• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
So does this mean we’re going to see a lot less “pop-in” textures and stuff ?

I think that's definitely possible. Even today, in the unoptimised for SSD, games can run with very minimal pop-in if the devs allow you the option to push more power into it, on PC. I was just testing this a few days ago in Kingdom Come Deliverance. On consoles it's a pop-in fest, but on PC if you tweak it, because you can, you can get pop-in to be almost imperceptible and you can have LOD0s to be loaded from even further away than you can see them. And this is not on spaceship PCs, this is on a measly 6c/12t i7 from way back, with mediocre 3000 mhz DDR4 and a cacheless SSD barely hitting 500 MB/s.

Considering consoles are gonna have storage & IO many times faster than that, I'd say there's nothing stopping them except their own choices. I honestly think pop-in and the like are going to be non-issues going forward, though I'd still allow a chance for dumb arse studios like from Ubisoft to mess it up anyway, as they have before. But hardware-wise they're set to get rid of it.

Associate
90521305_10163035410535517_1638416017812094976_o.jpg

(I'm not buying either, btw)

Soldato
Yup. They forget that things like the RX570 is 6Tflop GPU has lesser real time performance to GTX1060 which is 4.5Tflop.
And here we have exactly the same thing. Different APIs, different hardware yet feeling we talking to brick walls.

The GPU architecture is essentially the same, so the TF comparisons are still more than valid when talking about pure horsepower.

Caporegime
I think both consoles are going to be so fast due to addition of the Ryzen CPU that there will be very little difference to the eye, Xbox will probably only take a lead when things become GPU limited.

Soldato
But how can an SSD physically contribute to improved levels of detail - it simply by nature cant? It doesn't process/render anything only provides fast(er) ways of retrieving things that have been processed/rendered elsewhere by either the CPU/GPU so that is an incredibly poorly worded statement.

Shawrey
Who knows and I'm not really talking about FPS.
You can certainly feel how big this is by the reaction of a load of Devs.

They have started comming out and saying this is game changing. Also Cenry!! He knows what he talking about.

I will prob have both consoles at some stage but Microsoft has to get all thoses game developers they bought to work and fast.

Last edited:
Soldato
I will prob have both consoles at some stage but Microsoft has to get all thoses game developers they bought to work and fast.

That's what it all comes down too, games sell consoles not hardware.

Your initial uptake may have those excited about specs but when its all said and done these things serve one important purpose, they enable us to play the latest and greatest games.

If you have very little in the way of games to get excited about then most people wont folk out £500 just because your hardware is impressive.

Associate
Correct me if I'm wrong, but listening to Cerny talk about the new Tempest 3d audio engine, is he saying that it can also be used for non audio tasks? leveraging it's compute power elsewhere? if so I can see Sony's first party studio's getting very creative with it (given that it's power equities to all 8 jaguar cores on the PS4) it may give that extra little bit of juice needed

Soldato
Well the actual comments from game devs has certainly been encouraging after the initial doom and gloom. I got caught up in the Bs terraflops hype and then looked at my Switch and remembered what actually mattered.
Xbox doesn't have a lot of the niche games I play like Disgaea and a few other jap things.

My #1 concern is noise.

Associate
If Sony continues to offer quality exclusives like nioh 2, Bloodborne and days gone then I will be sticking with playstation. Im not a fan boy (I owned Xbox original and 360) but at this point have a sizeable PS4 and psvr collection plus all my friends are on PSN. MS need some praise for raising the hardware stakes and for gamepass. But ignoring Vr is a big mistake for me, it's the most exciting gaming advancement for years. I'm surprised they can't do a deal with oculus to get it compatible with Xbox or even just get windows Mr headset compatability.

Back
Top Bottom