When was your last speeding ticket?

Associate
I'm confused now, as I'm positive the 6 points thing only came out a couple of years ago as it was quite a big thing in the papers. Fwiw I never had to worry as I've been driving for 18 years without any points:D.

It's been a thing for as long as I've been driviing afaik, maybe it was something similar being reported.

Caporegime
My last speeding ticket was also the first one I gained.

Got one doing 41 in a 30 zone within a week after passing my test, but never had another since.

But that was nearly 36 years ago now.

Damn that makes me feel old.

Soldato
Managed possibly my most ridiculous yet towards the end of last year. Was on the way back from a sprint so was in the Volvo (XC70 D5 with an auto box) with the MR2 on the trailer. Volvo was acting up and went into limp home which basically means no boost. With the trailer the lack of power was making things tricky. We needed to go through Lincoln and on the way out there’s a fairly long hill to go up. I know there’s a camera at the bottom of the hill, it’s basically a revenue generator as it’s pretty much impossible to stay under 30 coming down the hill without riding the brakes the whole time. As I was going up the hill I didn’t even think about it, I was more focussed on making sure I was going to get up the hill so on the shallow part at the bottom of the hill I put my foot down to try to carry some momentum. Part way up the hill I was foot to the floor, 2nd gear and still losing speed. I had to manually force the box down to first to get up the hill at all. Was most amused to get a ticket through a week or so later for going through the camera at the bottom a few MPH over the limit.

Associate
Not a ticket but was caught at 100mph on the M74 near Moffat cut off. That was in 2009. I went to court and was the only person without a solicitor, also had a letter from my work saying I would lose my job if I lost my license. My wife was heavily pregnant at the time too.

5 points and £250 fine. Certainly woke me up after that and stick to the limits 99% of the time now.....except for the odd B-Road blast when no one else is about.

FYI....I was the slowest person in court that day, another woman was caught at 132mph and still kept her license!

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Rookie, you played both the work and pregnant wife card on the same court case? 1 would have sufficed

Soldato
Saw a Jaguary XF driving aggressively last night. He sped through one camera at around 80mph... no flash. Continued to drive at speed from what I could see and then went through the camera about 300m from the first... the skies lit up. Must have been going at least 90mph by that point. He soon slowed down.

Touch wood I haven't received a ticket to date although I have had a few scares. I now use the Tom Tom camera app with Waze as the Tom Tom app provides much better audio warnings of speed cameras than Waze. I would highly recommend the same setup for Waze users.

Last edited:
Soldato
Never been caught. But i've had some close calls - mainly in the old Leon I had rather than the Focus. One was me sailing through a camera at 130mph being a complete prat, luckily it wasn't loaded but that was an uncomfortable couple of weeks.

I do love how cameras prove how bent the justice system can be though, that this piece of equipment with nowhere near a 100% reliability rate is taken as gospel proof in court and nothing can counter it. Ridiculous system.

Soldato
Accumulated enough 30 pointers around 1994-2006 to get banned for a year(still dont fully know if it was 6 months or a year to this day as I buried head in sand). I never drove for 12 years after that, managed to do without.

Associate
Has there been any clarification on the newer HADECS3 cameras always being on, regardless of any VSL being displayed.

Impression I have is that it varies from motorway to motorway or perhaps, police force to force. I’d be looking at the stretch on the M3 to be specific.

On an empty motorway, it would be a tough lesson to learn but there you go.

Soldato
Has there been any clarification on the newer HADECS3 cameras always being on, regardless of any VSL being displayed.

Impression I have is that it varies from motorway to motorway or perhaps, police force to force. I’d be looking at the stretch on the M3 to be specific.

On an empty motorway, it would be a tough lesson to learn but there you go.

I would just assume they're always on. I do see some people blast through a few active cameras (according to Waze) with no VSL and no flash on parts of the M25. However, I would just assume they're always on because even if they aren't now, you don't want to be the one to find out they have changed to be always on.

Soldato
About 7 years ago - 45 in a 30. 3 points and £100 fine. only one I've ever had in 25 years of driving and I average around 15-18k a year mileage.

Was a dual carriage way road, in an area i didn't know. Never saw any signs saying 30mph - Motorbike cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket there and then. Still can't see how a dual carraige way both sides of the road in a non residential area is down as a 30mph limit....but hey took it on the chin.

Back
Top Bottom