• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
If Sony continues to offer quality exclusives like nioh 2, Bloodborne and days gone then I will be sticking with playstation. Im not a fan boy (I owned Xbox original and 360) but at this point have a sizeable PS4 and psvr collection plus all my friends are on PSN. MS need some praise for raising the hardware stakes and for gamepass. But ignoring Vr is a big mistake for me, it's the most exciting gaming advancement for years. I'm surprised they can't do a deal with oculus to get it compatible with Xbox or even just get windows Mr headset compatability.

Since you have PSVR, like myself, share also with the rest here; how's is the sound with those dirty cheap headphones PSVR uses, while powered by a much less powerful sound chip than the one used on Tempest 3D? :)

Soldato
In an absolute best case scenario for Sony (10.28TF vs 12.15TF), XSX would be 18.19% faster. There is absolutely no indication that the PS5 will run at 10.3TF the majority of the time with those insanely high clocks.

The PS5 has a "set power budget" that's tied to the thermal limits of the system. As Cerny has said, plus developers there is good indication that the PS5 can happily run for a long time at 10.3. As I said, around 15% (you've quoted the maximum theoretical at 18.1%). Then add in the faster SSD and the way the PS5 has been structured and you have two devices extremely similar which are going to offer extremely similar performance.
Once again it will be about the games - so it'll be a PS5 pre-ordered by me.

Soldato
I wonder if the PS5 can handle a slower drive in the expansion slot if the really fast NVME is so crucial to the design?

A 1TB NVME with equivalent specs is going to be expensive. Very expensive. If it can handle a slower drive, how is that going to work? Is space on the built-in drive reserved for system use, so "live" game files can be transfered to the system drive? Or is the speed less crucial than they're suggesting?

Also, is 825GB the total size of the drive? Or the user-accessible portion? If it's the former, how much will users actually have access to? And how many next-gen games is that expected to store?

I'll admit, the storage on the PS5 has me a little concerned. It sounds really impressive. But if it's only enough for four or five games, and a compatible 1TB NVME is going to cost a few hundred quid, then that's a little concerning.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wonder if the PS5 can handle a slower drive in the expansion slot if the really fast NVME is so crucial to the design?

If it can't, then expanding the storage is going to be very expensive. If a slower drive is acceptable, then how is that going to work in practice? Will a chunk of the built-in SSD be reserved for system use (basically being used as RAM)? Or is the high speed less crucial to the design than people are being led to believe?

For PS4 games, external USB HDD would be the solution, as he said, not waste the internal storage on things that not need the speed.
For PS5 games drive speed would be crucial because the storage will be used like EPROM was used. (to simplify the idea).And PS5 games would be completely different written than even the PC games we have.

We would see PS5 exclusives that if brought to PC their specs will keep 98% of the PC owners unable to play them. A visit on Steam hardware survey will explain why.

Caporegime
The expansion drive has to sustain at least the same as the internal memory - 5.5GB/sec PCIe 4.0 - which is why Sony are vetting them and there will be an official compatible list, I guess.

The 825GB is the raw capacity but I don't think a lot will disappear as it does these days. They've rewritten all the I/O stack, maybe they have a new filesystem, too? I'm guessing around 800GB will be available.

Caporegime
Them GPU clocks LOOOOL! They ******* got scared when they saw the XSX specs and tried to up the clocks to compensate. There is no way they will hit them clocks for any decent amount of time. Its going to be a furnace.
This is concerning.

I was set on a PS5 but if it's hot (and noisy) then I'll reconsider.

Caporegime
I'm lucky in that noise doesn't bother me. I sit next to a tower fan which is running most of the time, even in winter because my gaming room gets so hot.

Anyhow, it seems the developers out there reckon there are lots of things on the PS5 that can alleviate some of that perceived gap in performance. I'll guarantee something - Digital Foundry will never be so popular come the end of the year.

Soldato
The PS5 has a "set power budget" that's tied to the thermal limits of the system. As Cerny has said, plus developers there is good indication that the PS5 can happily run for a long time at 10.3. As I said, around 15% (you've quoted the maximum theoretical at 18.1%). Then add in the faster SSD and the way the PS5 has been structured and you have two devices extremely similar which are going to offer extremely similar performance.
Exactly this.

Soldato
I'm lucky in that noise doesn't bother me. I sit next to a tower fan which is running most of the time, even in winter because my gaming room gets so hot.

Anyhow, it seems the developers out there reckon there are lots of things on the PS5 that can alleviate some of that perceived gap in performance. I'll guarantee something - Digital Foundry will never be so popular come the end of the year.
And rightly so, always fantastic content from the DF guys.

Associate
Personally on consoles I have always played one game until I've finished it and move on the next one.
I am a monogamer. 800GB of drive space is more than enough for me.

Load times are a bugbear of mine and the prospect of the new drive tech is very happy to me.

Soldato
What Sony should really clarify even more than boost clocks is VRS & DirectML(like) support. I have a hard time believing they don't have support but if they don't then that would leave a huge chasm in performance vs XSX. We're talking 50% or more.

Soldato
I had a happy era of my life with Playstation 1, 2 and 3 and I never had any idea what Hertz they had and at that stage had never even heard of flops.
And in fact when I got a PS4 Pro I didn't know its Hertz or flops.

Same tbh I’m not bothered about the specs it’s a considerable upgrade to the previous console. Seeing the games is what I’m waiting for. The actual games not the usual pre release stuff they say is the real game only to be completely different when it’s released.

Games, Noise and Controller is what I’m interested in.

Caporegime
Games, Noise and Controller is what I’m interested in.
Yup, and tbh those things are all equally important.

I got rid of my 360 after a year or so because the noise was literally unbearable.

I also hope the PS5 controller is an improvement - I get "claw hands" form the PS4 controller and it hurts a lot.

Soldato
The only way they're going to alleviate some negativity from the "deep dive" is to do a proper reveal and show how the PS5's architecture will benefit the actual gaming experience. Once people see and understand it from a perspective they're familiar with, everything should calm down.

All this hullabaloo could have been avoided with some proper communication and a bit of self-awareness from Sony.

Associate
A variable 35%-18.2% performance deficit is not going to offer extremely similar performance, that is wishful thinking. The difference will be similar to the original PS4 and Xbox One, except this time the roles are reversed. I disagree that it is all about the games, it will definitely be enough to sway some people, but the vast majority spend most of their time playing cross platform multiplayer games.

Soldato
I will quote Andrea Pessino

Because currently we expect the CPU/GPU do the whole job and the developers make games for HDD and lemon systems. Don't forget PC just moved from dual core specs just in 2019! Still all can run on HDDs so all games are coded in certain way.

What PS5 does is use the NVME speed, to push already constructed objects to the RAM and the GPU/CPU will just add the "cherries on the top".
(just to make it more simple)

You still need to render that scene with the effects an you'll still get 1080p@30fps (or lower), if you want proper RT games, no mater how fast that storage is.

I think both consoles are going to be so fast due to addition of the Ryzen CPU that there will be very little difference to the eye, Xbox will probably only take a lead when things become GPU limited.

at 4k (60) or lower res RT, they will be almost all the time.

We would see PS5 exclusives that if brought to PC their specs will keep 98% of the PC owners unable to play them. A visit on Steam hardware survey will explain why.

With a decent SSD, API, CPU and RAM, will ran it unless the devs want to pull another Crysis 2 tessellation scenario, but this time with " a storage spin".

Guys, don't go that much on the hype train. Even if you have the storage speed to render at high distance (which, depending on the game, is not necessarily a problem even on fast HDD), you also need a GPU capable of rendering all that stuff. Is not something that has zero or no cost. Extra drawing distance in GTA 5 and other games (which doesn't add that much), kills performance not due to storage, but due to API, CPU and GPU (maybe RAM).

A lot of games were design in a certain way to cater for the weaker consoles (and PC low end hardware as a result), not because it was IMPOSSIBLE to do it due to storage speed (that's just marketing talk). Or simply the lack of skill or resources from the devs. Quick example: ArmA 3 is terrible when it comes to large maps, while other games have them and run with no issues whatsoever.

Soldato
Soldato
A lot of games were design in a certain way to cater for the weaker consoles (and PC low end hardware as a result), not because it was IMPOSSIBLE to do it due to storage speed (that's just marketing talk). Or simply the lack of skill or resources from the devs. Quick example: ArmA 3 is terrible when it comes to large maps, while other games have them and run with no issues whatsoever.

Look at Steam hardware survey, you will find that over 60% of the users have systems in par or slower than the current XBoneX and PS4Pro.
So I do not believe we can talk in 2020 for weaker consoles. Let alone the upcoming behemoths which class 98% of the PCs out there. Including all those having 2080 or bellow GPUs.

Back
Top Bottom