The All Things IR35 Related Thread

Soldato
They don't need to class anyone as inside or outside, it's the psc job to do so like before

It's been delayed, not quashed. None of the large employers are going to wilfully bring back PSCs that are classing themselves outside for a role that was recently deemed inside, or we just throw ourselves back here in a years time. The amount of effort, work, voided contracts, umbrella payroll that's occurred is too significant to back out now. It's too little too late. It's actually just sad that it's taken a pandemic for them to take action.

Soldato
As expected, most of the big banks are sticking to their (illegal?) blanket assessments and taking no details or facts into account, and totally ignoring this 1 year delay.
It's umbrella company or leave it seems from most of them.

Sky, BT etc have all correctly said revert to BAU for now, we will review the situation in line with the HMRC and government's rulings.

Soldato
As expected, most of the big banks are sticking to their (illegal?) blanket assessments and taking no details or facts into account, and totally ignoring this 1 year delay.
It's umbrella company or leave it seems from most of them.

That's blanket banning engagement with personal service companies, not blanket assessing them as in or out, i would imagine they've simply done no assessments in those cases.

A business choosing to no longer work with personal service companies is an entirely legitimate (but crappy) thing to do. I'm expecting a lot of companies who took this route to stick with it for various reasons - the biggest one though being that a delay is just that, a delay. If they've already put their plan in motion to deal with it now and have mitigated the fallout from doing so, why cancel it all just to start over next year? It would all be wasted/duplicated effort.

Our business have gone 'BAU' for now but they're very conscious of the tension caused and amount of grief involved in administering the changes, so i'm fully expecting the same end outcome for 95% of those affected, it'll just be getting dealt with a bit slower over the next 6 to 9 months so they don't have the same deadline month panic they put themselves in this year when none of the management understood what was happening.

Soldato
That's blanket banning engagement with personal service companies, not blanket assessing them as in or out, i would imagine they've simply done no assessments in those cases.

A business choosing to no longer work with personal service companies is an entirely legitimate (but crappy) thing to do. I'm expecting a lot of companies who took this route to stick with it for various reasons - the biggest one though being that a delay is just that, a delay. If they've already put their plan in motion to deal with it now and have mitigated the fallout from doing so, why cancel it all just to start over next year? It would all be wasted/duplicated effort.

Our business have gone 'BAU' for now but they're very conscious of the tension caused and amount of grief involved in administering the changes, so i'm fully expecting the same end outcome for 95% of those affected, it'll just be getting dealt with a bit slower over the next 6 to 9 months so they don't have the same deadline month panic they put themselves in this year when none of the management understood what was happening.
No they are still engaging on PSD's just on an inside basis...

But anyways your wrong, many clients are scrapping this and allowing people to extend or join in outsie ir35 capacity

bJN

bJN

Soldato
No they are still engaging on PSD's just on an inside basis...

But anyways your wrong, many clients are scrapping this and allowing people to extend or join in outsie ir35 capacity
Indeed, where I am they've said all previous status determinations are null and void, continue business as usual until next year when hopefully things have calmed down a bit and sort it out then.

Now to decide whether to agree to an extension or not... I half-heartedly said I might not last week and the contract holder looked like someone just told him his dog died :D

Don
You would be on very shaky ground if you had an individual assessment done saying you were inside and you continue as business as usual if you were ever unlucky enough to be investigated by HMRC (it does happen).

bJN

bJN

Soldato
You would be on very shaky ground if you had an individual assessment done saying you were inside and you continue as business as usual if you were ever unlucky enough to be investigated by HMRC (it does happen).
That was my take on it as well, hence why I'm strongly considering what to do going forward.

Soldato
A rather small firm I’ve been contracting with sporadically for the last year or so asked me to continue inside IR35 from now on. Was surprised to hear this but apparently they’ve just decided that everyone is inside.

Back
Top Bottom