may turn around and overrule them on that though!

Confidis & FDJ still being held in UAE after far as I can tell, some riders have tested positive for CV so really think that'll shake some realisation into things with the UCI/Organisers.

No matter what they say - Fans is one thing, teams and actual riders coming down with it is something quite different!

Soldato
@Roady everything I read says staff members (2x from Italy). I've not seen anything that says riders have tested posi for the virus.

Soldato
Jumbo-Visma have said they aren't going to Strade Bianche - could be a long spring without the classics...

Yeah and EF asked to be excused also including Tireno and MSR....
Seeing reports that Boelmans were at airport and didn't board the plane to go to Italy. So the confusion and expectation is there.
I personally cannot see racing going ahead in Italy over the next month.

More people from the WT teams now confirmed with it in UAE also. Doesn't say riders but does say 2x Russians and an Italian. So would put my guessing hat on this being why Gazprom team guys were asked to remain.

What a bloody mess :(

Soldato
Ineos completely pulled out of all racing until Volta a Catalunya on March 23rd and Astana out of Strade Bianche, Paris Nice and Tirreno Adriatico. Going to be a very quiet set of races.

Soldato
If you haven't been watching Paris Nice highlights on ITV4 then catch up! The racing has been phenomenally brutal so far!

Stage 1 & 2 have been absolute perfection.
Bonus on stage 2 highlights is Sean Kelly telling you about "big legs" as well.
That wee Colombian fella from EF is unreal.

Soldato
Stage 1 & 2 have been absolute perfection.
Bonus on stage 2 highlights is Sean Kelly telling you about "big legs" as well.
That wee Colombian fella from EF is unreal.

I don't partake in the Eurosport "highlights" if I don't have to :D

Listening to Never Strays Far podcast this morning and Daniel Friebe found out one of the Total Energie riders has a crowbar and a toolkit in his luggage in case of quarantine :D :D :D

Soldato
Bahrain Mclaren pulled out of PN today, sounds like today will be the last day. Don't think we'll be seeing much cycling up until June with the way things are going, going to have to find something to fill my weekends!

Great win by Bonafazio yesterday, timed to perfection but heartache for Tratnik, thought he'd done just enough!

Soldato
E3 and GentWev canned.
Flanders sportive canned so Flanders will be next.
PN finishing after tomorrows stage. No stage Sunday.
Volta A Catalunya canned.

Think we should just close this thread now.
Utter ****!

Soldato
Whole world is ******.

Care homes on lock down and no visitors.

Schools closed.

Football off.

Gigs cancelled.

People panic buying as if its Christmas.

Wonder if local bike races will be cancelled.

Soldato
I'd be surprised if Paris-Nice continues tomorrow.

Giro postponed / cancelled, along with the Tour Series and Womens Tour. I imagine Tour de Yorkshire will go soon :(

Back
Top Bottom