• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
big is probably 50% faster than the Xbox

and 3080ti another 10% or 20% faster than big Navi

I would say this is reasonably fair as an assumption but I guess we will see. If AMD can fit 8 Zen 2 cores at 3.8Ghz and 52CUs at 1.8Ghz into 173W then a 300W card 'could' be an absolute beast.

Hopefully there will be top end competition again.

Associate
Meh, postponing the news hopefully shouldn't change any release dates.
err. That is some optimistic thinking. You might want to check out the news etc. Planet Earth will be shutting down for a while (nvidia cards are also made on planet Earth). If only this virus kicked off 6 months from now we'd have higher frame rates while self-isolating/apocalypting.

Soldato
err. That is some optimistic thinking. You might want to check out the news etc. Planet Earth will be shutting down for a while (nvidia cards are also made on planet Earth). If only this virus kicked off 6 months from now we'd have higher frame rates while self-isolating/apocalypting.

I'm not sure if peeps will panic buy trolley fulls to 3080ti's to wipe there ass with

Soldato
But is that TFLOPS equivalent to Turing? Or is it similar to RDNA1? As the 5700XT has 10TFLOPS at complete stock and that’s 50% behind 2080Ti at 4k.

Re TF vs Performance. Data taken from TechPowerUp. You can see that even though a 2080 Ti has 72% more Tflops, it is only 58% faster (vs 5700 XT). Compared to 2080 S, same story (50% more Tflops, 29% faster). If we look only at the Tflops for performance, we'd expect a XSX to be close to a 2080 S. In reality, it will be faster because it has more bandwidth as well (compared to 5700 XT). Not to mention, it will be faster just due to specific for-RDNA2 optimizations anyway (in actual games, not abstractly).

G7nxvhI.png

tl;dr RIP anything below a 2080 Ti. at least value-wise.

If you didn't want to wait, which card is best ££/perf today?

Depends on requirements too. If you want 60 fps but the best value card gives you 40, then is it really the best value for you? For 1080p & 1440p it will be very hard to compete with a 5700 that's tuned (unlocked power) because they're so cheap. That's assuming you want to skip RT & DLSS, otherwise it's 2060S/2070S.

Associate
Depends on requirements too. If you want 60 fps but the best value card gives you 40, then is it really the best value for you? For 1080p & 1440p it will be very hard to compete with a 5700 that's tuned (unlocked power) because they're so cheap. That's assuming you want to skip RT & DLSS, otherwise it's 2060S/2070S.

Thanks, playing on 4k tv @60hz.

2070S then maybe, out of the loop on best model/coolers, any recommendations?

I appreciate your time mate.

GAC

GAC

Soldato

honestly 2080ti for 4k anything just so you have the headroom, yeah you can tweak settings down but if you are going for 4k on a large screen you want all the bells and whistles on baring high level fsaa as that does get a bit redundant at high resolution's.

Associate
honestly 2080ti for 4k anything just so you have the headroom, yeah you can tweak settings down but if you are going for 4k on a large screen you want all the bells and whistles on baring high level fsaa as that does get a bit redundant at high resolution's.

Cheers, little out of my price range. I only game now and then so can't justify the price at the minute.

Probably lower settings down a bit, happy to get a 2070S just unsure on the best model to buy.

Soldato

I would look at it based on warranty & service. Overall I'd say the Gigabyte 3-fan looks good because you get all 3 years with OCUK in case of issues and they have UK RMA anyway, so it gets dealt with quickly. It is £30 above the cheapest though. Cooling wise they're all quite similar, it will depend on the noise you can tolerate, none will be obnoxiously loud like old blower cards.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1b3-gi.html

And yeah, you can definitely get away with it at 4K with settings tweaks. I can't tell you how many times you can get +50% performance from changing settings to ones which barely look any different but give you back so much. And in some cases the difference from 4K to 1800p is also very small, so that's a boost as well. Plus the future is temporal upscaling anyway, so that's gonna be featured more & more as time goes on.

I also play on 4K TV but with a V64 in my case. It's honestly fine, and for a 2070S you'll do great.

Associate
I would look at it based on warranty & service. Overall I'd say the Gigabyte 3-fan looks good because you get all 3 years with OCUK in case of issues and they have UK RMA anyway, so it gets dealt with quickly. It is £30 above the cheapest though. Cooling wise they're all quite similar, it will depend on the noise you can tolerate, none will be obnoxiously loud like old blower cards.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1b3-gi.html

And yeah, you can definitely get away with it at 4K with settings tweaks. I can't tell you how many times you can get +50% performance from changing settings to ones which barely look any different but give you back so much. And in some cases the difference from 4K to 1800p is also very small, so that's a boost as well. Plus the future is temporal upscaling anyway, so that's gonna be featured more & more as time goes on.

I also play on 4K TV but with a V64 in my case. It's honestly fine, and for a 2070S you'll do great.

That's perfect, thanks very much for your detailed post Poneros will take a look now.

Soldato
Tflops in its self is meaningless , like core count on it own or clock speed

Yeah some forget that the API & platform do matter also. Gnm & Gnmx API on PS4 has proven to be far superior to DX12 XBX & PC using. Let alone DX11.
And the new low level API for the PS5 SONY made with AMD would also be on the same line. And lets not forget the GPU Scrubber. Something many ignore how it would impact performance....

Back
Top Bottom