• UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
There are two schools of thought here.

One is MORE POWwweerrr

The other is be efficient with the power you have.

It's not a question of which is more powerful as that's obvious, but throwing everything and the kitchen sink at the problem isn't always the answer.

Less power and more efficiency is the console way and always has been.

If the games come to XSX and it isn't pushed too close cost wise to just building a decent PC (I'm looking more 1 or 2 years into its life cycle) then one will likely be sitting under my TV.

As long as Sony stay on track with the games I love (come on MS and Sony show us the games!) I will likely get one at or pretty close to launch.

Soldato
Sooooo how good does Sony's SSD sound? Seems like DF and other Tech reviewers are ******* then self's at it as well as the tempest sound.

Since people are throwing percentages abouts it's more than 50% faster and smashes what the new Xbox has.

Is this a game changer? Better designed world's more immersion? Fluid gaming?

Soldato
We won’t really know until we see them both in real world scenarios.

I prefer the sound of the Xbox... but I’m too heavily invested into psn to switch now. And I don’t really want to get both. Hum

Soldato
I'm more invested in psn as well. I love the Sony exclusives so I will be getting a PS5 first. If MS turn it around in terms of exclusives (this gen has been a disappointment for me) I may pick one up later on.

Top 100 games available BC is a great start.

Don
We won’t really know until we see them both in real world scenarios.

I prefer the sound of the Xbox... but I’m too heavily invested into psn to switch now. And I don’t really want to get both. Hum

I'm exactly the same. I have no brand loyalty and I keep switching between the two, I've have had the Pro since it came out and despite being adverse to the controller for years, I now love it. It's hard holding the Xbox pad!

I don't really play that many games neither so exclusives don't mean much to me. I guess I will wait for proper reviews and so forth.

Caporegime
I don't own a single game for Xbox apart from my two discs of Mass Effect 2 and 3. So I'll be starting from scratch. PS4 I have a library of 70-odd games but they cost me £1000! That's the only downside with digital console gaming, the rip-off prices. I'll be getting both eventually. I just think PC gaming is too expensive for the way I use it, which is pretty much like a 60fps console. Don't use M/K, Ultra Widescreen, 144Hz monitor, etc.

Soldato
This tempest audio baloney sounds like a pipe dream. They’re not getting convincing 3D audio from stereo setups, and at that point they might as well just use Dolby Atmos like Xbox has been doing for ages already.

Wonder if this means the PS5 won’t support Atmos for Blu-ray then... guess so.

fez

fez

Caporegime
This tempest audio baloney sounds like a pipe dream. They’re not getting convincing 3D audio from stereo setups, and at that point they might as well just use Dolby Atmos like Xbox has been doing for ages already.

I do always wonder about these audio standards and quality when most people either have crap (by audio standards) headphones or just use their TV for sound. Even a half decent 5.1 system isn't going to be much shakes in the grand scheme of things. Its like saying this runs at 500FPS. I mean, well done but nothing will do that justice and we won't notice it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I don't own a single game for Xbox apart from my two discs of Mass Effect 2 and 3. So I'll be starting from scratch. PS4 I have a library of 70-odd games but they cost me £1000! That's the only downside with digital console gaming, the rip-off prices. I'll be getting both eventually. I just think PC gaming is too expensive for the way I use it, which is pretty much like a 60fps console. Don't use M/K, Ultra Widescreen, 144Hz monitor, etc.
Wow, that’s mad. I very rarely buy a digital game at full price. Will never buy digital on a console, only on PC for my Steam library.

How comes you do not buy, play and sell the game? As an example I have both Resident Evil 3 and Final Fantasy 7 Remake’s on pre-order. Most people will have spent £100 right there. I anticipate the cost will be closer to a tenner for me once I sell the games. Max it would be is double that if I keep them for longer than anticipated.

I played all the exclusives on PS4 recently and they never cost me more than a fiver each after selling them on.

Caporegime
That's the thing @TNA. Maybe only two or three of those were £50 or more - Horizon Zero Dawn, Mass Effect Andromeda and Borderlands 3. Everything else was £25 or less but it soon racks up. I am totally digital now but after hearing about PS5 BC pickle, I wish I hadn't bothered and bought the discs instead - for the third party games at least. I'm confident the exclusives will all get BC access.

Soldato
I think any one expecting Sony to be good at backwards compatible games needs to look at there history.

