Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Ah hindsight

Foresight for some of us. I was all in cash from November last year as I was uncomfortable with the level of risk I saw building in the markets.

I did post on here and predicted blood in the streets back then. I also said when this epidemic got started that the smart money will GTFO, and was mocked.

C'est la vie.

Soldato
Amazing the amount of people in here that have crystal balls and seem to make the perfect trade every time.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Really stunning that they are better at investment/trading than most of the 30 year veteran fund managers.

What date should I re-invest from cash? Please let me know

Caporegime
No tip off in here though?

I told everyone at work if that counts?

I don't post in this thread much. I'm a bit of a noob. But lets just say i've been lucky with commodities in the past and unlucky with interest rates. So it's not all been win-win.

I got out at the right time for me. I may not jump back in at all because wife has been told contracts aren't being renewed at her workplace and they are being asked to take unpaid leave for a month.

So I really am lucky this time around I cashed out when I did. I'm just amazed more didn't. My plan was when I cashed out to buy back in at the bottom or after a month of decent recovery. I know it won't just go all the way back to the top like before it will be slow so I though a month of solid recovery would be a good sign to buy back in.

Now I'm thinking leave it as cash.

Caporegime
Amazing the amount of people in here that have crystal balls and seem to make the perfect trade every time.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Really stunning that they are better at investment/trading than most of the 30 year veteran fund managers.

dude this was pretty obvious. a plague breaking out that was spreading like wildfire. it gained a lot more news than any other virus has in the past. more than ebola in africa and sars, etc. I can only remember mad cow disease being this bad.

Plus i've been watching a lot of netflix documentaries on it's only a matter of time all these anti biotics (being used on animals and humans) and caged, overbreeding, farming was going to cause something like this.

If you don't believe i cashed out I can show you the letters from Aegon.

Soldato
I thought about selling a week ago. I didn't, thinking it'll settle down. I then thought about selling on Friday but again thought it would settle down.

I've now just put sell orders on everything. I'm down around 22%, all my profit from the last 4 years is gone and I've now lost money. Just going to keep it as cash for now and hopefully buy in at the right time.

I can't see the markets stabalising any time soon so what's the point staying in?

Caporegime
I thought about selling a week ago. I didn't, thinking it'll settle down. I then thought about selling on Friday but again thought it would settle down.

I've now just put sell orders on everything. I'm down around 22%, all my profit from the last 4 years is gone and I've now lost money. Just going to keep it as cash for now and hopefully buy in at the right time.

I can't see the markets stabalising any time soon.

I wouldn't take that all as bad news. I'd take it as a lesson learnt.

I learned from bitcoin btw and other cryptocurrencies. As alts fell i held the ones I had mined after I sold the initial batch to break even on costs. I thought they will recover. But in hindsight I should have sold at a small loss to buy back in cheaper as then i would have more overall.

I learnt from past mistakes not to make the same mistake in future. So take it as a learning point and don't make the same mistake again and go with your gut feeling. I would say it was inexperience and naivety that cost you but next time you will be better prepared for it so it wasn't all a loss. Like I said it happened to me with crypto so I learned from it.

Soldato

Hostility towards people that managed the market risk better than you isn't going to make holding a better strategy.

I haven't even looked at my pension funds, obviously. But my trading funds, they are cash, and that was the right call.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't take that all as bad news. I'd take it as a lesson learnt.

I learned from bitcoin btw and other cryptocurrencies. As alts fell i held the ones I had mined after I sold the initial batch to break even on costs. I thought they will recover. But in hindsight I should have sold at a small loss to buy back in cheaper as then i would have more overall.

I learnt from past mistakes not to make the same mistake in future. So take it as a learning point and don't make the same mistake again and go with your gut feeling. I would say it was inexperience and naivety that cost you but next time you will be better prepared for it so it wasn't all a loss. Like I said it happened to me with crypto so I learned from it.

I agree with that. I fully expect things to recover, and I completely get being in the market long term is better than trying to time it. However, I just don't see how it can go anyway but down for the forseeable future. Best case scenario is that it holds at these levels, but I'm not particularly confident about that. So it seems to be to be prudent to get the money in cash and hold it.

Soldato

I can't see the markets stabalising any time soon so what's the point staying in?

Do you need to liquidate this capital anytime soon? Selling now literally locks in your losses, and you have zero idea when things will start to recover. Unless there is no way you can go without this money for a year, I think you are mad to sell now.

Soldato
The moves are volatile from the hot money, lowest rates ever puts a lot of 'liquidity' into the market which must leave and repay their debts where as solid pension money wont move as fast. Shortest bear market ever is comment I heard from veteran trader and I agree for the same reasons it fell it can rise.
The sensible thing is to find good companies that yield because cash is negative yield, bonds lose vs inflation without QE to repurchase them.

Theres a larger argument about QE, about deficit and surplus budgets. All kinds but the sum total is they wont stop easy money policy till it totally fails like spinning your wheels in the mud. The virus as a natural effect is pretty much a perfect storm but long term its not changing a massive amount afaik.
The reentry point in a sensible way is to scale back in over a year. I think its cheap enough here, 5% rates arent possible, USA cannot service debt at that rate and sensible currency standards arent going to happen.

This is not the worst sell possible, SP500 isnt even at 2016 prices. Thats only 4 years retraction, I'm sure thats happened before.
If it falls further I'd like to buy JII at lower prices I havent changed my mind for 20 years on that one so I'd be more disappointed if I didnt rebuy my previous holdings this year as it just performs so well.
I think telecoms and utilities are still valid and gold miners will still have a product in net demand for the last decade and the next, + with cheap oil.
Risky take would be RMG, has to be worth a look to think about it and do they gain revenue now or not.

Some of the move is forced selling from leverage, so it creates excess, over reaction, inaccurate pricing and opportunity to those who dont have to worry so much.
What did you short, and at what level? Trying to call the top with the way the CBs run things these days is no doubt a risky game :D
Yea it was just a side hedge from the autumn, I consider allocation to gold the sensible hedge and I think I'll stick to that because bear markets have massive rallys. I dont want to worry and watch a price all the time, the cases for each company is far more interesting.
The gold miners fell also in recent days so some will think they arent so great then but they make money afaik and thats my interest. Gold wont fall year to year vs QE bonds thats my bet, false/fixed vs free markets.
*I still got shorts on BTC if that counts but it should tail off eventually as only so much money there is leveraged. Its already in the area of the longer term base, I think lock down helps it some probably helps a few products, companies even.

Examine the company not the market price as much. Private investors hold losers too long, sell winners too early; we all share a common mistake with incorrect perspective. If the company does business, has cashflow, revenue with efficient process and can make a profit you dont need to sell. Cash is a certain loss as your bills will be more next year, some of those companies who can raise their bills to consumers are worth holding.

Last edited:
Soldato
Theres a larger argument about QE, about deficit and surplus budgets. All kinds but the sum total is they wont stop easy money policy till it totally fails like spinning your wheels in the mud. The virus as a natural effect is pretty much a perfect storm but long term its not changing a massive amount afaik.

I agree generally about this obviously but it would be interesting to see if the US could get out of this tailspin of loose monetary policy, we know it has to end at some point, it can't keep going on as it is. The current situation with Covid is setting us up for a stagflation event, aggregate demand will no doubt be really low for the next 12 to 18 months. History doesn't repeat, but it often rhymes, looking back at the Volker shock, where he saved the US dollar, i could see a similar situation playing out. People will say there is too much debt and America won't be able to service the debt, which is hard to disagree with, but if you look at the past 10 years, even 20, the amount of QE that has swamped the system hasn't returned any growth. It's so divergent and out of whack, the FED could easily end up with 10t on their balance sheet when this is all said and done and we still only have 1% to 2% growth. This is a systemic risk that needs dealing with. I'm just sticking some thoughts out there btw, i'm not saying this is what they should do

Yea it was just a side hedge from the autumn, I consider allocation to gold the sensible hedge and I think I'll stick to that because bear markets have massive rallys. I dont want to worry and watch a price all the time, the cases for each company is far more interesting.
The gold miners fell also in recent days so some will think they arent so great then but they make money afaik and thats my interest. Gold wont fall year to year vs QE bonds thats my bet, false/fixed vs free markets.
*I still got shorts on BTC if that counts but it should tail off eventually as only so much money there is leveraged. Its already in the area of the longer term base, I think lock down helps it some probably helps a few products, companies even.

Good to see you've come round to gold stocks, price of oil plummeting as well will increase profit margins. It's gonna be a good decade for Gold/Gold stocks, especially with all this QE. Gold is getting stronger against every other currency, CB's have been increasing their stacks over the last couple of years. When availability on the physical markets starts getting tenuous, we should see a large multi year rally.

Soldato
Market has, in my view, mostly priced in the worst now. Some volatility ahead, but I’m getting back in. DCA over the next few days/weeks and then sit and wait.

Back
Top Bottom