Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
So I’m contemplating getting an Fd2 as a bit of a weekend/summer thing. I’ve always wanted to scratch the itch I guess. But it seems to be a heart over mind thing.

I’ve read countless reviews and forums and all seem to say the suspension is too hard for our roads. Especially the rear. I absolutely hated the ride in my ep3 I found it so stiff. How hard is hard?

Also I have a worry for parts and availability. Guessing engine wise it’s all usual k20 stuff. But how about drivetrain/gearbox? I do need to view a couple to get an idea but thought I’d ask first.

Final thing do they all come with speakers as I read somewhere they didn’t? Any audio stuff would have to be retrofitted?

Think that is it. I have asked questions on here before I think but can’t find the post.

It’s either this or an Elise.

EDIT: What’s a round about figure to pay for a good one? I’ve seen 2 for sale recently which are around the 12k mark. They seem ok examples but I’m guessing 14-15k is top end for these now?

Last edited:
Don
So I’m contemplating getting an Fd2 as a bit of a weekend/summer thing. I’ve always wanted to scratch the itch I guess. But it seems to be a heart over mind thing.

I’ve read countless reviews and forums and all seem to say the suspension is too hard for our roads. Especially the rear. I absolutely hated the ride in my ep3 I found it so stiff. How hard is hard?

Also I have a worry for parts and availability. Guessing engine wise it’s all usual k20 stuff. But how about drivetrain/gearbox? I do need to view a couple to get an idea but thought I’d ask first.

Final thing do they all come with speakers as I read somewhere they didn’t? Any audio stuff would have to be retrofitted?

Think that is it. I have asked questions on here before I think but can’t find the post.

EDIT: What’s a round about figure to pay for a good one? I’ve seen 2 for sale recently which are around the 12k mark. They seem ok examples but I’m guessing 14-15k is top end for these now?

I was fawning over FD2s a few years ago but after speaking with TGM they totally disuaded me. Servicing bits are okay but if you ever need bodywork or car-specific parts, the wait can be 12+ weeks. I suspect even something as beneign as the windscreen can be a nightmare to find a replacement for.

Soldato

I know of a 500bhp FN2 with full built engine ready to support 800bhp+, upgraded gearbox and only a £1200 spend away from being 650bhp if that's of interest :p

But for real, FD2's are getting a bit cheaper now and a nice one can be hand for £12-13k as opposed to £15k a couple of years ago.
Don't be put off by how rare they are in terms of sourcing parts, it's only bodyparts and windscreen that you'd struggle to obtain in a hurry.

Soldato
Any thoughts on intakes for the type r? Seeing lots of people reccomend eventuri, it's a £1k intake that allegedly adds circa 25bhp. Can't see how it can make that much difference given that the Intercooler will cool the air before it reaches the engine anyway.

Any thoughts guys?

I had the first Eventuri with the scoop and yes it makes a lovely noise, no idea on gains I jsut wanted the car to sound less boring. I believe they made an updated one without the scoop.

Soldato
I was fawning over FD2s a few years ago but after speaking with TGM they totally disuaded me. Servicing bits are okay but if you ever need bodywork or car-specific parts, the wait can be 12+ weeks. I suspect even something as beneign as the windscreen can be a nightmare to find a replacement for.

I feel the same way. With my CL1 I struggled for parts should I have needed them. Some were in back order with Honda japan for 2-3 month wait. Some were discontinued.

I know of a 500bhp FN2 with full built engine ready to support 800bhp+, upgraded gearbox and only a £1200 spend away from being 650bhp if that's of interest :p

But for real, FD2's are getting a bit cheaper now and a nice one can be hand for £12-13k as opposed to £15k a couple of years ago.
Don't be put off by how rare they are in terms of sourcing parts, it's only bodyparts and windscreen that you'd struggle to obtain in a hurry.

I’ve seen yours in person and on the market place. It’s nice but sadly I’m after a stock example to keep stock.

I’m just unsure on what to do to be honest. I really do like the fd2 but I just feel I won’t like it as much as I think I would. I’ve spoke to a couple of owners that moved on from the CL1 and they say they actually preferred the accord. Which I find strange but yeah.

Man of Honour
OP
The rear suspension is too hard, swap the shocks out for Koni adjustable and it sorts it out plus it's a cheap mod.

Yes parts arecan be a bloody nightmare, owners are always having problems with windscreens as the insurance companies/fitters turn up with the Hybrid screen which is different. Part and parcel of owning an import I guess where there is no UK equivalent.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Keep forgetting to post pictures in this thread, here is a few from today. :)

IMG_4224.jpg IMG_4229.jpg IMG_4234.jpg

Loving it so far, only slight annoying thing is long gearing, other than that it is epic and feels so well balanced and on the VTEC goes nicely indeed. :)
Rebuilt the shifter, cleansed engine bay, changed vtec filter, cleansed and treated entire interior and hit the arches with degreaser and snowfoam and pressure washer over weekend. Honda did major service, plugs, valve clearances and now it is on Vpower certainly goes well.
Also fitted my 2.5kg lithium battery and removed spare wheel and toolkit so a good 30kg out the car, free weight reduction. :D

Next plans are gearbox and diff oil change as were not done on last service and though they may have been done a year or two ago (unknown) it will not harm to redo them.

Also got a set of 05 17" wheels, the real nice multispoke design which I plan to put a set of PS4 on and fit in a months or so time, I got them very cheap but they are in need of a refurb, also got a spare air box to see if its possible to hack it up to get more cold air directed into it and get the noise closer to how it sounds with the lid off. Apart from looking a rear end final drive ratio's there is no other plans for the car really as don't really see any gains from messing with the exhaust when induction noise sounds far better than any exhaust will ever do so and as a driver induction noise over exhaust any time. :)

Soldato
Looking good @Gibbo

I took mine out today, she sat still for over a month.. got some vpower and took it for quick spin during lunch break. Love the thing.

94fc64973355603fbc52c3dbbf58b172.jpg

ebdfa4d2b0b8c43aab1a95162d04433b.jpg

58fdc397282b37f7229d443445894a54.jpg

OcUK Staff
Thanks.

I went from ad08r to PS4 and overall they're great.

Mushier sidewall than the ad08rs were but other than that the grip levels are very good in dry and massively improved in wet. No complaints at all.

Good to hear, this has a used set or Bridgestone turenza 300 or something on the front and new Toledo 1000 on the rear whatever those might be, but in fairness grip and handling seems to be OK, even in the wet, but the other wheels I will put PS4 on, one thing I love about this S2000 the ride is so good compared to the Abarth lol. :D

Soldato
Good to hear, this has a used set or Bridgestone turenza 300 or something on the front and new Toledo 1000 on the rear whatever those might be, but in fairness grip and handling seems to be OK, even in the wet, but the other wheels I will put PS4 on, one thing I love about this S2000 the ride is so good compared to the Abarth lol. :D

they're sensitive to tyres but on the limit.. I drove on some fk510 falkens for a while and did not enjoy it! :D

S2000 love :D

As much as I didn’t get on with my second S2000, I still miss having one.

S2000 fwiends

I'm not jealous

yes! always time for an s2k.

Soldato
Anyone fitted an intake to an R18, fancy being childish and want the noise I understand there will be little to performance, something thats easy to fit and remove if there is such a thing?

Back
Top Bottom