Microsoft have been great at it since day one, Sony have always made half an effort at it, it no surprise there is confusion with it.

Soldato
Sooooo how good does Sony's SSD sound? Seems like DF and other Tech reviewers are ******* then self's at it as well as the tempest sound.

Since people are throwing percentages abouts it's more than 50% faster and smashes what the new Xbox has.

Is this a game changer? Better designed world's more immersion? Fluid gaming?

It's really not gonna make a difference, and certainly not until 3+ years into it. It's like having a really fast car but only driving it on country roads. You simply can't make use of THAT much extra storage speed, people aren't even using common sense. You're not gonna have 16K textures all of a sudden and not really for this console life cycle. Probably not even 8K. So what's gonna use all that speed? No one's answering because there's nothing to it. You have to go out of the way to make a contrived scenario in order to actually saturate PS5's SSD and therefore have an advantage over the XSX. And even then, no one's asking if there's diminishing returns to that efforts' visibility.

That's why I'm saying XSX's GPU focus is so much smarter. You can always & immediately use extra GPU grunt.

Soldato
I've never paid full price for a digital game on PSN. All my games are either from PS+ or sales. I own all the Naughty Dog games digitally and I like to play through them at least once a year. It would be nice to be able to continue that into the next gen.

Soldato
Problem is.. Sony exclusives are second to none. And I want to play those exclusives. So I’m thinking ps5. Just hope it’s quiet this time around. (Doubting it though)

I just want to see the console now. And go from there.

Soldato
After watching both DF videos on both consoles I get the feeling that Microsoft despite some unique features went for the more brute force approach. Sony seem to have done a bit more innovation, main components not as fast but their SSD/throughput tech is much more interesting from a technical perspective. How it translates into games we'll see but I see it as the PS5 having say 80-90% graphical clarity (and matching framerate) as the XBSX but the potential to load in 1-2 seconds as opposed to 5+. Throughout a whole game play through some people may see that as more of an advantage.

Soldato
It's really not gonna make a difference, and certainly not until 3+ years into it. It's like having a really fast car but only driving it on country roads. You simply can't make use of THAT much extra storage speed, people aren't even using common sense. You're not gonna have 16K textures all of a sudden and not really for this console life cycle. Probably not even 8K. So what's gonna use all that speed? No one's answering because there's nothing to it. You have to go out of the way to make a contrived scenario in order to actually saturate PS5's SSD and therefore have an advantage over the XSX. And even then, no one's asking if there's diminishing returns to that efforts' visibility.

That's why I'm saying XSX's GPU focus is so much smarter. You can always & immediately use extra GPU grunt.
That's a pretty poor answer. For a start a fast car on a country road?? Really are you basing that on top speed or acceleration?

Also they have already showed the benefits in the Spiderman demo ages ago.

Don

Because I game share, I have to buy digital, but in theory I'm paying half price for the digital RRP, it still means it's less than the physical version of the game, just.

I have tons of games both on Live and PSN.

Soldato

Seems you didn't own a PS3, or a R9 290X/390X playing Thief on Mantle. When you do come back.
Also I am certain you do not own a PSVR which has a lesser powerful sound chip, making the cheap headphones coming with it having mind blowing experience.
Hell even games like Fallout 3 sounded better on the PS3 than on PC and had a SB audigy back then with 5.1 setting. (and played the game on both platforms and always prefered the PS3 one).

Absolutely nothing compares to PC these days, trust me. Especialy Dolby Atmos is sub par compared to the Tempest
And thats something SONY was always ahead on small things. Lets not forget all the nay sayers about PS3 coming with Blu-ray, having everyone crying that DVD is fine on the Xbox 360 and was a big baloney because HDDVD would prevail, which was an external add on to the 360.....

Soldato
I have a PSVR, the sound from the built in earbuds is very average. In actualy fact, I put Ace Combat VR on yesterday and chose to use my surround setup rather than the earbuds as it sounded more immersive.

Also, PS3... what are you referring to? Nothing special about PS3 audio...

Soldato
Sound is very important to me, I feel it really adds to the immersion in some games. Yes yes I know headphones aren't true surround but I really like the SBX processing from my SB G6, the positional cues are great (Fidelio X2 headphones) and it's a great alternative for someone who doesn't have the space for a proper surround setup. That said, I'm not hugely excited about the PS5 audio stuff because I already feel content with what I have. The Xbox surround thing was great too IMO.

Back
Top Bottom