Help - mum opened attachment from Spam HMRC!

Soldato
Hi. My mum called me to let me know she had opened a spam email from (fake) HMRC which had a "form" attached and she opened the form! She closed down the form once she saw it was asking for a password and has not put any details in. I've told her to keep the lid shut.

It sounds like it may have just been a phishing scam, but I assume that there is a risk of virus. Fortunately my mums laptop is never used for banking.

I don't know what to suggest next? Is there some hardcore antiviral.exe that I can send them? I was thinking I could email something to my dad, he could install it on a USB and then open it on my mums laptop, but I was not sure what software to suggest. I think they just have the basic Windows 10 antivirus software.

Soldato
Hi. My mum called me to let me know she had opened a spam email from (fake) HMRC which had a "form" attached and she opened the form! She closed down the form once she saw it was asking for a password and has not put any details in. I've told her to keep the lid shut.

It sounds like it may have just been a phishing scam, but I assume that there is a risk of virus. Fortunately my mums laptop is never used for banking.

I don't know what to suggest next? Is there some hardcore antiviral.exe that I can send them? I was thinking I could email something to my dad, he could install it on a USB and then open it on my mums laptop, but I was not sure what software to suggest. I think they just have the basic Windows 10 antivirus software.

I'd turn off wifi and stick malwarebytes on a USB to run, see what that comes up with.

Back
Top Bottom