• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
That demo will be much more demanding than any ray tracing games to come out. Like pointed out above the Star wars demo was also very low FPS.

The AMD demo is way overblown the Ray tracing to try and showcase the effects in turn performance tanks.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
That demo will be much more demanding than any ray tracing games to come out. Like pointed out above the Star wars demo was also very low FPS.

The AMD demo is way overblown the Ray tracing to try and showcase the effects in turn performance tanks.

im sure from a technical standpoint when you look at the numbers its impressive, but amd's pr department yet again have dropped the ball by releasing a demo that looks horrid. yes the starwars one was running at 24fps or whatever but it looked good, this on the other hand looks like some sort of cgi thing knocked up a 20 years ago in the old demo scene for home brew cgi.

Soldato
Hey fellas, remember me?

BoxB.jpg

Now you do. :D

Caporegime
OP
The video processed at 24fps and uploaded at 60fps. Is not different than the RTX Star Wars demo which was at 24fps also. But wasn't published at 60fps......
Or dementia came early ;)
Calm down, I was asking a genuine question, as it is seriously stuttery and far from smooth. If I was doing a showcase, I would want it as smooth as possible and not a stuttery mess.

Soldato
Calm down, I was asking a genuine question, as it is seriously stuttery and far from smooth. If I was doing a showcase, I would want it as smooth as possible and not a stuttery mess.

The problem with the video is 24fps rendered while processed to be uploaded on YT at 60fps.
If it was uploaded on YT at 24fps it would be smooth :)

In addition the quality is low because YT (with Amazon, Netflix the whole lot) are throttling video across whole Europe these days. Even if we set 1080p or 4K it goes down to 720 or 480p (Netflix).

Caporegime
yes they are but thats not why it looks bad.
Indeed, it just shows some boring reflections rather than actually demonstrating what RT can really do to games.

As it stands, Quake2 RT is still by far the best demonstration of what is in store for RT gaming - as long as you are intelligent enough to look past the textures and models which don;t impact RT performance at all.

Caporegime
OP
The problem with the video is 24fps rendered while processed to be uploaded on YT at 60fps.
If it was uploaded on YT at 24fps it would be smooth :)

In addition the quality is low because YT (with Amazon, Netflix the whole lot) are throttling video across whole Europe these days. Even if we set 1080p or 4K it goes down to 720 or 480p (Netflix).
Fair shout and fair answer. I am glad AMD are embracing RT though and it is all good for all of us in the future. The more it is used, the better the devs and the tech will be.

Associate
From what I have seen and heard so far from Sony/Microsoft, AMD's raytracing will give Nvidia's current RTX implementation a run for its money.

I think the current RTX cards will be blown away by RDNA2 and Ampere in terms of raytracing performance.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
From what I have seen and heard so far from Sony/Microsoft, AMD's raytracing will give Nvidia's current RTX implementation a run for its money.

I think the current RTX cards will be blown away by RDNA2 and Ampere in terms of raytracing performance.
Possibly. But I reckon Nvidia's 3000 series will blow RNDA2 RT away.

In the end it is just good to see AMD bringing RT.

Soldato
Possibly. But I reckon Nvidia's 3000 series will blow RNDA2 RT away.

In the end it is just good to see AMD bringing RT.

Don't forget that with Nvidia you won't be able to use Smart Shift which Xbox, PS5 & upcoming AMD desktop products support and is the base for using the CPU to do part of the RT job also and boost graphic performance. We see it already on laptops where the tiny APU can get 10% perf for free on games.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Don't forget that with Nvidia you won't be able to use Smart Shift which Xbox, PS5 & upcoming AMD desktop products support and is the base for using the CPU to do part of the RT job also and boost graphic performance. We see it already on laptops where the tiny APU can get 10% perf for free on games.

smart shift been confirmed by amd for desktop then ?? thought that was one of the "possible" techs we "may" get at some point.

il say one thing though, rdna2 is amd's gen 1 ray tracing, ampere will be 2nd gen rtx, id expect a near doubling of performance on rt cores maybe even more if they shrink the node also.

Soldato
smart shift been confirmed by amd for desktop then ?? thought that was one of the "possible" techs we "may" get at some point.

il say one thing though, rdna2 is amd's gen 1 ray tracing, ampere will be 2nd gen rtx, id expect a near doubling of performance on rt cores maybe even more if they shrink the node also.

Smart Shift is still under development but is the "hybrid" method AMD is using to do RT and we discussing for long time since AMD filled for the patent.
As for new Nvidia cards we know nothing about. All those rumours cannot even agree on anything even the process those chips will be made or the type of ram they will have. In addition none says how many RT cores the new GPUs have, to get an indication of where things are.

And my guess is with Nvidia retracting completely from the GDC, without sharing information of whats coming something the rest did, even on videos, doesn't seem right if had something interesting in technical level. Those NV videos about DXR1.1 support look like afterthought.

So regardless what gen AMD RT is on, we know nothing of the Nvidia one. Sure might be faster than the Turing gen but how much and at what cost.
Given that the only worthy RT performer is the >£1000 RTX2080ti.

Soldato

I'm sorry what lol. Smart shift is for power limited applications. We don't have that issue on PC we just run everything at max power.

mans to correct you the Xbox doesn't use smart shift, it too, just runs everything at max power 24/7. Only the ps5 and laptops use it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom