• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Do we know yet why motherboard manufactures have drivers such as chipset and lan which are close to 500Mb each when if you go to say AMD or Intel to get the drivers directly they are more like 50Mb....

I never install these and just get them from the source.

cause they attach borderline spam ware to it, trying to get you to install tools bars and trials for all sorts of crap. Basically that 500mb is not the driver it's the driver plus a bunch of other software

Caporegime
Do we know yet why motherboard manufactures have drivers such as chipset and lan which are close to 500Mb each when if you go to say AMD or Intel to get the drivers directly they are more like 50Mb....

I never install these and just get them from the source.
Have a look using something like 7zip? Or see if you can extract them with an admin switch (depending on installer type, InstallShield or whatever.).

It'll probably be 2% drivers and 98% crapware :p

The pure unadulterated drivers tend to be in a subfolder, normally called x86 or x64, and will typically contain an .inf file and some .dlls.

Soldato
Have a look using something like 7zip? Or see if you can extract them with an admin switch (depending on installer type, InstallShield or whatever.).

It'll probably be 2% drivers and 98% crapware :p

The pure unadulterated drivers tend to be in a subfolder, normally called x86 or x64, and will typically contain an .inf file and some .dlls.
Wish I wasn't so eager. I installed from gigabyte and though the same. It wasn't even the latest, and went to amd and saw the smaller files. Grrr..still everything seems to be working and I don't have any bloatware, at least that I'm aware of.

Caporegime
Wish I wasn't so eager. I installed from gigabyte and though the same. It wasn't even the latest, and went to amd and saw the smaller files. Grrr..still everything seems to be working and I don't have any bloatware, at least that I'm aware of.
Well it won't be malicious, it'll just be unnecessary :p Some companies are worse than others (*cough* HP *cough*).

Soldato
Do you reckon what he does in this video with the PBO settings is safe to run 24/7?

IDK about him but I am using 1usmus power plan with XFR on and PBO off. The 3900X runs amazingly well in games with clocks at 4650 (if 1 core is pushed to 100%) or 4550-4600 if 2 cores pushed to 100% constant load, with the rest moving about between 4350-4450.
Haven't found another gamethat beats the X4 on CPU hammering, as it runs on 10 cores with the 2 strongest on CCD0 at 100% constantly. All other games are 1 thread heavy with light loads distributed on other cores.

Soldato
Using that Gigabyte board tweak I get around 1.7% speed increase, using a Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler.

I don't think the cooling solution I've got works as well as it could - temps going up to the 78 degrees under full load - possibly because the thermal grizzly paste was harder to apply (much thicker) than other pastes I've tried before. Presumably with better cooling I could get a bigger performance jump but that increase isn't bad for a such a simple tweak.

Soldato
I haven't looked too deep, but I did a quick test set the FCLK to 1900MHz and well the PC reset on me when in windows. On my previous x370 board it too wasn't stable but at least I got to windows and was able to click around before I noticed the garbled audio.

Associate
I used to get game freezes and desktop freezes at FCLK of 1900.
Turns out the onboard sound which i was using was conflicting with the Nvidia 1080Ti sound driver which was enabled as part of the graphics package.
Disabled the Onboard audio and use the nvidia digital sound and never crashed since at FCLK 1900.
YMMV but worth a look.

Soldato
Whats the software to check my memory latency called again?

Will typhoon burner tell me what my current timings are?

---

(Aida64)

And I've just seen we can use the dram calculator to see current timings and latency too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Seems Zen 2 doing well, otherwise we wouldn't have such shills promoting Intel even when scewing the results.
https://www.planet3dnow.de/cms/5566...cpu-benchmark-erheblich-zu-gunsten-von-intel/

According to the Passmark V10 they "improved" the results metrics....

zb06KAm.png

Just been watching Overvolted, really painful to watch as one of the hosts is really naive in scraping the bottom of the barrel in trying to portray Passmark in their changes as done in good faith when it so obviously isn't.

Anyway. Jim pointed out that everysingle CPU over the past 10 years + has had some sort of a performance upgrade, from +2% to +20% for Coffeelake, of course Coffeelake gets the biggest jump in performance, that's every CPU over the last decade, except Zen 2, Zen 2 is the only CPU to get a performance down grade, from -16% to -18%.

What hard luck AMD, every single one of these "benchmark tools refactor" just so happens to hit AMD negatively.

Its pathetic, Intel are pathetic, they are #### and CPU architecture design, with all of their money they cannot make a CPU that is as good as AMD's, instead what they do is bribe people to lie about the performance of their CPU's when compared to the competitor.

Associate
Soldato
They are apparently patching it.
Failmark that is, as they have realised when it was testing zen2 it sat there created data for a long period of time before doing the test, but calling it test time....
Very odd.

Soldato
Using that Gigabyte board tweak I get around 1.7% speed increase, using a Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler.

I don't think the cooling solution I've got works as well as it could - temps going up to the 78 degrees under full load - possibly because the thermal grizzly paste was harder to apply (much thicker) than other pastes I've tried before. Presumably with better cooling I could get a bigger performance jump but that increase isn't bad for a such a simple tweak.

Which CPU are you using and did you use 2x or 4x scalar?

Soldato

Something ain't right. I get under that with the stock cooler on my 3900x.

Actually think the stock cooler is pretty damn fine.

Soldato

Something ain't right. I get under that with the stock cooler on my 3900x.

Actually think the stock cooler is pretty damn fine.

Back
Top Bottom