*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

They're not externally IP rated and the IR output is extremely poor (10m) so I wouldn't recommend deploying them in the situation you describe unless you can tuck them right up under the eaves and you install the IR booster ring. Installing them with Protect is just plug and play. you adopt them like any other Unifi device and they get configured from the Protect controller. Its a great system. Just stupifyingly expensive compared to the equivalent from Dahua or Hikvision.

Ah bugger. Looks like I won’t be using them then. Soon as they arrived I’ll be listing them and shifting pronto.

Soldato
Morning all

SkyQ BB was playing up last night (need to call them today) and it got me thinking, should I be using static IP addresses on all my Ubiquiti kit? And should I disable the WiFi SSID from being broadcast on my SkyQ router ....not sure if it’s causing interference with my Ubiquiti LR APs

Soldato
Morning all

SkyQ BB was playing up last night (need to call them today) and it got me thinking, should I be using static IP addresses on all my Ubiquiti kit? And should I disable the WiFi SSID from being broadcast on my SkyQ router ....not sure if it’s causing interference with my Ubiquiti LR APs

Static IP addresses are fine for things that never move but as far as I’m aware they offer almost no benefit over DHCP allocated addresses other than if you want to log into something you can remember the IP address and not have to use some other means to access it.

I would 100% disable any other WLAN because if you haven’t disabled those SSIDs on your devices then you could connect on the other WLANs and get odd results (like not being able to contact devices connected to the UniFi network) and even if you have disabled access on devices you’ll still be bouncing WLAN clutter around the area. Your access points will see other Wireless traffic and they have to go through a process to filter out that wireless data from their own transmit/received data.

Soldato
Static IP addresses are fine for things that never move but as far as I’m aware they offer almost no benefit over DHCP allocated addresses other than if you want to log into something you can remember the IP address and not have to use some other means to access it.

I would 100% disable any other WLAN because if you haven’t disabled those SSIDs on your devices then you could connect on the other WLANs and get odd results (like not being able to contact devices connected to the UniFi network) and even if you have disabled access on devices you’ll still be bouncing WLAN clutter around the area. Your access points will see other Wireless traffic and they have to go through a process to filter out that wireless data from their own transmit/received data.

Sound advice, this might drift into another thread but should I hide the SkyQ SSID from broadcasting, and untick "Enable Wireless Access Point" impact the SkyQ meshing between main and minis (as these have been playing up recently also)??

I've dropped the AP power to medium on all 3 UAP-AC-LRs - Any other tips for these would be great

Soldato
Maybe I wasn’t clear.

All my UniFi kit is static IP. This was I know what’s what within the network. The odd few devices are also static again so they are where they are and for access. The rest is all DHCP

That’s even more of a point of discussion then because other than the USG router and a cloud Key (if you have one) you can’t actually do anything with the IP addresses on the UniFi components, which is why UBNT say it doesn’t matter if everything is on DHCP.

That’s even more of a point of discussion then because other than the USG router and a cloud Key (if you have one) you can’t actually do anything with the IP addresses on the UniFi components, which is why UBNT say it doesn’t matter if everything is on DHCP.

Not seen that. Proper network management calls for the devices to be static IP.

Soldato
Sound advice, this might drift into another thread but should I hide the SkyQ SSID from broadcasting, and untick "Enable Wireless Access Point" impact the SkyQ meshing between main and minis (as these have been playing up recently also)??

I've dropped the AP power to medium on all 3 UAP-AC-LRs - Any other tips for these would be great
No feedback on the above gents?

Soldato
You may need to tell the mini boxes to reconnect but it'll work fine. It's not a requirement to have Sky wifi if you're using Q with mini boxes.

Don't disable 2.4GHz though, the Sky boxes will only connect to 5GHz if you're using a Sky router. If you're not then they'll only connect to 2.4GHz even if you try to disable the 2.4GHz radio on the Q box.

Soldato
You may need to tell the mini boxes to reconnect but it'll work fine. It's not a requirement to have Sky wifi if you're using Q with mini boxes.

Don't disable 2.4GHz though, the Sky boxes will only connect to 5GHz if you're using a Sky router. If you're not then they'll only connect to 2.4GHz even if you try to disable the 2.4GHz radio on the Q box.
Great thanks, would disabling 5Ghz force 2.4GHz which is a faster throughout over distance do you think?(If that is actually possible I've not checked the Sky router)

Soldato
Disabling 5Ghz would force everything to 2.4GHz but I don't see the point. 2.4GHz will give greater range whilst 5GHz will give greater throughput. Personally I just let the devices connect to whatever frequency they want and don't worry about it.

Soldato
Disabling 5Ghz would force everything to 2.4GHz but I don't see the point. 2.4GHz will give greater range whilst 5GHz will give greater throughput. Personally I just let the devices connect to whatever frequency they want and don't worry about it.
Great, I've unticked "Enable Wireless Access Point" & "Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID)" but can still see something broadcasting on the Sky SSID, will have to investigate more

Back
Top Bottom