• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
I take it you only read this article because nowhere in the Khronos Press Release or Blog does it say this is 'based on Nvidia extensions.'

It says it provides the same functionality as Nvidia extensions plus extras but that isn't the same thing.

It was on the Khronos blog like a month ago and some Vulkan RT game developers were talking about on some other tech sites, perhaps Beyond3D.

This is not surprising, because nvidia's Vulkan RT extension were a direct copy of the DX12 API, and Vulkan uses the same HLSL shading language as DX12 where the RT specific shading code exists. Vulkan API is trying to stay as close to DX12 as possible.

Associate
If going Nvidia a 2070 super of some kind.

Whether or not that's the price/performance king is debatable.

The 5700XT and 5700 are cheaper and mostly equivalent performance.

Thanks dude, grabbed a 2070S Windforce, was thinking of the 5700XT but saw there were driver issues recently.

Patiently waiting for it to arrive. :D

Soldato
The console guys rekon Series X = high end PC so therefore be more cost effective to get a Series X for gaming and do away with PC.

What do PC master race think? Spend Series X money on equivalent priced GPU that hopefully blows Series X ?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The console guys rekon Series X = high end PC so therefore be more cost effective to get a Series X for gaming and do away with PC.

What do PC master race think? Spend Series X money on equivalent priced GPU that hopefully blows Series X ?
With the PC you already have, say when next gen stuff is out, all you need to do is slot in a £400-£500 GPU and at the very least you will match it, but more than likely beat it. After that PC superiority will increase with time as better cards come out.

For someone who does not have a good pc or is on a crappy laptop however, the series x is a no brainer imo.

Soldato

It's down to what you already have. Both in terms of hardware & games. If you have a lot to upgrade on your PC then it's not a bad idea to get a next-gen console for the first year or two while PC market starts passing consoles in performance/$. Especially in the case of XSX as it's going to have a cheap library (game pass) for the duration. The re-sell value of consoles holds well, so you'd not lose much & for games you buy (physically) there's also an active second hand market.

Then again, this is more the case for 4K. For 1080p & 1440p it's already quite cheap and this doesn't change much, since it's going to take a while for games to really start being so demanding you'd really want to upgrade away from what's a current GPU (below $500).

But if you're picky with your settings, already have a steam library, like modding, enjoy F2P games often, etc. then it's no longer so compelling. The value proposition is really there more for AAA "blockbuster" titles, and again, mostly for the first year or so.

Soldato

Its a question of is time > money or money > time?

Even by best estimates of Series X performance, I've had a PC that beats the series X for the last 16 months and by the time Series X launches I'll have had this PC for 24 months. Not only that, but my lead will only increase as I upgrade over the next 7 years

GAC

GAC

Soldato
the thing is how much are the new consoles going to cost, something which is still a BIG unknown, the analysts can all make the same claim about $450 being the sweet spot or the upper limit but for the technology in these new consoles id be surprised if under $599, and i wouldnt be surprised if it was $699. il keep saying it they will have to take a HUGE hit to keep them even at $499.

Soldato
Pricing is often a question of psychology. And £500 is a psychological breakpoint - £10 per week. I think that the new consoles are going to have a massive impact on PC GPU prices when they're released. A 2080 Ti (3070?) will likely be below £400 - likely £300 - and the 3080 Ti will likely be around £600. This gives Nvidia a very limited time to make good money by charging current-level prices. The sooner they release their new GPUs the more money they will make. If the performance is there. The longer they wait, the more people will decide to wait for the console. And in August people are already looking forward to Christmas. I'm not sure but I think that if Nvidia don't release soon - by the end of April - then that will mean that the performance isn't there and they will skip straight to Hopper next year with Ampere being purely a datacentre product.

Soldato
How I hope you are right, but cant see them at that price. They'll be £1000+

But they won't sell in such quantities. Their perceived value will be much less: "Hell, I can buy TWO consoles for that!" No. I think that GPU prices will take a huge hit, then creep slowly upwards as they leave the new consoles in the dust.

Soldato
But they won't sell in such quantities. Their perceived value will be much less: "Hell, I can buy TWO consoles for that!" No. I think that GPU prices will take a huge hit, then creep slowly upwards as they leave the new consoles in the dust.

Hope you are right price wise but, no way. Unless consoles go keyboard and mouse then gamers who like shooters aren't gonna be drawn to 'auto aim' pad versions on the console. I reckon you put a 1 in front of your estimate and you'll be closer to a 3080ti price. I see where you are coming from but I dont think the consoles will be that great. You'll need a £1500+ TV with VRR to get the best from a 4k@ 60hz console, so add that to the cost of a console setup.

Soldato
Does the storage systems on the series x and PS5 outmatch current PC performance such as NVME? I was thinking 3080 or 3080 Ti and a 1 or 2TB NVMe and I should be good to go with my current specs (in sig)

My CPU is almost certainly better than that of the next console.

I've already got 300 quid saved, was spending money for holiday (now cancelled) - every cloud eh?

Last edited:
Soldato

You might be right on this. 3000 series competitive with consoles on price. But every new generation of GPU that is ever more powerful than the never changing GPU in the consoles will increase in price.

If the 3080ti was £600 I'd buy one!

Soldato
Does the storage systems on the series x and PS5 outmatch current PC performance such as NVME? I was thinking 3080 or 3080 Ti and a 1 or 2TB NVMe and I should be good to go with my current specs (in sig)

My CPU is almost certainly better than that of the next console.

I've already got 300 quid saved, was spending money for holiday (now cancelled) - every cloud eh?

The storage system in the consoles are pcie 4.0 so make sure you get one of those assuming you have a pcie 4.0 mobo.

At the end of the day though pcie 3.0 NVME drive will still be more than plenty fast so no big issues there I presume.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You might be right on this. 3000 series competitive with consoles on price. But every new generation of GPU that is ever more powerful than the never changing GPU in the consoles will increase in price.

If the 3080ti was £600 I'd buy one!
Same here. Instead we will be lucky to get a 3080 at that price if the pound does not recover.

Maybe the US Dollar will take a tumble next.

Back
Top Bottom