Question for Mac Users

Soldato
Sorry for the vague title :)

I have a conundrum. I write for a living and I spend 8 or so hours per day typing on my PC. I'm doing pretty well and so bought a massively overspecced computer for my requirements - 9900k, 2080ti blah blah, just because I got excited about tech and spent too much.

Unfortunately, there's one software program that would be useful to me - Vellum - and it's only available on Macs.

Since I only word process and link to OneDrive for backups, I'm wondering if I should sell my PC and switch to using a Mac. I already have a widescreen 120hz alienware monitor and a Philips 4k 40" monitor which I'd ideally like to keep using. I also have an ace usb mechanical keyboard that is going nowhere.

Will a Mac mini connect straight to the keyboard and monitor, so that I just need to get used to MacOS? I was looking at imacs, but I really like the Philips monitor and 27" isn't big enough, 5k or not.

I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me what I need from the apple world and if it'll run Word (my preferred word processor) and so on, so that I could make the swap. I'm looking to make a profit from the sale of the PC (ideally, not essential) and have the same super smoothness from having a high spec PC while just doing my basic stuff.

Bonus point for anyone who can tell me about liabilities for selling the PC. I could gift it to my wife I suppose, but don't know how old it has to be before I can do so.

Soldato
Word will run on literally anything. A Mac mini sounds like s good idea if you don't want portability.

As for selling your pc, price check it in the members market on the forum and sell it there once you know what is worth.

Soldato
Congrats on realising what you should have done at the start --- what do you want to do with your computer, rather than what is the best spec. Specs mean nothing if it doesn't do what you need it to do.

Now you have realised you nee to run mac software, then yes, get the (brand new, out this week!) mac mini. It will do everything you ask of it.

Soldato
OP
Word will run on literally anything. A Mac mini sounds like s good idea if you don't want portability.

I just checked a base spec mac mini and it's 800 quid. The hardware will run basic stuff for years won't it? Will I even need 16gb ram? The base storage will be fine.

Soldato
I just checked a base spec mac mini and it's 800 quid. The hardware will run basic stuff for years won't it? Will I even need 16gb ram? The base storage will be fine.

That will be absolutely fine. Really. I'm 99% sure you can upgrade the ram if you want in the future in about less than 5 mins (pop the bottom off, and there they are..) I say 99% because it's just an update of the 2018 that you could upgrade but I haven't found a difinitive source for the literally out yesterday model.

but you don't need 16gb to run word or whatever you running. The mac mini is a really, really well rounded computer that will last years. People are still using the 2012 models and running the latest OS catalina. That's an 8 year old machine!

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice- I'm not sure I've seen the 9900k get past about 15pc utilisation. Still, I felt good knowing I had all that spare capacity, raring to go.

Commissario
Oh, that new Mac mini is nice.

Personally, I'd buy the cheaper one (because the 250Gb internal SSD is plenty for me) but spec the CPU up to the higher one. That way you pay the same price as the system with the 500Gb SSD but get the faster CPU and smaller SSD.

/edit - Like this:

1gsrr4t.png

Oh, if only I had that cash spare, I'd order one of these now :)

Permabanned
What about a 16” MacBook Pro? I have one and connect it to a 43” screen, it’s super powerful plus portable when you need it.

Back
Top Bottom