• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980Ti hydro copper with stripped screws

Associate
Hi guys, wondering if I could get some advice about what to do with this card. The block is in good need of a clean:

p.jpeg

However, in order to remove the plexi top from the base i need to remove the backplate, as there is at least one screw holding the top on which is otherwise inaccessible. Unfortunately there are 3 screws which were applied so tightly that the heads have stripped while trying to get them out. here's a pic of one:

p.jpeg

and to make it worse they are recessed. I'm not sure how to go about getting them out. I don't want to drill them out as I suspect this would damage the card. The card is long out of warranty, i raised a ticket with EVGA who simply advised me to find a professional with the tools to get them out.

I have another one of these cards which did not have this problem, so I know how to tear them down and put them back together again. Any advice appreciated.

(public links from onedrive not working - anyone know how i can link an image from onedrive?)

Last edited:
Associate
Pics don’t work.
Are they completely rounded? Use the right pozi/ Phillips put some weight on it and turn some have a hex on the shaft for a spanner

Small centre punch and hammer. Dot punch the head to give the punch something to grip angle the punch and tap it round.

or quik steel a little nut or even a sacrificial screwdriver on the screw let it set and screw away

Or heat up the copper

also buy some proper screwdrivers and use the correct size. If there is play or it climbs out it’s the wrong size the right size will fit nice and snug also don’t confuse Philips with pozi, pozi has a 4 smaller points inbetween the X

without seeing I can’t really tell you what the best way is

Last edited:
Soldato
Right click and open in new tab you can see their pics
Other option possibly
Put super glue on the screw head
Sprinkle baking soda on it~or other way around baking soda on it then drip super glue on the baking soda
Will go rock hard in under a minute
Cut a groove in it and use a slotted screwdriver
As long as the screws not really tight this usually works
If too tight the glue might fracture as it's rock hard but bit brittle
Or do same but sit a nut in the glue and use pliers/spanner etc on the nut

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm still fiddling with it. Might have no choice but to drill them out. Wish I knew why the screws were put in like that in the first place, maybe cross-threaded. The other card wasn't like this.

Back
Top Bottom