This Business and Moment...

Permabanned
Apple though rejected the app as it requires you to login/ create an account and they say you should be able to use the app without an account and only make people get an account if they want to interact in a way that requires one; such as, favouriting a cheese etc. The problem is that most of our features make things shown for users based on where they are based

Why? If I have a cheese from a different country I should be able to identify it right without having to create a login?

Apple won’t budge on this I bet.

Soldato
OP
Why? If I have a cheese from a different country I should be able to identify it right without having to create a login?
It logs it against your cheeses in your profile though. That would count as an account based feature. They want people just to be able to search for cheeses without logging in or signing up, which is fair, but a lot of details on cheeses (the pairings and external links) are tailored for you, so we have to change all of the way this works as well.
They didn't budge, and I'm not fighting, it'll take more time to argue than it will to make some changes.

Permabanned
It logs it against your cheeses in your profile though. That would count as an account based feature. They want people just to be able to search for cheeses without logging in or signing up, which is fair, but a lot of details on cheeses (the pairings and external links) are tailored for you, so we have to change all of the way this works as well.
They didn't budge, and I'm not fighting, it'll take more time to argue than it will to make some changes.

Yeh I understand this, you know how apple works though lol

Soldato
OP
Oh yes, they're a good fun lot to deal with :D Hence why I was like, look, let's just change it. We can make it work in the way we want but satisfying their requirements and it shouldn't be too bad. So, here's hoping it won't take long.

On the flip side, did a redesign on the VolAir app, added new features, removed others, complete overhaul to brand. Much prefer it, looks modern! Also called all the partners to make sure they're still on board and they are, so as soon as v2.0 Cheezus is out, this is going on while I work on building partners with Cheezus. #spinningplates

Soldato
I've started this virus period by completing one of the biggest mandates that we've worked on... but have had two dropouts during that period that have both swallowed up what would have been a very healthy profit :mad: Both things fell apart after contracts were signed and returned.

The money is valuable at the moment given what's going on in the world but also as we were planning a big renovation, and the dropouts equate to about 1/3 the cost of it :(

Soldato
Going to be a challegning year I think. Lucky that I can work from home, I have a very good comprehensive sick pay package and I'm expecting a very solid bonus / payrise in the next 6 weeks.

Mrs isn't so lucky, no paid sickpay, her hours are being slashed and there is risk of her store closing for an extended period meaning there is a lot less income coming in. I can bridge the gap with my salary if necessary but its going to set our plans back a bit.

Worried about my mum, as a 60 a day smoker for the last 50 years who is now suffering with all the expected complications of that if she gets the virus she is basically ****ed.

Will be intersting to see how the virus impacts our business, projections actually show an increase in profit as more people will be strapped for cash and purchasing our mandatory product on finance, and as we run our finance house that will actually be positive for income. On the other side though there are the projected parts shortages which is going to drive repair cost up. All very up in the air.

Permabanned
Finally... https://apps.apple.com/us/app/cheezus/id1501542846?ls=1

Some little bugs I have in the backlog already lol of course... but it's up.

Our machine learning is getting better every day, if it doesn't get it right, simply correct the name and hit submit. Every time you do, it helps Cheezus learn and get better!

You know what's going to happen don't you? lol

I wanted to try it...

01) I got CheezUs (Plugin_not_installed) on launch (iOS).
02) Terms of Service doesn't load when clicked. (Signup screen)
03) When I take a photo upload it, go back to camera screen (where it shows an advert) I can't get out of that menu screen.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks man, really appreciate those! I was aware of the top one, it's being sorted at the moment. I didn't know the other ones. Mind, I had a funny one with the menu bar first time I took a pic and then after that I closed and reopened the app and it was OK. But am looking at that at the moment. Seems iPhone specific.

Also an error on the my cheeses page, but that's being sorted now. Should be done today or tomorrow. Hopefully now we can power through some updates and make it better until it's skynet :D

Permabanned
Thanks man, really appreciate those! I was aware of the top one, it's being sorted at the moment. I didn't know the other ones. Mind, I had a funny one with the menu bar first time I took a pic and then after that I closed and reopened the app and it was OK. But am looking at that at the moment. Seems iPhone specific.

