• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
the 2060 fe pcb had spaces and layout for 2 extra chips... i think it was always the plan to have 8gb board or 2060 super

but yeah 2060 6gb, 2060 8gb, 2060 super 8gb.... thats stupid and confusing and ugh more inventory harder to decide on a card.

which makes it all more likely :(

Soldato
but yeah 2060 6gb, 2060 8gb, 2060 super 8gb.... thats stupid and confusing and ugh more inventory harder to decide on a card.

its not that bad next to the 560/580/590 with a ladded letter on the end but with the previous "generations" cards spec

If there is a new 2060 super 8gb along with the KO its clear to me nVidia is sat on a load of chips it wants to get rid of........prob to clear the inventory for something new

Soldato
This is why I'm saying these 8/10/12 GB new GPU rumours sound so pathetic.

20 GB Xbox SX (straight from Xbox chief twitter):

gHu1WbMe_400x400.jpg

Soldato

gHu1WbMe_400x400.jpg
Maybe it will be AMD pulling ahead of Nvidia in the next gen gpus especially if nvidia rested on their laurels and focused on profits like intel had been doing.

Soldato

gHu1WbMe_400x400.jpg

It’s still shared with the entire system so it’s likely to be far less than that for vram usage.

My guess is next gen will be 12/16gb. However is 12gb+ really required even with next gen games and settings. The answer is not really. Not unless you plan to be running the game at 4/8k 10fps anyway.

8gb again may be cutting it fine for next gen but for the majority of cases the card will run out of power before it runs out of memory.

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato

ok so 20 gigs of shared memory, first up lose 2 gigs for operating system and gui according to a couple of tech posts. so thats 18 left, so possibly 8 gigs gpu and 10 gigs system memory for games.

all best guesses but thats how i'd imagine it splitting up. maybe 12 gpu/6 system but i feel that would hamper stuff down the line, with it being shared not sure how hard of a split ms will put in or if its basically use it how you'd like for games so someone could go 4 gig gpu and the rest system and vice versa.

Permabanned
It’s still shared with the entire system so it’s likely to be far less than that for vram usage.

My guess is next gen will be 12/16gb. However is 12gb+ really required even with next gen games and settings. The answer is not really. Not unless you plan to be running the game at 4/8k 10fps anyway.

8gb again may be cutting it fine for next gen but for the majority of cases the card will run out of power before it runs out of memory.

Remember AMD have developed a rather interesting caching system named HBCC. I don't see any reason why this would not be adopted to support DDR and then matched with a NVMe drive.

Soldato

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong!

The difference in vram has nothing to do with resolution but rather in streaming. Resolutions aren't going to increase further, but what's gonna change is instead of seeing morph all around you as LODs change & objects stream in & out, it will be almost imperceptible. I'm talking about seeing detail from this far rather than that close, from LOD streaming in right in front of your character to seeing it from far away. See the following 2 comparisons (doing a piece on KCD atm so these were handy):

What you're seeing here is the soldier fully kitted out, if I were to move further back even one step (in the first picture) the soldier would morph into a low quality peasant-like model with no armour or weapon. Second image is what you see when you can actually bump up the LOD distance, the distance at which you'd see him in armour. RRvkLfo.jpg.png ANW5LKh.jpg.png
Now here what we're talking about is the distance at which objects pop in. Obviously smaller objects & the like pop-in more but we're looking here at more of a notable object which therefore can be seen sooner. Nonetheless, pay attention to the distance for the carriage and when you can see it.
oIcEmfD.jpg.png UqTLiFW.jpg.png

THAT's the true power of vram. I tried to shoot video earlier but damn software kept acting up. Will do it later hopefully, because when put to video & taken together the difference in culling & object streaming is absolutely YUGE!
You can sorta see it here in these comparisons (https://youtu.be/bGc7Hr68X9g?t=29) but even here it's using the gimped low vram usage version for PC, because it's not set up properly through ini tweaks.

ok so 20 gigs of shared memory, first up lose 2 gigs for operating system and gui according to a couple of tech posts. so thats 18 left, so possibly 8 gigs gpu and 10 gigs system memory for games.

all best guesses but thats how i'd imagine it splitting up. maybe 12 gpu/6 system but i feel that would hamper stuff down the line, with it being shared not sure how hard of a split ms will put in or if its basically use it how you'd like for games so someone could go 4 gig gpu and the rest system and vice versa.

We're talking full GDDR6. The amount dedicated to what would normally be used by system ram will be minuscule, same as it ever was. Plus, with super-fast SSDs to boot, it really will be kept to a minimum. Overwhelming majority will be used for higher res textures & better LODs. Remember, this is not a PC when thinking about usage. PC always has to brute force it, which is what makes low vram on GPUs so awful, because now you won't even have the resources to brute force (excluding $3k+ GPUs).

Soldato
digital foundrys just released a video with fulll specs for xbox series x and its got 16gigs gdddr6, with 10 gigs running at 560gbs for gpu and 6 at 336gbs for os and games, which is split 2.5gigs os and 3.5 for games.

https://youtu.be/qcY4nRHapmE

The bandwith figures I would think are "up to" numbers unless the SOC has two sets for memory controllers (or one larger than average) which would to take up a huge amount of die space

GAC

GAC

Soldato
The bandwith figures I would think are "up to" numbers unless the SOC has two sets for memory controllers (or one larger than average) which would to take up a huge amount of die space

id assume that as well but something that is stressed in that video is ms seems to be repeating the whole "locked clocks" thing a lot so maybe it really is capable of managing sustained throughput.

Soldato

They had issue with traces, and it was the only way to get it to work (by splitting it up like this). I don't think it really matters that much.

Soldato

gHu1WbMe_400x400.jpg

That's 20gb total system memory. My system already has 43gb of total system memory I'm not worried about that. More so what is dedicated to vram

Edit: haha just confirmed by digital foundry the series x only has 10gb of dedicated vram, less than the 1080ti

Back
Top Bottom