Would you accept a new car with issues?

Soldato
I'm glad you got the result you were after.

I can't say I'm surprised that the dealer thought it was ok just to hand that over, they probably didn't even check it properly. When I picked up my pre-reg company car which the salesman referred to as a "brand new car" at least a dozen times it was hammering down with rain. A quick look an it appears perfect, first time I got to look at it properly... multiple scratches, swirl marks all over, gloss trim that had swirled so badly it was matte, scratched interior, broken boot trim, scuff on the boot down to the primer where it looked like a dirty dealer plate had been swinging off the rear wiper, missing locking nut covers and FIVE massive bird poop marks in the clear coat.

As a work car that someone else had paid for I didn't worry about it too much but I should have taken it back out of principle.

Man of Honour
I'm glad you got the result you were after.

I can't say I'm surprised that the dealer thought it was ok just to hand that over, they probably didn't even check it properly. When I picked up my pre-reg company car which the salesman referred to as a "brand new car" at least a dozen times it was hammering down with rain. A quick look an it appears perfect, first time I got to look at it properly... multiple scratches, swirl marks all over, gloss trim that had swirled so badly it was matte, scratched interior, broken boot trim, scuff on the boot down to the primer where it looked like a dirty dealer plate had been swinging off the rear wiper, missing locking nut covers and FIVE massive bird poop marks in the clear coat.

As a work car that someone else had paid for I didn't worry about it too much but I should have taken it back out of principle.

I wonder sometimes in these situations if some of these "new" cars aren't being given out as courtesy cars for a bit, etc. before they sell as "new" :(

Soldato
I'd accept it if everything was rectified. But I'd want a full respray and wouldn't accept that unless it was perfect. All other issues would need to be sorted and I'd want a disco sport as a loan car while it was being done.

This, they'd get one chance and one chance only to get it perfect, plus i'd be looking for a goodwill gesture for time wasted. But if it wasn't perfect at the second chance i'd be rejecting it.

[Edit] Just seen you got refund, all's well then. Also missed the bit about a "bump", do they mean it's been in an accident and then just handed over to you as new? Shocking!

Soldato
I wonder sometimes in these situations if some of these "new" cars aren't being given out as courtesy cars for a bit, etc. before they sell as "new" :(
I always read "ex demonstrator" as actually meaning "ex courtesy car" or "dealership runaround". In my case though the car only had 10 miles on it when I picked it up.

Funnily enough I went down there to look at an ex demonstrator only to be told "Oh, one of the salesmen has it at the moment." Oh, that's a shame. When will he be back? "A few days, yeah... he's moving house so he wanted an estate to be able to cart all his stuff around in while he moves." :rolleyes: My boss pursued it as it was a bit cheaper than the one I ended up with, he said when he finally saw it he ruled it out in seconds as it was trashed inside.

Maybe I'd end up the same if I worked in the industry (I like to think not though) where you don't look at the stock as someones future expensive possession, something they've saved for and agonised over making a final decision on but instead just see them as stock.

Soldato

Depending on the brand/model/demand/production plant, they often spend a few weeks sat outside waiting to be shipped into the destination country and then potentially another few weeks to be distributed to dealerships, it’s even worse when a production issue is identified and they all need a fix pre-dealer. Toyota’s recent RAV launch for example all needed work done on the brake system once they arrived in the UK which added 2 weeks to each order once they were unloaded from the ship.

Caporegime
Glad you got a refund.

Had a few chips on the bonnet my brand new Fiesta ST, which stupidly i let them respray...never again.

Made multiple terrible jobs of it. In the end i got them to swap the bonnet from another car which fortunately matched perfectly.

If i ever get a brand new car again that has any damage/faults on delivery i would be rejecting it straight away.

Back
Top Bottom