• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
That's a pretty poor answer. For a start a fast car on a country road?? Really are you basing that on top speed or acceleration?

Also they have already showed the benefits in the Spiderman demo ages ago.

That was HDD vs SSD. I'm talking comparative performance vs XSX's SSD.

Soldato
That was HDD vs SSD. I'm talking comparative performance vs XSX's SSD.
And it loaded in less than a second and that was nearly a year ago and I'm sure it's been even more refined.

Here's a Game dev from Gearbox talking about it.
The exceptionally powerful SSD on the PlayStation 5 offers a new level of detail for each individual object as well as seamless loading of our expansiveness world

Associate
And it loaded in less than a second and that was nearly a year ago and I'm sure it's been even more refined.

Here's a Game dev from Gearbox talking about it.

But how can an SSD physically contribute to improved levels of detail - it simply by nature cant? It doesn't process/render anything only provides fast(er) ways of retrieving things that have been processed/rendered elsewhere by either the CPU/GPU so that is an incredibly poorly worded statement.

Shawrey

Associate
After watching both DF videos on both consoles I get the feeling that Microsoft despite some unique features went for the more brute force approach. Sony seem to have done a bit more innovation, main components not as fast but their SSD/throughput tech is much more interesting from a technical perspective. How it translates into games we'll see but I see it as the PS5 having say 80-90% graphical clarity (and matching framerate) as the XBSX but the potential to load in 1-2 seconds as opposed to 5+. Throughout a whole game play through some people may see that as more of an advantage.
All indications overwhelmingly point to the PS5 being a true 9TF machine, the 10.3TF boost speed is purely for marketing. Expecting the PS5 to get within 90% of the XSX is wishful thinking. XSX will most likely be 35% faster, or if you flip it around the PS5 will likely be around 74% of XSX. The only question now is how close they will be on price. Considering that the PS4 has a huge lead over Xbox One and that this gen will have full backwards compatibility, I think Sony might just be able to get away with the power deficit as a lot of people will be too invested in the ecosystem to switch.

Soldato
Debating the Tflops rating between the two consoles is like debating between to what part of the chicken you want for dinner. As Gabe Newell said in his interview with IGN the hardware differences between the two consoles aren't important there just delivery vehicles for the software just like a PC.

Associate
Debating the Tflops rating between the two consoles is like debating between to what part of the chicken you want for dinner. As Gabe Newell said in his interview with IGN the hardware differences between the two consoles aren't important there just delivery vehicles for the software just like a PC.
This doesn't make any sense, if the hardware differences weren't important then there would be no need for them to release a new console with more Tflops.

Soldato
All indications overwhelmingly point to the PS5 being a true 9TF machine, the 10.3TF boost speed is purely for marketing. Expecting the PS5 to get within 90% of the XSX is wishful thinking. XSX will most likely be 35% faster, or if you flip it around the PS5 will likely be around 74% of XSX. The only question now is how close they will be on price. Considering that the PS4 has a huge lead over Xbox One and that this gen will have full backwards compatibility, I think Sony might just be able to get away with the power deficit as a lot of people will be too invested in the ecosystem to switch.

The indicated performance difference is around 15% - and every indication is that the PS5 can run at 10.3TF for the majority of the time. Throw in the fact that as many developers are saying, TF is an incredibly stupid way to measure performance and you've got two very capable systems.
The "headline" specifications from Xbox I'm sure will win them some customers, but once we start to see that there is very little difference between the two, people will be looking at the far more important factors - PS will once again have the better games.

Soldato
Proof is in the pudding.

Halo, Gears and Forza

Or

The Last of us, God of war, Horizon Zero Dawn and Gran Turismo.

Fully expect the xbox to take a lead in 3rd party titles and I do love Forza Horizon.

But the Sony first party studios have shown over and over again their quality.

I expect to be able to build a pc in two years with performance close enough to the XSX for reasonable money to play anything I might have missed ie Forza Horizon.

Associate
he indicated performance difference is around 15% - and every indication is that the PS5 can run at 10.3TF for the majority of the time.
In an absolute best case scenario for Sony (10.28TF vs 12.15TF), XSX would be 18.19% faster. There is absolutely no indication that the PS5 will run at 10.3TF the majority of the time with those insanely high clocks.

Soldato
But how can an SSD physically contribute to improved levels of detail - it simply by nature cant? It doesn't process/render anything only provides fast(er) ways of retrieving things that have been processed/rendered elsewhere by either the CPU/GPU so that is an incredibly poorly worded statement.

Shawrey

If you can move textures and assets around far more quickly that gives you a lot more data to be able to use in real time, rather than being constrained by how quickly data can be accessed from storage and loaded into a limited pool of memory (which is when you get issues in games with texture streaming etc).

Associate
If you can move textures and assets around far more quickly that gives you a lot more data to be able to use in real time, rather than being constrained by how quickly data can be accessed from storage and loaded into a limited pool of memory (which is when you get issues in games with texture streaming etc).

Oh no I know that, as that makes sense.

The quote, at least to me, sounds like the dev is implying that the SSD itself improves textures as "it offers a new level of detail", but that new level of details is only achieved by the CPU/GPU and how quickly the software and hardware can put it all together (from the SSD & RAM) on screen.

Perhaps I am just being pedantic and taking the statement too literally :p

Shawrey

Associate
Yeah pop in will still be a thing. You'll see a lot more of gradual pop in as objects get closer, where lower resolution textures are replaced by better ones. I imagine the new tech will also allow this to be more gradual, with more than just one step up in visual fidelity as they get bigger on the screen.

Soldato
So does this mean we’re going to see a lot less “pop-in” textures and stuff ?

Most likely will depend on how each developer uses that feature. Let's not forget that most will take into consideration the weakest link of the chain - xbox series x and current gen pc. Moreover, to render a huge draw distance, you'll also need a good api (which should not be a problem in the console world), but also the cpu and gpu power to bread life into it and render.

I guess the biggest "plus" will be the loading times.

Caporegime
I don't know the specifics of the hardware in the new consoles but I'm guessing the CPU > Memory bandwidth will be better than any modern PC and since the memory is a shared pool between CPU and GPU you don't need to shift as much data around. In a PC any time you have data in system memory that needs to be worked on by the GPU it needs to be sent over to GPU memory via the PCI-E bus, it's the same story if you have something in GPU memory that needs to be worked on by the CPU. I don't think it's as simple as just comparing bandwidth and flops between GPU's and clock speeds of the CPU's.

Soldato
I will quote Andrea Pessino
Dollar bet: within a year from its launch gamers will fully appreciate that the PlayStation 5 is one of the most revolutionary, inspired home consoles ever designed, and will feel silly for having spent energy arguing about "teraflops" and other similarly misunderstood specs.
https://twitter.com/AndreaPessino/status/1240708756041691136

Shawrey

Because currently we expect the CPU/GPU do the whole job and the developers make games for HDD and lemon systems. Don't forget PC just moved from dual core specs just in 2019! Still all can run on HDDs so all games are coded in certain way.

What PS5 does is use the NVME speed, to push already constructed objects to the RAM and the GPU/CPU will just add the "cherries on the top".
(just to make it more simple)

That is why PS5 is revolutionary in this aspect and wrote is "proper console" pushing boundaries.

No developer is expected to force it's customer use M.2 nvme on PC to make a better optimized game. Straight that way lost 90% of it's customer base.
That is not the case for the PS5.

Same applies on the PC performance. We still use archaic DX11 & DX12 with a lot of overheads and whole Windows (7/8/10) on top. Those things do not exist in the PS5, which is having a tiny stream lined OS and all games will be coded to that specific hardware.

Which is why wrote MS went the other way creating a "cheap PC". Because it will use the Xbox platform to push it's store on PC with games available on both Console & PC without changing (aka porting). We already see it with games that run with the native XBX client these days. No further job needed. Same will happen with the new XBX, as there won't require any job to be "ported" since all will be using the unified DX12.1/DXR1.1 API.

Ofc that means needs a far more powerful system than what SONY does to do the same job.

We need to look at the bigger picture here.

Last edited:
Associate
Xbox has learnt their lesson and going to win the next console war 12 teraflops in the Xbox that's more than a rtx 2080 and a 1 terabyte ssd for 500 quid.

Back
Top Bottom