• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
For at least for the next year to two years after the new consoles are released,it will be the older consoles determining the base specifications as they will have a much bigger userbase. The same goes with PCs,most PCs at best will have a SATA SSD,but not NVME,so this is why most games seem to be fine on a SATA device still.

If you suddenly expect games to need a PCI-E 4.0 SSD,it will crater sales on console,and also on PC as the cost is still prohibitive and there is minimal support on desktop. I know no one who has an X570 motherboard with an AM4 system,and no one who has a PCI-E 4.0 SSD - almost all PC gamers I know will have a SATA SSD of some sort. Then you have the other problem,that Intel systems don't use PCI-E 4.0 either,ie,all those higher Core i7 9700K and Core i9 9900K/9900KS PCs,which are limited to SATA and PCI-E 3.0 NVME SSDs.

Also,another thing people have missed is the raw throughput of the NVME SSDs used in the XBox is capped to 2400MB/S to prevent overheating and to have consistent performance. Yes,there is compression involved in this which increases effective bandwidth,but I would expect a reasonably solid PCI-E 3.0 NVME SSD to be fine for the immediate future.

I also play an example of a game which hammers storage,ie,modded Fallout 4 with 200+ mods. The games is unplayable on a normal HDD in this state,and needs an SSD. Looking at the SSD monitoring software I can see upto 800~900MB/S peaks sometimes.

Majority of m.2 drives run far faster (3.5gb/s) and they still give you nothing but marginally faster loading times over say 500mb/s SSD.

I’m sure devs will start to take advantage of it but still 1TB is reasonably low by today’s standards. I have 4TB SSD’s in my pc and even those are running low.

£150 for a storage increase seems a bit backwards console wise to me. 100gb AAA games these days are quite common so what does 1TB get you?
Would be a bit odd if the games are going to run like absolute tosh if hooked up to anything other than an nvme drive.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
For at least for the next year to two years after the new consoles are released
I agree with this. I will likely sell my PS4 Pro in a few months time and grab a PS5 in about 1-2 years when the exclusives start to come out that are only available on PS5 and not on old consoles.

It does depend a little on how much next gen graphics cards cost though. If Nvidia go mad with 3070 pricing then I may stick with what I got and skip until the 4070 comes and just buy a PS5 on release instead. But that is unlikely.

Caporegime
There seems to be this idea that AMD need to absolutely spank the arse of a 2080Ti. They don’t. All they have to do is release a card with 2080ti performance for £600. It’s been years and years since AMD have gone for the top end of the market. There’s very little money in it for the few thousand cards they will sell. The mid to high end is what they’ll be targeting and if it even matches a 2080ti for £2-300 less than basic models and is £400 cheaper than the bleeding edge top end card they’ll make a mint.

Soldato
Does the latest announcement of the the xbox series x change people's mind about Big navi?

Are your expectations bigger now for the new GPUs?

I must admit I was just going to be sitting on the fence and wait for them to drop but now after watching that digital foundry and what they showcasing has me hyped.

The fact that Amd has GPUs running Ray-Tracing without leaving any of the GPU untouched while not Ray-Tracing on paper is a much better approach than RTX.

Soldato
For me the most exciting announcements are the storage & memory software innovations, and especially the autoHDR. I hope those things make their way to desktop as well. I was initially worried I'd need to upgrade sooner for platform but it's still gonna be 2021+ until we see proper next-gen games as everything is still crossgen for 1st year. So I can still wait & make a proper jump to DDR5 & maybe even PCIe 5.

GPU, meh. I'll just buy whatever flagship isn't completely gimped vram-wise. I'm waiting to see what the new AC & CP2077 require.

Associate
Does the latest announcement of the the xbox series x change people's mind about Big navi?

I must admit I was just going to be sitting on the fence and wait for them to drop but now after watching that digital foundry and what they showcasing has me hyped.

The fact that Amd has GPUs running Ray-Tracing without leaving any of the GPU untouched while not Ray-Tracing on paper is a much better approach than RTX.
ye i agree nvdia have nothing to announce
:p:o:rolleyes:

Caporegime

Yup, if the new xbone with a lower CU, lower clocked etc... RDNA2, is demolishing the 2080Ti, the desktop part for the PC, with a higher CU count, higher clock etc..., well, no wonder Nvidia are worried, Amperes probably not going to get anywhere near AMD either, we could have another 9700pro on our hands, finally.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
:D it just works right?
Their business practice, it just works.
:D

Yup, if the new xbone with a lower CU, lower clocked etc... RDNA2, is demolishing the 2080Ti, the desktop part for the PC, with a higher CU count, higher clock etc..., well, no wonder Nvidia are worried, Amperes probably not going to get anywhere near AMD either, we could have another 9700pro on our hands, finally.
Buy 2 and crossfire them!! :D

Soldato

Demolishing what? :confused:

Caporegime
Just like all the other times recently where AMD was going to demolish X,Y,Z... I'm afraid I have a hard time believing it :D

Great if true, but for now I'm filing under "the usual AMD super-hype that will probably necessitate some serous counselling among AMD fans come release".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom