Sega Dreamcast

Soldato
Has anyone played the DC version of flashback?

Just picked this up for the megadrive and it's great. I then found out they released it on the DC.

I've got to look at the fan mod and perhaps the battery mod too. First I want to get a new controller, appears there's a couple of third parties releasing updated versions. Am I a bad person for not getting on with the original?

Soldato
Cool, not just me then. I thought It was maybe years of being spoiled by Playstation controllers, but even the old SNES pads were awesome and worked better. Anyway I'll keep an eye on these next gen DC controllers and post back when they become available.

Soldato
Has anyone played the DC version of flashback?

Just picked this up for the megadrive and it's great. I then found out they released it on the DC.

I've got to look at the fan mod and perhaps the battery mod too. First I want to get a new controller, appears there's a couple of third parties releasing updated versions. Am I a bad person for not getting on with the original?

Such a good game, I've only ever played it on the Megadrive though.

The sequel is worth a look also, Fade to Black, although it's a 3D game as opposed to the originals 2D.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fade_to_Black_(video_game)

Soldato
Just pre ordered one. If its as good as their N64 controllers, this should bring a new lease of life to my DC. I just can't get on with the original controller. Guess we'll see (in April!).

Soldato
Seems to be a slew of GDEMU's on ebay now, ranging from £35, anyone have any experience with any of these cheaper clones, tempted to give it a go.
I have a legit one (yes it was a miracle). They are great but obviously you have to decide if losing the cd drive is worth it. If you already have a vast collection then its probably not...
I know the clone ones are a bit hit and miss with quality - some use cheaper chips, some eventually run into timing issues that need fixing but I guess thats part of the risk of a considerably cheaper version.

Worth a shot for less than £40 id say.

Soldato
@Slurm and anybody else.

I'm looking at getting the SD card replacement as I want to dig my DC out and play some games that I've got but the discs are all a bit scratched. Especially Zombies Revenge, it's still got the pre owned GameStation sticker on it! But it crashes at level 5 all the time.

Any recommendations on where to buy? The official GDEMU at over £100 is way more than I'd like to pay.

I also would like to do the HDMI mode but that's also pretty expensive so I've found a £20 VGA box that I'm going to grab instead.

Soldato
I went with a Dreamcast HDMI cable which connects direct to the AV out as my TV no longer has a VGA in. Was a lot simpler than trying to convert the signal again. The SD card replacement I'd like to try on my spare console as I found out it locks up in games too.

Soldato
The quality is pretty good on my silly HDMI set up with multiple adapters. Cheap VGA cable to cheap VGA female to female adapter to cheap VGA -> HDMI adapter (including audio) which then plugs into my 1440p monitor (thankfully has a 4:3 mode). The whole lot cost about £15.

nA7EX07.jpg

iO6Mc0g.jpg

I would imagine a "Dreamcast HDMI cable" is still using the VGA mode of the Dreamcast like the VGA box and I am not sure what processing the VGA box does. They're pretty old now (I had one about 10 years ago at uni) so I wouldn't be surprised if the tech had been streamlined into a cable adapter thing like mine - the adapter is about 1/4 of the size of the old VGA boxes (but obviously can't switch to composite etc)

Soldato
IMG-3221.jpg" alt="IMG-3221" border="0"

Here's my boxed games collection! Not pictured the key games I don't have in boxes (sonic adventure 2, virtual athlete 2k and headhunter)

Big update is I replaced the battery in my DC so it now remembers the time... also throughly recommend the vga box for games that support it, otherwise the rgb cable does a standup job

Back
Top Bottom