Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
Anyone got a Pi set up with a screen to scroll through CCTV camera feeds?

I have some Hikvision IP cameras and a couple of generic onvif wildlife cameras that feed in to blue iris.

I'd like to have a pi act sort of as a "digital photo frame" sat on a table top, most likely battery powered that just scrolls through the live camera feeds showing a few seconds of each.

Struggling to find any tutorials or ideas.

Associate
Would something like Screenly work for that? I tried it as a kiosk style screen, but wouldn't work in my situation (It didn't display the webpages properly). I also tried Yodek, which seemed very good, but also wouldn't work for my needs (I needed it working on a private network, not connected to the internet, but screenly is cloud managed, so needs to be web connected).

I'm pretty sure I remember both having the option to load a series of images to scroll through. I'm not sure if either would work for CCTV feeds though. Can you get your CCTV feed through a URL? If so, I think either would for for that too.

Evening all. I just got a Pi 4, 4GB for £34 delivered. Really fast compared to my old Pi3B+.

I’m looking for a really simple setup/project.

I have a static external IP and would like to be able to connect to the pi via a browser but for the pi to be connected to an audio source at home.

I was thinking simple, maybe an apache server style but not sure how I could get the constant audio across.

Any ideas please.

Soldato
So I finally got around to testing this and I am NOT hitting 100% CPU usage so I'm not sure why there is buffering?

Without context all I can tell you is the Pi4 can officially do 4K H265 and 2K H264, all of it needs to fit within the available network bus bandwidth, so it depends on the type of 4K and the bit-rate.

Soldato
I did a file copy test.
Pi 3b+ with powered usb 3.5" HDD - connected over Ethernet.

Took a 7GB file and copied it to my main PC also over Ethernet that has an NVME drive.

Max I hit was 20MB/s

Soldato
Have a 3b+ set up as a plex server with a 1TB external hard drive, and had a pi zero (non wireless) for emulation but never really used it. I've seen that they are good for pi-hole but lack ethernet of course, attempting to see if it can be done via usb. I have a ex7000 with a usb 3.0 port on it typically for file sharing or media but worth a try.

[Edit] SSH over usb is proving to be more tricky than the tutorials make out.
[Edit2] Ordered an ethernet HAT (waveshare eth/USB) to connect it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have lost the link and saw this a few weeks ago, so sorry for no source.

But that case and quad sata hat that was posted earlier in this thread, that you can get from China. It seems it's now being made by a US or UK company. With no reference to the Chinese manufacturers

Soldato
I have lost the link and saw this a few weeks ago, so sorry for no source.

But that case and quad sata hat that was posted earlier in this thread, that you can get from China. It seems it's now being made by a US or UK company. With no reference to the Chinese manufacturers

From memory it was a fun looking kit with an unfortunate price and a few quirks. I remember thinking I have built 4-6 drive NAS set-up’s for friends/family for similar money that had more functionality/capabilities (but used slightly more power). Sometimes, just because you can use a Pi for something, doesn’t make it a good idea.

Soldato
I have a spare 3B+ laying around and I want to turn it into a baby monitor. So I'm looking at the night vision fisheye camera.

Can anyone recommend case? I heard it gets pretty hot and can sometimes steam up some cases!

Soldato
Guys I've got a spare 3B+ sitting around and I was trying to see what to do with it.

I see that one of the most popular things is to host a personal web server - I googled why I'd want to do this and there was no good information.

Does anybody mind explaining some reasons why I'd want to do this? I don't have an interesting website for anybody to visit.

Back
Top Bottom