• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
A random thought seeing that it looks like RDNA 2 doesn't need a dedicated RayTracing core? Going from the Xbox series X it looks like its leveraging the stream processors for Ray Tracing do you think AMD might release support for RDNA 1 GPUs when RDNA 2 releases? Just like Nvidia has done with older GPUs yeah sure performance is trash because its missing the RTX cores but AMD is taking a different approach it would seem with RT on the consoles and I guess desktop will follow.

Do correct me if I miss understanding anything here.

Soldato
But they are both openworld games,and so is Witcher 3. It's those kind of games which are more receptive to faster RAM and faster storage due to their scale.The fact is these games have one or two primary threads,ie,such as rendering threads etc which get hammered,so more memory bandwidth is useful. They also prefer SSDs over HDD,again due to the amount of data which needs to be loaded into the memory.

Also remember,this is an Intel test set-up - Ryzen likes faster RAM even more.

The problem here is the RAM cartel who held back adoption of higher speed RAM for years - look when DDR4 was released for desktop,and only now after over 5 years is 3200MHZ~3600MHZ DDR4 RAM is affordable and even then timings can be crap too. Remember,Haswell E was out 5 years ago,so that is how long its taken!

Witcher 3 is fine even with lower spec RAM speed if you look at the minimums (what matters most), and even the average fps doesn't have a meaningful difference. Going to 3000-3200MHz (which is rather common) and it's more of an exercise in numbers than something you'd actually feel.

F4 and Arma 3 are just based on outdated tech. Battlefield (even older ones) have a lot going on and run much better than those. Just Cause 4, 3, Wildlands, RDR 2, etc., ran without a problem, while I could not even get 60FPS on a empty map on the latest addition to ArmA.

I'm not saying faster RAM does not help, just saying you don't really need crazy fast ones unless you have to brute force your way through some poorly coded games. Same with SSDs stuff. Although I have 32GB of RAM, all games just fail to use that and prefer to stream from the disk, ergo microstutter and probably longer loading times.

Soldato
I wish people actually read the DF article fully or watched the video they made on it. The SSD itself with decompression can deliver over 6GB/s.

The PS5 specifications have also been released:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...s-and-tech-that-deliver-sonys-next-gen-vision

7O4myUl.png

It uses a custom 12 channel SSD,which delivers upto 8~9GB/s bandwidth after decompression.

Again like the Xbox it uses custom I/O hardware:

Also from the PS5 specs missing a AMD GPU-soundchip, which 1.84TFlop would be handling the raytraced sound. Something the Xbox would have to handle through its APU or not at all. (a less powerful such chip is found on the PSVR brick).
And we know nothing about the GPU Scrubber which is a custom part of the AMD GPU and proprietary to SONY that even AMD cannot use it on it's PC GPU (or any other product) apparently.

Soldato
A random thought seeing that it looks like RDNA 2 doesn't need a dedicated RayTracing core? Going from the Xbox series X it looks like its leveraging the stream processors for Ray Tracing do you think AMD might release support for RDNA 1 GPUs when RDNA 2 releases? Just like Nvidia has done with older GPUs yeah sure performance is trash because its missing the RTX cores but AMD is taking a different approach it would seem with RT on the consoles and I guess desktop will follow.

Do correct me if I miss understanding anything here.

Who knows. From what the guy said tonight at the presentation, implied that the GPU chip is programmable to add more extensions in relation to Ray tracing.
But we do know is using the AMD hybrid approach with CPU & GPU working together to deal with RT.

Associate
was expecting a ssd for sure this time as honestly the extra cost is nothing when you look at form factor and heat/power savings as well as the bump in performance, i was surprised it is a pcie gen 4 (or whatever it is as i dont think ms has actually confirmed pcie4) let alone a 1tb nvme as the cheapest on pc partpicker is £293. going to be some rather upset console buyers come end of year and not just due to lack of stock :D
I've seen a 1tb fast nvme drive today for under £150 so you're clearly happy to pay over what something really costs:D

Associate
was expecting a ssd for sure this time as honestly the extra cost is nothing when you look at form factor and heat/power savings as well as the bump in performance, i was surprised it is a pcie gen 4 (or whatever it is as i dont think ms has actually confirmed pcie4) let alone a 1tb nvme as the cheapest on pc partpicker is £293. going to be some rather upset console buyers come end of year and not just due to lack of stock :D
You can buy a fast 1TB nvme ssd today for £150:D

Soldato
I've seen a 1tb fast nvme drive today for under £150 so you're clearly happy to pay over what something really costs:D

Those drives don't meet approved spec. To put an m2 drive into the PS5 it needs to: Using PCIE4, Allow for AT LEAST 5.5Gbps sustained read/write. The PS5 uses it's own custom NAND controller and the m2 SSD you buy also needs to meet the PS5's controller specs - what that spec is, is unknown but Sony will validate and provide an approve drive list sometime after the PS5 launches - just don't expect to be able to put a m2 SSD into your PS5 on launch day

Permabanned
If anything like other devices i.e. the Nvidia Shield TV, the built in storage is specially made to work with the built in Encryption.

You can add a very fast USB 3.X stick or a fast SSD (560MB/s) in a USB 3.X Caddy to the NV Shield and it will be very slow (some of the fastest Drives are the slowest in this use).

There is a list of one tested to work better than others though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its 1920x700 cause that's what that tech demo ran at hah :p
Hahahaha :p

Btw it seems to use AMD RT would need W10 2004. It won't run on previous versions as MS won't support DXR1.1 on them. Probably because it is utilizing the new WDDM 2.7.

Same would apply for all RTX cards also trying to use DXR1.1 on DX12U

Last edited:
Soldato
Article about AMD RT on DXR1.1 specs
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/announcing-directx-12-ultimate/

DXR 1.1 is an incremental addition over the top of DXR 1.0, adding three major new capabilities:

• GPU Work Creation now allows Raytracing. This enables shaders on the GPU to invoke raytracing without an intervening round-trip back to the CPU. This ability is useful for adaptive raytracing scenarios like shader-based culling / sorting / classification / refinement. Basically, scenarios that prepare raytracing work on the GPU and then immediately spawn it.
  • Streaming engines can more efficiently load new raytracing shaders as needed when the player moves around the world and new objects become visible.
  • Inline raytracing is an alternative form of raytracing that gives developers the option to drive more of the raytracing process, as opposed to handling work scheduling entirely to the system (dynamic-shading). It is available in any shader stage, including compute shaders, pixel shaders etc. Both the dynamic-shading and inline forms of raytracing use the same opaque acceleration structures.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Lol. Poor Gregster keeps forgetting his login details. That is why he has not been seen around here much lately :p

Must be a side effect of having a boat load RT titles to play on his 2080Ti :D

Just kidding Gregster ;)

GAC

GAC

Soldato
why do amd/ati tech demos all look horrid. going back years when they released on to demo their latest tech it just looked bad.

as for what fps and res it was running at who knows. but like always wait for the cards to show up and run actual ray tracing games before passing judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom