Spec me a new fridge freezer

Soldato
It seems the fridge section of our F/R is packing up. It is full of water but things are still cold although some are soggy wet. - The drain hole is free.
I jumped online to see how much a replacement was and Bloody hell.- Ours is a AEG Santo - must be 20+ yrs old so looked at AEG again £6-800 - forget that.

So my question is what can I get for around £300-400 or less if it is good enough

It has to be fridge on top of freeze and normal size - it is in the garage though and don't think it's designed for one.
Money money money - That's all I have paid out in last 18 months.
Thanks

Caporegime
It seems the fridge section of our F/R is packing up. It is full of water but things are still cold although some are soggy wet. - The drain hole is free.
I jumped online to see how much a replacement was and Bloody hell.- Ours is a AEG Santo - must be 20+ yrs old so looked at AEG again £6-800 - forget that.

So my question is what can I get for around £300-400 or less if it is good enough

It has to be fridge on top of freeze and normal size - it is in the garage though and don't think it's designed for one.
Money money money - That's all I have paid out in last 18 months.
Thanks

£800 is nothing for a fridge freezer IMO. Mine was double that.

At £300-£400 you will only be getting budget stuff which won't last 20+ years.

Soldato
I wish they would make the bigger fridge/freezers without the damn ice dispenser. It eats into the storage space, and it's something we'd never EVER use.

Soldato
OP
The cold water out of the door is one thing I will never use.

Had a good go at the old F/F today and cleared out the drain hole -I have a feeling that might be the cause -Also got vac out and blew all the back down to get rid of dust - Water seems to flow well now down drain hole - Turned it on and will check tomorrow- I really hope it is the problem - I can't afford top end stuff anymore and anyway 20+ years is longer than I will need.

I am now looking at a normal freezer and then a cheap fridge to go on top and turn it off Nov-March - These are our overflow fridge/freezers - Trouble is now they are full of stuff.

Caporegime
The cold water out of the door is one thing I will never use.

Had a good go at the old F/F today and cleared out the drain hole -I have a feeling that might be the cause -Also got vac out and blew all the back down to get rid of dust - Water seems to flow well now down drain hole - Turned it on and will check tomorrow- I really hope it is the problem - I can't afford top end stuff anymore and anyway 20+ years is longer than I will need.

I am now looking at a normal freezer and then a cheap fridge to go on top and turn it off Nov-March - These are our overflow fridge/freezers - Trouble is now they are full of stuff.

So stockpiling related?

You don't need more than 1 fridge freezer.

I haven't been to the shops in 2-3 weeks and got my first delivery today. No bread or milk but majority of things was fine. The reason why there is no milk, bread or bog roll is because of people like you.

Soldato
Bosch. Most Bosch Fridges & Freezers have door seals that are very easy to change, no glue of screws to undo. Just 'peel' the old Seal off & push the new Seal in. Easy to clean the seals of mould if for any reason it grows on the seals it does happen because of that feature too. Been out of the appliance sales game for 19 years now, so not all Bosch refridgeration may still have it & other makes may have the same feature now. Check before buying if that's a reason for you to buy a Bosch.

Soldato
OP
So stockpiling related?

You don't need more than 1 fridge freezer.

I haven't been to the shops in 2-3 weeks and got my first delivery today. No bread or milk but majority of things was fine. The reason why there is no milk, bread or bog roll is because of people like you.

We only have small built under fridge and freezers in kitchen and being skint (pensioners)we save any meal left overs that will make a meal for one. Mainly for me when wife trots off to her sisters.

ps - Never class anyone else by your own living standards - all are different

Soldato
bog roll is because of people like you.

You keep Bog roll in the freezer?? :p

ps - Never class anyone else by your own living standards - all are different

Quite, My nearest supermarket is 40 minutes drive away. I do my Main shopping infrequently, but in large quantities, I have several freezers too.

It is going to cost a fortune in fuel (Not to mention in time too) if some sort of rationing is introduced and i have to do more frequent smaller shops. :/

Caporegime
i'd say smaller appliances and more of them will cost you more in the long run. just ditch them all for one big version if space allows. yes some modification may be needed but it will be worth it.

Soldato
OP
You still don't get it do you !!!
We live in a small bungalow with a small kitchen - we do not have space for a American fridge freezer - the only reason we have the one in the garage is because it came with us when we moved - if we didn't have that we would have needed more F/F space so it came in handy - How long do you think our long run is - we are both in our 70's so we don't have much time - it's all very well you rambling on and on thinking everyone is your age but i think you should sit down and think things over a bit before spouting off.

Soldato
I think the ststegy of an outdoors auxiliary frezer that you open occasionaly is a good one - keeping them full reduces energy too
- purchased a 2nd hand freezer for outside on last move.

merlin purchased a hisense brand he was happy with in recent thread.

If the current one also has a fan to allow it to defrost regularly, they often have an associated replaceable electronic timer module too, that can break, ex zanussi had that,
can just manually defrost more regularly as a workaround ... like you did (pity it is not currently good defrosting weather ie frosts)

Soldato
OP
I think now I am compounding the problem by having fridge running when the temp is below 10c - I have put fridge thermometer on out side of the door and if tomorrow it's above 10c I will turn off the fridge till it warms up - Leave door open and it should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom