Apple A14 5nm SOC obliterates all

Soldato
Compared to the current Best iPhone, the new A14 SOC provides 25% higher single thread and 33% higher multi thread performance. The gains are so large that the A14 also dominates the current fastest iPad in single thread and matches it in Multithread

These specs now put Apple ahead of Intel and AMD in IPC, the A14 has higher IPC than Skylake and Zen 2.

https://iphone.appleinsider.com/art...-iphone-12-said-to-be-as-fast-as-the-ipad-pro

Soldato

Well, I think the point here is a mobile chip is beating a desktop chip, to be the fastest in the world, which is amazing tbh considering the power restrictions.

Apple will now probably convert it's desktop to run on one or more of these.

Fairly big news if your a nerd, if that doesn't bother you your on the wrong forum :p

Don
Well, I think the point here is a mobile chip is beating a desktop chip, to be the fastest in the world, which is amazing tbh considering the power restrictions.

"Beating" is a relative term. It's easy to "win" at synthetic benchmarks, until it beats desktop chips at actual apps that people use, then it's nothing significant.

These specs now put Apple ahead of Intel and AMD in IPC, the A14 has higher IPC than Skylake and Zen 2.

No they don't - IPC is only comparable on the same architecture/instruction set.

Otherwise that's like saying I can cook the same number of meals per hour as a Michelin starred chef. Difference is I'm only cooking Beans & Toast, versus his complicated signature dish.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Compared to the current Best iPhone, the new A14 SOC provides 25% higher single thread and 33% higher multi thread performance. The gains are so large that the A14 also dominates the current fastest iPad in single thread and matches it in Multithread

https://iphone.appleinsider.com/art...-iphone-12-said-to-be-as-fast-as-the-ipad-pro

Don't get too excited. As far as mobile chips go, yeah this is going to be pretty incredible. I highly doubt it'll be beating desktop chips at most stuff though, especially with the apps being used.

Just hope to see Apple eventually make their mobile chips 8 cores instead of the 6 its on now. The rumored 3ghz clock speed is also very impressive, so if they combine that with 8 cores it'll be stupidly powerful as far as mobiles go, just a shame there aren't any apps really to take advantage of that power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
Impressive techinically, but how much CPU power do you need for Whatsapp and Facebook?

I recently got a new phone, being a nerd I Geekbenched it, loads faster than the phone it replaced. Could I tell in the real world? Nope.

Soldato
"Beating" is a relative term. It's easy to "win" at synthetic benchmarks, until it beats desktop chips at actual apps that people use, then it's nothing significant.

No they don't - IPC is only comparable on the same architecture/instruction set.

Otherwise that's like saying I can cook the same number of meals per hour as a Michelin starred chef. Difference is I'm only cooking Beans & Toast, versus his complicated signature dish.

You're enormously over simplifying it - sure different designs but they are all doing the same or similar maths at the end of the day all following the same formula for benches etc. Comparing cooking dishes to a mathematical formula that's identical on all platforms (even if the chips execute it differently) isn't a real comparison.

Don
You're enormously over simplifying it - sure different designs but they are all doing the same or similar maths at the end of the day all following the same formula for benches etc. Comparing cooking dishes to a mathematical formula that's identical on all platforms (even if the chips execute it differently) isn't a real comparison.

I'm not overly simplifying it at all.

To be a Cross-platform benchmark, Geekbench is going to be not using specific optimisations or instructions that real world software would use.

Essentially Geekbench is forcing the Michelin Starred chef to cook Beans on Toast. Potentially therefore even I could cook more Beans on toast per hour, as I'm pretty good at such a simple meal, whereas the Michelin chef has probably never cooked it in his life.

When A14 can render 3d scenes faster, encode video faster, perform Cryptography faster etc, then it will be more "powerful" than desktop chips.

Soldato
Whilst it’s not strictly true that it will obliterate desktop chips, it’s also fake news to state that such benchmarks cannot be used to compare. Numerous experts have debunked that myth

Soldato
As others have said, mobile chips have limited instruction sets compared to X86/64 processors. They'll simply don't work for a lot of applications that need those instructions.

Soldato
Can't believe someone thought they could post this on a forum like this and think they could get away with it.

I don't understand how Geekbench became the benchmark of choice. It has always been awful.

Soldato
As others have said, mobile chips have limited instruction sets compared to X86/64 processors. They'll simply don't work for a lot of applications that need those instructions.

Limited instruction sets isn't really an issue. They can perform the same tasks it just takes more instructions to complete each task.

The difference is that ARM CPUs are RISC whereas x86_64 is CISC externally. Interestingly enough it is RISC internally.

Soldato
Isn't that the point? It takes more instructions to do the same task so comparing IPC and synthetic benchmarks which only use basic instructions meaningless.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Can't believe someone thought they could post this on a forum like this and think they could get away with it.

I don't understand how Geekbench became the benchmark of choice. It has always been awful.

Extreme apple fanboy by the looks of it. Probably owns every apple product under the sun, including a homepod

Soldato
Extreme apple fanboy by the looks of it. Probably owns every apple product under the sun, including a homepod

The apple equivalent of seaevans?

in any case, cpu improvements are always impressive. Hopefully in the future we will have mobile chips able to go toe to toe with traditional desktop versions. I'm thinking a future world of thin, cool, silent laptops running proper cpu hungry apps.

One day.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

The apple equivalent of seaevans?

in any case, cpu improvements are always impressive. Hopefully in the future we will have mobile chips able to go toe to toe with traditional desktop versions. I'm thinking a future world of thin, cool, silent laptops running proper cpu hungry apps.

One day.

Don't get me wrong, as far as phone soc's go, its incredibly impressive and very powerful. Apple have done a great job in that department, but to compare it to the likes of AMD and even Intel it is miles behind in terms of raw performance. They shouldn't even be compared as they do different things.

Once Apple comes out with its ARM chips for the 2021 macbook thats being rumoured, then you can actually compare. But to compare an iphone to a desktop.. Or even a ultrathin laptop... Thats laughable

Back
Top Bottom