What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Not yet seen 1917 but Fury deteriorated into a generic Hollywood action flick.

Agreed. There was some promise at the start and then it hit Rambo levels of silly at the end.

At least it was entertaining.

All subjective of course, but I was gripped from start to finish with 1917. Partly due to the camera work, which was stunning, but also for the atmosphere it set. It reminded me a little The Thin Red Line.

Caporegime
The Tale of Princess Kaguya

I watched this in the cinema, and reviewed it previously but it's now on Netflix so I gave it a rewatch. It stands up very well, dripping in beauty and charm, and the story made more sense to me this time although it's all rather odd and slow paced. It's based on a 10th century Japanese story so I guess that's not too surprising.

Another Ghibli masterpiece 9/10

Caporegime
^^ Haha, I started watching that last night. 'Ti's one I haven't seen before.

I was surprised that Palthrow died so early on in the film.

Soldato
Onward (2020)

Enjoyable Pixar movie with a sweet emotional reveal (if you can call it that).
Onward will be arriving early on digital and on Disney+! Starring MCU stars Tom Holland and Chris Pratt, the film will be available for digital purchase and on Movies Anywhere beginning today at 5:00PM PST/ 8:00PM EST. It will also be receiving an early streaming debut on Disney+ on April 3. in the usa ;)

Associate
Ip Man (2008) - 8/10

A powerful story about loss, loyalty and top quality martial arts.

The first act is funny but very jarring when it moves into the main part of the film which is more morose and serious.

The acting quality varies, but the fight scenes are great, although some of the sound effects when they do some of the moves feel unnecessary.

For a biography it skips over a lot of his life, but I guess that will be covered in the other films.

Last edited:
Soldato
original flatliners on horror channel this evening ... Romeros land of the dead saturday week -
the day of the dead meme of the folks visiting the shopping centre parallels with the covid panic buying ?

Associate
Ip Man 2: Legend of the Grandmaster (2010) - 9/10

A more traditional martial arts film with great fight scenes and style more frequently on a larger scale.

Good story showing the struggle of trying to find your place in the world whilst maintaining your culture and heritage and although the final fight is dramatic and exciting, the British villains are almost caricatures which spoils things a bit.

Feels a bit like Rocky at time, but the solid acting performance of the calm and humble Ip Man makes it a treat.

Associate
Started watching Don't F with Cats the other night.
Found it really difficult to watch at the start and literally had to cover my eyes as I do not want to see animal cruelty but felt it did a good job of showing just enough so you feel revulsion but not enough that you want to turn off.
Still got a couple of episodes to watch I think but certainly a pretty messed up individual. :(

Associate
I watched The Bourne Identity and The Bourne Supremacy last night. Good action movies which thankfully isn't relying too much on CGI as many movies does nowadays. The only pet hate I hate with this movies are the "based on books" as they are so really different to the books. It should rather been "very loosely based on the books by". Going to watch the Bourne Ultimatum and Legacy later today and depending on time I might finish of with the Jason Bourne movie.

Soldato
watched The Bourne Identity and The Bourne Supremacy last night.

Having not seen any of those before, I ended up watching all back to back over a few weeks. If you've not watched the 3rd film yet your set treat, imho it's the best of the first 3. There's a lot of back story guff, but flow of the film is ramped up making it less laborious and a lot more fun.

Back
Top Bottom