Poll: Australian Grand Prix 2020, Melbourne - Race 1/22

Rate the marble racing video

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I know McLearn pulled out, that was more precautionary than not being able to participate..

Whatever damage was done in terms of spreading the virus has already been done.
I was of that opinion before the positive test was confirmed too.

However while only one has tested positive thus far, there are 14 other McLaren employees also in quarantine now, so it's a bit premature to say the damage has already been done - if any one of those 14 tests positive then you might have to quarantine another dozen or more employees from within McLaren and whoever else they had come into close contact with in the paddock.

Suspended
I was of that opinion before the positive test was confirmed too.

However while only one has tested positive thus far, there are 14 other McLaren employees also in quarantine now, so it's a bit premature to say the damage has already been done - if any one of those 14 tests positive then you might have to quarantine another dozen or more employees from within McLaren and whoever else they had come into close contact with in the paddock.

No offence to McLaren but I'm pretty sure most fans would have been happy for the race to continue without them.

Soldato
It wasn't just McLaren, HAAS were isolating crew even though they tested negative. It wouldn't take long for a mechanic to talk to a team leader who talks to a team boss, who talks to a journalist who then talks to everyone else. You'd have most of the paddock affected by the next race.

Only 3 teams wanted to keep going according to AutoSport: Red Bull, AlphaTauri and Racing Point. Disappointing that AT wanted to continue given the current lockdown in Italy and they wouldn't be allowed to for future races.

Bahrain would have been a repeat of 2005 USA GP (but now there's a minimum of 12 car grid)

Soldato
Crazy idea for later in year when COVID19 is hopefully not so deadly...

Pick a track or two that has several layouts and run races on different layouts over a number of days, to make up for ones missed early in season?

It's a flu not ebola. It's not particularly deadly as it is. It's only a problem for those with health issues already, just like many other flus and viruses. A lot of the fuss is most likely because there isn't health care and hospital places to look after the elderly if they catch it.

It wasn't just McLaren, HAAS were isolating crew even though they tested negative. It wouldn't take long for a mechanic to talk to a team leader who talks to a team boss, who talks to a journalist who then talks to everyone else. You'd have most of the paddock affected by the next race.

Only 3 teams wanted to keep going according to AutoSport: Red Bull, AlphaTauri and Racing Point. Disappointing that AT wanted to continue given the current lockdown in Italy and they wouldn't be allowed to for future races.

Bahrain would have been a repeat of 2005 USA GP (but now there's a minimum of 12 car grid)

Other than no-one getting it, perhaps the best thing would have been for them all to get it at a similar time, then after 2-4 weeks, it would all be over.

Caporegime
It's a flu not ebola. It's not particularly deadly as it is. It's only a problem for those with health issues already, just like many other flus and viruses. A lot of the fuss is most likely because there isn't health care and hospital places to look after the elderly if they catch it.

Amazing! Every word of what you just said was wrong.

But there's a whole other forum to discuss Coronavirus/SARS-CoV-2/Covid-19 so perhaps you can take it there?

Soldato
From sponsors, I assume, as the championship prize money is given out at the end of the next year and is solely dependant on finishing position not the number of rounds.

If they didn't put any force majeure clauses in to cover races not being run (admittedly normally due to weather conditions instead of a pandemic) then their legal teams need a kick up the arse.

Man of Honour
From sponsors, I assume, as the championship prize money is given out at the end of the next year and is solely dependant on finishing position not the number of rounds.

If they didn't put any force majeure clauses in to cover races not being run (admittedly normally due to weather conditions instead of a pandemic) then their legal teams need a kick up the arse.

Money also comes from the prize pool, which comes from the fees that the tracks pay... So fewer races, less cash in the pool, less prize money altogether.

Add to that the 'pay drivers' usually are on a pay per session type deal, so the FP1 drivers will get a run for £500k or something like that. No FP1's - no drivers - less money for the teams.

Soldato

Prize pool.
Less races=Less money.

Beaten to it :(

Soldato
Money also comes from the prize pool, which comes from the fees that the tracks pay... So fewer races, less cash in the pool, less prize money altogether.

Add to that the 'pay drivers' usually are on a pay per session type deal, so the FP1 drivers will get a run for £500k or something like that. No FP1's - no drivers - less money for the teams.
Good point. I assumed the prize pool was fixed.

Back
Top Bottom