• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If next year's consoles do 4k/60..

Soldato
OP
For watching films and TV entertainment yes. Not ahead for gaming. Only the blacks from OLED panels are desirable from TV panels.

I'd love TV's to be a one stop shop for gaming and TV's. Nearly there but not quite there yet.

My 4k FALD TV has been a way more fun gaming screen than my 165hz 1440p monitor.

I don't care about competitive gaming but Assassins Creed Origins, Resident Evil 2 and some console games like Horizon zero dawn and God of war take a massive steaming dump on what my monitor displays.

Sitting at my Pc is for my Dota 2 addiction and some Fps gaming. Everything else is done on my TV cos sitting back with a control pad on many games is more enjoyable.

That's just me anyway.

Caporegime
Hmm I need to buy a new screen. Currently just-about-managing with a Dell U2312HM. It's done OK for 8 years :p

I like:
* No strobing effect (when you wave your hand in front of your face with the screen behind your hand)
* It was really, really, really cheap
* It's not TN
* Colour uniformity (because it's not TN)
* IPS glow not really too noticeable on this one. I've seen worse

I don't like
* It's physically too small at 23". 27" or higher is where it's at (on my desk)
* It's 1080p - 1440p is what I'm after
* It's 60Hz. 120/144 or whatever is the new black

I'd like to see the various posters here fight to the death over which recommendation is best, then I'll go out and buy one.

Ta in advance...

Soldato
My 4k FALD TV has been a way more fun gaming screen than my 165hz 1440p monitor.

I don't care about competitive gaming but Assassins Creed Origins, Resident Evil 2 and some console games like Horizon zero dawn and God of war take a massive steaming dump on what my monitor displays.

Sitting at my Pc is for my Dota 2 addiction and some Fps gaming. Everything else is done on my TV cos sitting back with a control pad on many games is more enjoyable.

That's just me anyway.

From what you say which is a case in point, that depending n what game you play is whether you need keyboard and mouse (fps) or complex games with many keybinds required, or a pad for console type games which are much simpler.

I guess for keyboard and mouse games you need a desk usually so a 'screen' in front of you, where pad games - aiming accurately and quickly isn't a requirement is more suited to living room and TV.

I guess then there is those that 'pad and living room TV game' with a dedicated PC, rather than a console, as they can get better performance than a console are those that like console gaming but cant wait for consoles to catch up with the power of a dedicated PC.

So there is no right or wrong answer to the best panel for gaming. Moreover the type of games you play. Shooters or complex games will require a mouse and keyboard or keypad.

Those with both, like Hedge seem to have it sorted with 'both worlds'. Haven't had a console since the PS3 so may jump back in, but I doubt they'll do 4k @ 60hz. Will be nice if they did though both are touted to do 11-12 TFLOPS of processing power on the GPU's so here's hoping.

Soldato
Hmm I need to buy a new screen. Currently just-about-managing with a Dell U2312HM. It's done OK for 8 years :p

I like:
* No strobing effect (when you wave your hand in front of your face with the screen behind your hand)
* It's not TN

I don't like

I'd like to see the various posters here fight to the death over which recommendation is best, then I'll go out and buy one.

Ta in advance...

Prolly best you ask in it's own thread fella as it's an important purchase for your hard earned 'folding stuff'. (my grandad called it that)

But this isn't a bad place to start; https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/awards.htm

not very intuitive to pick out the screen res you want but a start all the same

Associate

I like:
* It's not TN

I don't like

Ta in advance...

I'd highly recomend the Ultrawide VA 1440p 100hz Electriq 35" - give it a google. Great value for money option.

Associate
Pretty good stuff.

2 weeks on Gears of War and they got it running at equivalent to PC Ultra settings, locked to native 4K @ flawless 60fps....and haven't actually began optimising it for the next gen features yet such as Variable Rate Shading.

My System (Ryzen 3600, GTX 1080, 16GB DDR4) can't run Gears at those settings at that FPS. Digital Foundry were saying that the Xbox Series X has the equivalent power of a GTX 2080 so assuming that Nvidia release a GTX 3070 with the roughly the same power as a GTX 2080 for say £500 (if we are lucky) then I have a not very hard choice to make. Either upgrade my GPU or buy an Xbox One Series X. If I was upgrading my GPU I would be looking to get something at least equivalent to a 2080Ti (or I may as well just buy an Xbox). I bet the GTX 3080, which will probably be around 2080ti power, will be at least £700.

So spend £700 on a GPU which may or may not be faster than an Xbox Series X due to console optimization or keep my current computer (or even sell it off) and spend about £500 on a new Xbox which will also come with a new controller. It seem like a no brainer to me to go for the console.

Associate
My System (Ryzen 3600, GTX 1080, 16GB DDR4) can't run Gears at those settings at that FPS. Digital Foundry were saying that the Xbox Series X has the equivalent power of a GTX 2080 so assuming that Nvidia release a GTX 3070 with the roughly the same power as a GTX 2080 for say £500 (if we are lucky) then I have a not very hard choice to make. Either upgrade my GPU or buy an Xbox One Series X. If I was upgrading my GPU I would be looking to get something at least equivalent to a 2080Ti (or I may as well just buy an Xbox). I bet the GTX 3080, which will probably be around 2080ti power, will be at least £700.

So spend £700 on a GPU which may or may not be faster than an Xbox Series X due to console optimization or keep my current computer (or even sell it off) and spend about £500 on a new Xbox which will also come with a new controller. It seem like a no brainer to me to go for the console.

I reckon the new Xbox is going to go for £700. They're putting the equivilent of a 2080 (£500), a Ryzen 4700 (£200 if you're lucky), a 1tb NVME (£90), Optical drive: 4K UHD Blu-ray (£60), 16gb GDDR6 (£110), controller (£20). They'll get bulk discounts and maybe subersidise it but they're only going to be able to do so much on selling it for a reduced price. They'll still sell the other Xboxes alongside it.

The PS4 was launched in a recession. PS1 launched for £300, PS3 for £425 in 2006. This cycle should see a bump

Associate

So, they've almost made an Xbox as powerful as a 3-year-old PC.

Also, i just don't see the point of wasting money on something your PC has been capable of for years.

I'll continue playing through my backlog and upgrade to Nvidia's 4 Series or AMD's equivalent (RDNA 3) in a couple of years.

Next gen consoles can remain on the store shelves as far as i'm concerned.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So, they've almost made an Xbox as powerful as a 3-year-old PC.

Also, i just don't see the point of wasting money on something your PC has been capable of for years.

I'll continue playing through my backlog and upgrade to Nvidia's 4 Series or AMD's equivalent (RDNA 3) in a couple of years.

Next gen consoles can remain on the store shelves as far as i'm concerned.
And how much did said PC cost 3 years ago? I am guessing more than £500? What percentage of people had access to that? Did you buy Nvidia’s top end offering?

What load of rubbish as usual from you.

Soldato

First, even today a 2080 equivalent is actually closer to £400-450 (2070 Super). Console optimisations don't really exist for cross-platform titles. ie if you compare consoles with PC equivalent hardware you're more or less getting the same performance in games.
Secondly, remember you have to pay for online with consoles.
Thirdly, do you not care about settings adjustments, mods, backwards compatibility (consoles don't have it totally figured out yet), and other tweaks?
Lastly, only PC can you have DRM free games and therefore actually own them. And ofc if you already have a game library on PC, that's not something you can take with you.

If none of those are compelling, then I can understand going consoles.

Back
Top Bottom