****The Official Gravel Bike Gallery Thread****

Caporegime
Canyon Grail.

Those are some serious tyres! How is it on the road?

I feel like my Grail is more of a Road+ bike than full on gravel. Though I have trashed it on some proper rocky descents, including bunny hopping at every given opportunity!

Soldato
OP
Oh nice ! I had one on order, but eventually cancelled after several delays then the new Stiggy being released - it was if it was meant to be :D

How do you find the floating bars?

Yeah the 40mm tyres are awesome off road but a tad draining in the legs on the road. The trade off once you get off-road makes up for it though

I have a spare wheel set of tubeless 28mm GP5000 for road cycling which is (for me) a brilliant set up comfort and speed wise. Truly flexible bike solution

Now more pics :D

Soldato
Great looking rides gents... My main bike is currently a Gravel bike but I treat and use it as an 'everything' road bike (commuter, sportive and group rider all weathers) so that's mirrored in my setup. So not sure if it belongs on here! :D

My Diverge was kinda before the whole gravel thing...! But then again you could say it was one of the founding fathers!? ;)

Specialized Diverge 2016 Carbon Comp in Hyper Green. Wide tubeless rims (Zipp 30 Course), currently rolling Specialized Roubaix Pro 32mm 2bliss (tubeless) road tyres. Full metal guards (Specialized PnP). Switched out the mostly 105 components and the heavy Praxis Works cranks/bottom bracket. Now running a Wheelmfg bb with Shimano R8000 cranks and 4iiii Precision PWM. Ultegra 6800 RD and FD (will change to R8000 this spring). Gradually gathering parts (only have shifters so far) to switch out to DI2. Have shaved off almost 2kg from the shelf weight, so just over 10kg with guards at the moment. Could easily get things near 9kg with carbon wheels and lighter/thinner tyres.

Is not slow, but frame is a little flexy at times... But a fantastic machine, it's so good that I'm struggling to find a suitable 'summer' bike. The Diverge is just so darn good and capable that I'm going to need to spend/spec a considerable aero & lighter machine to consider it an upgrade and not a 'sidegrade'! :D

Soldato
One of mine out last night. Not really Gravel, but not really Road :D Proper CX Bike, I have 2 of these, one runs 1x GRX Manual 1x11 (38 Oval - 11/28 Cassette) and the other runs 1x GRX Di2 (40 - 11/28 Cassette), which can make climbs a bit of a grind at times.

This one is currently running Vittoria Terreno Mix 2.0 700x38 on a pair of Hunt wheels, but I have a couple of pairs of Carbon Wheels and a pair of DT Swiss that chop and change on and off depending upon what the conditions are for racing or if I'm training, along with about 8 different pairs of tyres! :S

0UvZ0sS.jpg

Soldato
OP
Very nice !!

Mate of mine had the same bike and loves it :D

Funny you should mention is being a cx - I only found out after buying the stiggy that it was originally called so due to its "cross" origins :p

Love the colouring, very nice indeed

Associate
Very new to this area of the forum but very happy to see the love for gravel bikes!
Here’s mine.
94040609_10156880622331246_1560386237389340672_o.jpg

Soldato
Some great machines in here. How are people finding gravel bikes for on road speed, compared to a regular road bike (obviously massively dependent on tyre choice, so interested in average speeds for particular tyres). Seems to be if there's one bike that can do it all, these are it.

Soldato
Slower, I usually run the Vittoria Terreno Mix 40mm for training year round and on the road i'd say it's about 20% slower on the flat, and then another 20% uphill than my equivalent road bike. some of this is probably due to pressure. Although you can bomb along rubbish roads with aplomb!

Soldato
OP
Agree, the (in my case 40mm) wider gravel tires take it out of your legs more that the roadie tyres but more that make up for it on the rougher road surface and off road stuff, especially if running a bit softer.

My gravel and road wheelset are both running tubeless as well so can drop the pressure a bit further.

Back
Top Bottom