Football and the Coronavirus

Don
Well, nothing is certain is it? But the outcome of yesterday's meeting was that all UEFA member FA's agreed that completing their respective league fixtures is the first thing to do when matches start to get played again. There is no plan or contingency to cancel.
That's not quite true. They've basically said their aim is to complete the season by the end of June and gone on to say that they could potentially delay the start of next season if the current season isn't finished by then. There's no clear decision over just how long they will go beyond the end of June though.

They want to complete this season because the financial implications of not doing so could be devestating however a point will come where completing this season may prevent next season being completed too. At that point a decision would need to be made about how this season is concluded, if at all because the lost revenue from the remainder of this season won't be as much as the lost revenue for next season and not completing the Euros. Pure guesswork but I think the absolute latest, and this would require a lot of compromises too, we'd need to be finished this season by the end of August but possibly more realistically, end of July.
It was cancelled after Boris banned mass gatherings.They may have been able to race it behind closed doors or have it at a later date. But nope scrapped it.
You didn't answer the question and what you've said is factually wrong too. The government had only advised against mass gatherings, the Jockey Club then decided to cancel it. The government didn't and couldn't. You see where this is going?

It's really not difficult to understand, the government can and will only determine if or when we can play sports, go outside and so on. How business and leagues resolve unfinished business when they resume is entirely down to them.

Don
It was cancelled as a consequence of Boris's advice.
The government didn't cancel it then. The Jockey Club took the decision to cancel based on the government's advice, football leagues have taken the decision to postpone based on the government advice (they took the decision before but anyway), some boxing events have been cancelled, others have been postponed. So you can now see that the government won't decide if seasons or events are simply cancelled or postponed, individual Leagues and organisations will make their own decision based on that advice. We finally got there.

Soldato
You and everyone else that just repeated what you said, have done nothing to convince me that the government could and would have some input in what happens. I guess we'll see fairly soon.

Don
You and everyone else that just repeated what you said, have done nothing to convince me that the government could and would have some input in what happens. I guess we'll see fairly soon.
The government will have a huge input as they have the power to prevent games being played but the ultimate decision on where we start from when the government allows mass gatherings will not be made by them, it will be made by Leagues and football governing bodies.

Soldato
Lol I just put sky sports news on and 2 people just said we don't know what will happen, we'll see what the football association and the government decide.

Edit: and another! That's 3 in 5 mins.

Soldato
That's not quite true. They've basically said their aim is to complete the season by the end of June and gone on to say that they could potentially delay the start of next season if the current season isn't finished by then. There's no clear decision over just how long they will go beyond the end of June though.

Yeah, the statement didn't mention how long they would go beyond June, but did say "even if" it went beyond June. I think it's fair to assume though, that them saying there's no scenario being mapped that doesn't include not finishing the league fixtures (with no mention of a deadline) is either a downright lie, or it's part of the commitment to getting the fixtures complete as the first priority as stated.

Soldato
Lol I just put sky sports news on and 2 people just said we don't know what will happen, we'll see what the football association and the government decide.

Yes, the government will decide when to advise that the conditions are "safe" for football matches to go ahead. The FAs, under direction from and as part of UEFA will decide what fixtures should be played first (that's what yesterday's meeting was about). The FA and the Premier League will then arrange fixtures.

The government will at no point have any involvement in telling anyone what competition is being played.

Soldato
I didn't say what competition will be played. I believe it has to be all competitions or none.
If the games can't be completed within a reasonable timeframe the choice will be end the season as it stands or void it. At that point I think to avoid years and years of lawsuits th government will say void.

Don
Yeah, the statement didn't mention how long they would go beyond June, but did say "even if" it went beyond June. I think it's fair to assume though, that them saying there's no scenario being mapped that doesn't include not finishing the league fixtures (with no mention of a deadline) is either a downright lie, or it's part of the commitment to getting the fixtures complete as the first priority as stated.

Again, not quite. It says they're committed to completing the season by June 30 and then in a later point it says "Possible adaptations to CL and EL qualifiers in case of late completion of the 19/20 season i.e. after June 30"

The transaltion is, we're going to try our best to get it done by June 30 but maybe we can squeeze in a bit more football by juggling CL qualfiers etc about. There's no hard committment to complete this season regardless of how long things drag on for. They're going to try their best but it's not a given.

It's almost as if you cannot read and understand what people are telling you.

Soldato
I didn't say what competition will be played. I believe it has to be all competitions or none.
If the games can't be completed within a reasonable timeframe the choice will be end the season as it stands or void it. At that point I think to avoid years and years of lawsuits th government will say void.

IF, games and competitions are deemed void in order to avoid litigation (which is a very big IF), it ultimately still be will be the decision of each league and association. It takes some imagination to think the government (especially this one that's trying to get away with doing as little as possible) will be the ones stepping in and doing that. This isn't cold war soviet bloc.

Soldato
This is absolutely hilarious, the idea that if the Government said football could recommence from September 1st and the FA said 'great, we'll finish off the 2019/20 games first' that the government would intervene and say 'no, you must void that season and start the 2020/21 season'

Don
Lol charming.

I find it amazing that you and others think someone from the government won't be at the meeting tomorrow.
They weren't at the meeting last week nor were they at UEFA's meeting. But who knows they might be at this one, I doubt it but they might. Even if they were, they won't be telling the League that they have to finish the remainder of this season nor will they tell them they have to start next season when play resumes though. The only advice the government will be giving is when football can resume with crowds.

Seriously though, this has been done to death. I know we've got a lot of time to fill without football but lets ration the senseless debates for more desperate times.

Soldato
Yeah I'm sorry this has got out of hand. It started as a comment asking if they would get involved and has snowballed. At this rate I'll be in dialysis later tonight defending my stance when I should be chatting with the nurses. :D

Back
Top Bottom