Also an error on the my cheeses page, but that's being sorted now. Should be done today or tomorrow. Hopefully now we can power through some updates and make it better until it's skynet :D

@mrbell1984 don't forget to invoice him for your time, he pays well.

Invoice in the post. PS I decided to try break your database. I uploaded a photo of a cup and called it a cup cheese. :p I then tried to take another photo of the said cup but it come up as stilton. pmsl.

Soldato
OP
Invoice in the post. PS I decided to try break your database. I uploaded a photo of a cup and called it a cup cheese. :p I then tried to take another photo of the said cup but it come up as stilton. pmsl.
haha don't worry, those were rejected before they hit the model :D

I have in this next version, or maybe the one after as I've stacked this next major version heavily but anyway, coming up will be a feature so it works out first if it's cheese or not, if it's a cup or a person or flowers, it says "This appears to be a cup, not cheese, take a picture of cheese instead!" but that's more machine learning (can actually use googles image library for this and just pay a small amount per call, but still a fairly sizable feature) but think it's required because as we've seen... people :D haha some dude took a pic of their face and corrected it with their name. OK mate.

Soldato
OP
haha they don't stay, so they come in like this (I was taking pics, I had my only trip out of the house allowed, so naturally I bought loads of cheese and beer): WojJr0J.png

Then I check the corrected name, or if it's not corrected as it's a pic of what it is, just simply mark it ready for training or delete. If any more great ones come in I'll get them up though.

Man of Honour
After nearly 6 years of contracting, I'm hanging up my books so to speak. I'm joining VMware at the end of the month, in their Northern EMEA professional services team as a senior consultant on a permanent basis. Little bit of a drop in take home (initially) but I've thought long and hard about this, spoken with friends & colleagues and pretty much everyone thinks it's the right move.

A few brain dumps for my reasoning:
  • My current (well paid) contract won't last forever. Yes, it may stretch beyond March next year but that's a 'may' and not will. Also, expenses are not paid for and the past month alone I've spent probably £600+ in travelling/food/hotels etc. I'm in the South, most of my clients are in the North. :|
  • Post April there's IR35 to contend with; even on my current rate, if I were to be deemed as 'inside' I would be taking home less than I will as a permie - without the benefits of being permanent.
  • See above - benefits. VMware offer a lot over and above the usual pension/sick pay/holiday etc. I get a brand new top of the range MacBook Pro, iPhone, bonus/share scheme, generous car allowance etc, plus expenses covered.
  • The other benefit that I am really looking forward to is training. Currently I spend many hours on evenings and weekends studying, then my ltd company pays the costs (books, licenses, courses, exams etc). This will all be free now. Fingers crossed I will be doing VCAP training soon after joining.
  • My new manager wants me to get at least one VCAP, if not VCIX, by the end of the year (it was my intention anyway). Qualifications go towards my bonus. He's also said he will happily put me toward VCDX and line me up with a project that would help me considerably with my design submission. To be one of a handful in the world with VCDX would be a major personal achievement. The current count is 283 and not many are accepted each year.
  • The annual pay rises are generous, I'd envisage that within 3-5 years my take home will match if not exceed what I get now.
  • No more worrying about tax returns, looking for a new contract, having to deal with periods of being without a contract (4 months in the previous 2 years!), accountants and all of the associated annoyances of running a ltd company and contracting.
  • I suspect the contractor market will fall on its arse next year for a bit. In the New Year there's going to be a lot of contractors looking to go permanent. I will have already jumped the gun on this movement.
There's more but I'd just be waffling. Contracting is a great gig, I will miss it and who knows, perhaps in 6 months I will return. But my feeling at the moment is that I will be with VMware for some time.
A global pandemic was not part of my reasoning, however I feel even better about making the switch now.

To those contractors on here, I hope you have a war chest built up and are able to continue working.

Back
Top Bottom