Half-Life: Alyx

Associate
Didn't realise Vive owners got this for free as well as the Index ones. Decided to give the Index a miss this time around.

Nice little surprise I only spotted when messing around with Steam last week. Will be giving it a shot when it comes out.
If you bought the Index controllers you get it free regardless of headset. I don't think pure Vive owners would get it for free though.

Associate
Nope.....never bought the controllers either. Can't really find any info out there regarding Vive owners getting it, but I certainly didn't buy it, so must be the only explanation.

Who knows ? Any non-Index people able to confirm ?

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
https://www.half-life.com/en/alyx/vr

Only people with Index hardware (excluding the basestations) get it free according to the above. Someone might have gifted it to you, but you'd know about it if they did. Probably a Steam glitch I think... take it and run! :D

Edit: someone else also got it free without the Index: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/e1miul/so_it_looks_like_you_get_half_life_alyx_for_free/

Aye...weird one alright, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. Even though I only use the VR sparingly these days, not even the Vive anymore (tend to use a Rift S on the main PC and Quest for quick plays), its certainly a title I would have been picking up in any case.

Whatever the reason, I'm running away with it ! Had the Vive since initial launch, so unless that may have had something to do with it, it might well just be an oversight.

Soldato
I am not watching any of these videos, as I don't want to spoil the experience. My Index has shipped, Alyx is in my Library. So looking forward to this!

Permabanned
My rift s has arrived, roll on the 23rd

Great, enjoy it.
Depending on your tastes, try
Elite Dangerous - whole different game in VR, and often quite un-nerving at times.
Project Cars 1 or 2 - Can't begin to say how much different it is driving in VR. In both games you can sit at a PC wheel, and using a d-pad or keys you can move the sitting position to exactly how you are sitting. And the sense of speed is amazing.
If you have a good stomach, you'll soon know after a few goes in VR, then go here and download this.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1073390/Aircar/
It's totally free, but mind-blowingly stunning, I just can't state how amazing it was. Do it sat down with a controller in your hand, stunning. It's like being in those Bladerunner police hover cars.
No Man's Sky - In a much much better state now, than the release version, and is stunning in VR. The sense of scale is incredible.
Boneworks - You will need a good strong stomach for this, I know a few people who last for a few minutes before puking. Me, I love it, and am not affected by the motion. Just make sure you can't smash any nearby objects or TVs because it's sooooo easy to forget where you are.
Pinball FX2 VR - Can't begin to describe what it's like to actually stand next to a huge virtual pinball machine. And things fly around your vision, and you want to pick them out of the air.
Space Pirate Trainer VR - It's a kind of space shooter where you are stood on a ship hanger shooting at moving robots. It can get a bit repetitive, but it's such a blast - excuse the pun.
The Talos Principle VR - If you like puzzle solving in a huge 3D VR area, then you might like this.
The Solus Project - In VR this blew me away. You crash land on some alien planet and have to survive. The sense of scale is amazing, and the weather effects, especially the tornado, is amazing in VR.

Associate
Soldato
Valve announced that Half-Life: Alyx will release at 10am Pacific time next Monday, March 23. Users will be able to pre-load the game in advance of its release, beginning this Friday, March 20th.
  • Los Angeles (Pacific time) — 10am, March 23
  • New York (Eastern time) — 1pm, March 23
  • London (GMT) — 5pm, March 23
  • Tokyo (UTC +9) — 2am, March 24
  • Sydney (AEDT) — 4am, March 24
https://uploadvr.com/half-life-alyx-release-time/

Whoop
I think i need to self isolate from monday at 5pm just tobe safe. :p

Associate
Bloomin typical!!!

I was really looking forward to diving in to this and then my Quests fan decides to go and die so I have to send it back to Oculus for a replacement. What with the current situation who knows when I'll get one sent back to me!

Soldato
Bloomin typical!!!

I was really looking forward to diving in to this and then my Quests fan decides to go and die so I have to send it back to Oculus for a replacement. What with the current situation who knows when I'll get one sent back to me!

Man, you have no luck with VR!! What a crap time for it to give up :(

Back
Top Bottom