• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If next year's consoles do 4k/60..

Associate
Yep, still far too many limitations on consoles.

Nvidia will release a fire breathing whore of a GPU this year just to undermine the console launches too.

If they do it will need to be at a reasonable price. If they release a card with 2080ti performance for £500 they will keep me as a customer. Any more than that and console it is.

Soldato
So, they've almost made an Xbox as powerful as a 3-year-old PC.

Also, i just don't see the point of wasting money on something your PC has been capable of for years.

I'll continue playing through my backlog and upgrade to Nvidia's 4 Series or AMD's equivalent (RDNA 3) in a couple of years.

Next gen consoles can remain on the store shelves as far as i'm concerned.

whos PC???

I bet 90% of the people here don't have a pc as powerful as the 3 year old pc you are referring to. Sorry Mr sli Titan RTX 3990x owner not everyone can be so cool

Soldato
My System (Ryzen 3600, GTX 1080, 16GB DDR4) can't run Gears at those settings at that FPS. Digital Foundry were saying that the Xbox Series X has the equivalent power of a GTX 2080 so assuming that Nvidia release a GTX 3070 with the roughly the same power as a GTX 2080 for say £500 (if we are lucky) then I have a not very hard choice to make. Either upgrade my GPU or buy an Xbox One Series X. If I was upgrading my GPU I would be looking to get something at least equivalent to a 2080Ti (or I may as well just buy an Xbox). I bet the GTX 3080, which will probably be around 2080ti power, will be at least £700.

So spend £700 on a GPU which may or may not be faster than an Xbox Series X due to console optimization or keep my current computer (or even sell it off) and spend about £500 on a new Xbox which will also come with a new controller. It seem like a no brainer to me to go for the console.

One note. The new xbox was running 4K60 the cutscenes, actual gameplay was 4K100 on higher than Ultra settings the PC has and they looking for 4K120 with some game optimization. (it was a quick port job).
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/03/16/xbox-series-x-tech/

This APU is faster than the 2080Ti, on this game by a good 15-20%.

Bellow is a 2080Ti with 9900K at 4K Ultra.

Yep, still far too many limitations on consoles.

Nvidia will release a fire breathing whore of a GPU this year just to undermine the console launches too.

At what price? Anything higher than $400 is DOA. No point spend more when you can get the PS5 or new XBXX.
Motherboard, RAM, CPU, cooler case & PSU would cost more on their own than $500. And we talking about Zen2 based APU having the IF2 running wild with a GDDR6 ram speed & latency.

So, they've almost made an Xbox as powerful as a 3-year-old PC.

Also, i just don't see the point of wasting money on something your PC has been capable of for years.

I'll continue playing through my backlog and upgrade to Nvidia's 4 Series or AMD's equivalent (RDNA 3) in a couple of years.

Next gen consoles can remain on the store shelves as far as i'm concerned.

HAHAHAHA. Yeah sure. Is the RTX2080Ti 3y old? Because no 3y old PC can do 4K60 with ray tracing. Hell doubt 99% of the PCs in this forum can. Kaapstads RTX Titan probably.

Last edited:
Soldato
One note. The new xbox was running 4K60 the cutscenes, actual gameplay was 4K100 on higher than Ultra settings the PC has and they looking for 4K120 with some game optimization. (it was a quick port job).
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/03/16/xbox-series-x-tech/

This APU is faster than the 2080Ti, on this game by a good 15-20%.

Bellow is a 2080Ti with 9900K at 4K Ultra.

At what price? Anything higher than $400 is DOA. No point spend more when you can get the PS5 or new XBXX.
Motherboard, RAM, CPU, cooler case & PSU would cost more on their own than $500. And we talking about Zen2 based APU having the IF2 running wild with a GDDR6 ram speed & latency.

HAHAHAHA. Yeah sure. Is the RTX2080Ti 3y old? Because no 3y old PC can do 4K60 with ray tracing. Hell doubt 99% of the PCs in this forum can. Kaapstads RTX Titan probably.

the 120fps mode they want to use for multiplayer is NOT at 4K lol.

don't be silly, go reread the post.

My 2080ti runs gears 5 at 4K ultra 80fps, the Xbox does 60fps with the same settings.

Soldato
the 120fps mode they want to use for multiplayer is NOT at 4K lol.

don't be silly, go reread the post.

My 2080ti runs gears 5 at 4K ultra 80fps, the Xbox does 60fps with the same settings.

DF said the games were quick conversions as proof of concept,and a lot of features were not enabled,and there is optimisations to be had.

Or RT cores.

Hard to say,but DF said that if you included parallel RT operations,the console throughput was around 25TFLOPs. TBF,I am not sure what they meant by that.

Soldato
DF said the games were quick conversions as proof of concept,and a lot of features were not enabled,and there is optimisations to be had.

Hard to say,but DF said that if you included parallel RT operations,the console throughput was around 25TFLOPs. TBF,I am not sure what they meant by that.

Yeah confused me also. We shall see.

Soldato

For point of reference DDr4 3200Mhz = 25.6 GB/s. DDR4 4000Mhz = 35.5GB/s
It really doesn't make much of difference if they use standard or optimal when porting back to the pc.

Furthermore:

Starting @8:11 now it makes sense why they say this console is equivalent to a 2080.

Soldato
OP
Well I watched the digital foundry video and thought it looked spectacular.

Anyone can start waffling on about how their 2k pc gets higher fps but as a full package of innovative technology this thing looks exciting.

Soldato

For point of reference DDr4 3200Mhz = 25.6 GB/s. DDR4 4000Mhz = 35.5GB/s
It really doesn't make much of difference if they use standard or optimal when porting back to the pc.

Furthermore:

Starting @8:11 now it makes sense why they say this console is equivalent to a 2080.

It’s nice to see DF working its finest again. XSX runs 60fps cutscenes flawlessly. Here’s a comparison. Proceeds to show 2080 running 4k ultra in benchmark mode.

Hell even Titan RTX drops below 60 in benchmark mode.

Only thing I trust is actual side by side comparisons from DF. Everything else is another matter...

Caporegime
It’s nice to see DF working its finest again. XSX runs 60fps cutscenes flawlessly. Here’s a comparison. Proceeds to show 2080 running 4k ultra in benchmark mode.

Eh?

He says "we were shown results of it running flawlessly at 4k/60hz" and then uses stock footage (labelled) from when DF covered Gears of war 5 on PC

He also said "Now we're going to be covering more of this soon, Trust me, John and Alex are all over this one"

Associate
Aye, just this morning I was thinking what the world needs right now is more proprietary memory formats. :rolleyes:

As for the quick resume feature, nothing new there, i've been switching between multiple games (in windowed mode) instantly on the PC for years. You don't even need to wait 6 seconds.

Soldato
Aye, just this morning I was thinking what the world needs right now is more proprietary memory formats. :rolleyes:

As for the quick resume feature, nothing new there, i've been switching between multiple games (in windowed mode) instantly on the PC for years. You don't even need to wait 6 seconds.

Alt-tabbing Solitare and Minesweeper is not really the same :rolleyes:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
on the switching between games in a matter of seconds i have a feeling ms has had to have a BIG word with developers and publishers, as dont forget when you fire up a game normally you have 10-15 seconds of adverts for the devs, publisher and either nvidia or amd, being able to just drop back in removes that so im sure we can do it on the pc but would publishers really want it to because of the money they bag from hardware manufacturers ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom