LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
For those of you that have them, can you post up a pic or two so we can see the setup in a normal household setting (gaming den). A bonus would be to have a game on the monitor that looks ace in wide format.

Have been sitting on the fence since stocks arrived, home isolation is making me scratch that itch again.....

mine arrived today, i'll take some pics tomorrow. so far it's a keeper, almost no blb and the performance is splendid. now i have to wait for 3080ti to upgrade my 1080ti

question for others who have this screen, can you hear a slight humm from the screen? from what i know it is the fan for the gsync module, it's a very minor noise which is not audible when i have headphones on, my concern is long term use.

anyone who has used this screen for weeks on end? does it get louder with time?

Last edited:
Associate
so yesterday, as i was going to bed, i noticed a weird sound coming out of the monitor, mostly because it was very quiet at night.

i think this is the dreaded coil whine.

https://clyp.it/3sea3pea

first 6 seconds are quiet, i plug the monitor in at the 7s mark. note, that this is coming out at all times, even when the screen is off and only goes away if i completely unplug the screen from the wall outlet. the mic was directly at the top grill of the screen, but the sounds pitch and frequency is so stupid that i can hear it every time i put down my headphones and it's especially anoying when i go to bed. i'm asking myself if i'm willing to unplug the screen every night for almost 2000 euro.

is this normal? do you guys have this sound? should i return this under DSR and try a different screen? i love it otherwise.

Associate
Turn on "Deep sleep" under the monitor menu "General" to have the fan turn off after the monitor goes to sleep.

holy **** vega, thanks. after turning deep sleep on and turning the screen off, the noise stopped. seems like it is the fan after all.

i'm wondering, whether this is normal, or if should open the back and try to find a way to silence it.

Caporegime
What a stupid design. Putting fan there in the first place, then running it all the time even when off "in case it overheats"

Please don't generalise, never heard the one in mine.

I suppose if it needs one then at least make sure it's a quiet one, which seems like they have done!

Associate
i've two weeks to decide if i want to keep it or send it back.

on one hand, the sound does not bother me when using headphones and goes away when i turn the screen off plus the screen has practically no BLB, so i'm inclined to keep it. choices choices.

Soldato
This is certainly my dream monitor from what I've seen available on the market right now. Just seeing how fast the pixel response is while having almost no overshot and being an IPS is incredible. Someone know where I can donate a kidney?

Soldato
i've two weeks to decide if i want to keep it or send it back.

on one hand, the sound does not bother me when using headphones and goes away when i turn the screen off plus the screen has practically no BLB, so i'm inclined to keep it. choices choices.

How loud are we talking? Is it some whiny small 80mm fan at max power? My PC is built for room silence, meaning it outputs less noise than room ambience as I want utter silence when browsing/working on it. I have decent desk speakers and headphones but wondering if this will annoy me.

Maybe it's possible to replace it with a much more silent noctua?

Soldato
Not really a fair assessment as his sounds like it's a touch faulty. My screen has been on for 10 mins and can't hear anything from it (with a touch of background noise coming from outside).

Hmmm, is it dynamic in the sense it ramps up whilst gaming or is it a static speed?

Again, my setup is focused around absolute silence. I'm just trying to gauge if this will put me off.

Caporegime
Hmmm, is it dynamic in the sense it ramps up whilst gaming or is it a static speed?

Again, my setup is focused around absolute silence. I'm just trying to gauge if this will put me off.

Yeah I can't help you with that, my sys makes a little noise during gaming (but not too much, hate a noisy sys nowadays).

Back
Top Bottom