Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Maybe you should just go, that way you get a week away from the wife too :D

I'm in a similar position, we have a few things booked over the next few months. We'll probably go on them though rather than lose out. Hopefully they all get cancelled and we can get our money back.

Soldato
I was thinking of signing up to the Vitality London 10k on 25th May, but have almost started to assume it will get cancelled... but they're still mailing out to people, encouraging them to sign up?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Fingers crossed by June things will be back on but they are cancelling Ironmans left right amd center atm, Rightly so as well.

Just waiting for the Derby 10k to be cancelled next weekend now.

Still a new parkrun PB today at 25.30 annoying as the target is 25mins :)

Soldato
A friend roped Mrs Chris and me into the running the Shrewsbury 10k yesterday. Good course but there's a couple of short, stiff hills with this being the worst:

https://veloviewer.com/segments/7508006

300m, average 6.7% max 13.7%.

Chip time of 46:50, which frustratingly, was one second off my Strava 10k PB (though the actual race I clocked that in Strava lists as just over 10km, so it could be a PB depending on which time you take!). For some reason, I thought my PB was a fair bit faster than that. There was a problem inflating the finish line arch before the race, so it wasn't up and made it very difficult to judge the finish sprint. However, I know a PB was do-able, maybe by 20 to 30 seconds if I'd really hammered the last two KM. An (understandable) shame races are going to be hard to find over the coming months. Still, chance to build more fitness as yesterday's result was off only 9 runs this year (though I have clocked up 38 hours training on the bike to base fitness is good at the moment).

Would love to go sub 45 minutes for 10k, so need to give some thought on improving speed - my Parkrun PB is 23:27 so almost the same pace as 10k.

Associate
Managed 16km on Sat, which is probably the longest run I have done in a year. No knee pains or anything and everything seems to be working correctly afterwards. Followed up with a 14km Hike with oldest daughter the day after and still nothing aching, broken or otherwise injured, so all good :)

Associate
A few run's when ahead at the weekend inc Bath Half. The two I had booked have been cancelled. I expect all ParkRun's will be called off this week.

Southampton Marathon still seem optimistic, but I can't see it happening.

In other news my running club has agreed for me to do a LiRF course to become a coach.

Soldato
Shrewsbury 10k (plus the Liverpool Half) both offered a virtual option race option - run the race distance on the day, send a Strava (or other) link and they would send you the finishers medal / T-shirt / whatever.

Soldato
Shrewsbury 10k (plus the Liverpool Half) both offered a virtual option race option - run the race distance on the day, send a Strava (or other) link and they would send you the finishers medal / T-shirt / whatever.

Feels a bit rubbish to me. A big part of the entry fee is the experience of crowds/experience. Just doing a run on your own for a medal feels a bit rubbish. At least without a reasonable partial refund.

I think i'd just go for a refund/deferral.

I've got an event in 2 weeks which i'm hoping will go ahead. It's pretty low key so i feel those type of events have more of a chance.

Soldato
Now up to 80 miles for the month. I've really been enjoying running more, although i look forward to the point i get better at it. Went out today and struggled on what was meant to be an easy 4 mile run!

Have an initial assessment with a running coach tomorrow. Want some feedback on my running form/efficiency. Not overly bothered about ongoing coaching/developing a plan. Although considering it's not expensive i might stick with it for the more "unpleasant" sessions as otherwise it's easy to avoid them.

Soldato
London landmarks half was eventually canceled disappointed but it is for the right reasons obviously. Still waiting on a new date hopefully will be announced soon not expecting it until later in the year though. Have to admit started easing off the long runs since it was announced did a nice 10k today no foot problem which was a bonus.

Soldato
My own running has dried up completely just now. Kids nursery is closed so trying to juggle some working from home and watching two kids through the day, whilst getting rest of work done before they get up and after they go to bed. Doesn't leave much time for anything unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom