• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I disagree that it is all about the games, it will definitely be enough to sway some people, but the vast majority spend most of their time playing cross platform multiplayer games.
The vast majority of people do play cross platform multiplayer indeed, but the XSX is going to be significantly higher priced than the PS5, and with the million miles better exclusives that the sony machine carries I disagree with you. More people, just like this generation, will go for Sony.

Even if Halo Infinite turns out to be a killer AAA title I wouldn't buy a XSX to play it, I'd pick up a dirt cheap One X to do so, I won't be the only one.

With the very poor efforts of exclusive titles from Microsoft this gen, too many people including myself invested heavily into Sony and PSN, there's no way they/I'm going back now.

Soldato
A variable 35%-18.2% performance deficit is not going to offer extremely similar performance, that is wishful thinking. The difference will be similar to the original PS4 and Xbox One, except this time the roles are reversed. I disagree that it is all about the games, it will definitely be enough to sway some people, but the vast majority spend most of their time playing cross platform multiplayer games.

so pc ftw when it comes to Multiplatform as usual

Associate
Yet you're not disagreeing with me.
You claimed that the Xbox would be significantly higher priced than PS5 as if it were a fact. Pointing out a factual inaccuracy would indeed be in disagreement with your post. If you want my opinion on the likely pricing, I think the Xbox will probably be slightly but not significantly more expensive at launch, but it is quite possible they will be the same price.

Soldato
I don't think the price of the two consoles will be that different. MS can afford to take a greater financial loss and it's in their best interests to get as close to the PS5 price as they can.

Tbh I don't really feel like Sony are doing a great job with their marketing so far. I understand the deep dive was something that should have taken place at GDC and was therefore mostly aimed at developers, but they must have been aware that quite a lot of Playstation fans would be watching and I think they could have made an effort to have something that would appeal to your average gamer, even if it was only a 30 second teaser of the console design or something like that. MS have released full specs, shown the finalised console and controller design, let some select individuals get actual hands-on time with the console, plus they've given us some good info on the new features they're implementing. Obviously price and launch lineup will factor into my buying decision but so far I'm leaning towards the XSX.

Soldato
You claimed that the Xbox would be significantly higher priced than PS5 as if it were a fact. Pointing out a factual inaccuracy would indeed be in disagreement with your post. If you want my opinion on the likely pricing, I think the Xbox will probably be slightly but not significantly more expensive at launch, but it is quite possible they will be the same price.

XBX will be more expensive no doubt. Those 56CUs aren't cheap and can see why SONY opted for 36CUs.
This is an APU we talking about. The bigger it is, the higher the failure rate of them the higher the cost to manufacture and end product.

And because the X series is going to be expensive, MS is preparing a new ~4TFlop console to sell cheaply possibly using the failed APUs.

Last edited:
Soldato
My gut says around £100 difference.

My cynical side says £150.

My optimistic side says £0.

My wildly optimistic side says PS5 £50 cheaper.

Which one of my sides is right I wonder, if any. :p

Soldato
Look at Steam hardware survey, you will find that over 60% of the users have systems in par or slower than the current XBoneX and PS4Pro.
So I do not believe we can talk in 2020 for weaker consoles. Let alone the upcoming behemoths which class 98% of the PCs out there. Including all those having 2080 or bellow GPUs.

All games were designed to run on the weaker original consoles: [email protected] with 1.31TF of power (the weakest CPU from PS4 and weakest GPU from the xbox). Xbox X and PS4Pro were 4k wannabe hw, not 1080p@30fps, new consoles, with games specially designed for them.

Moreover, on the Xbox Series X, Microsoft plans for the next 2 years to have all their games run on that 1.75GHz, extremely weak CPU, and 1.31TF GPU, making that behemoth stuck within the same limitations as now. Sure, you'll get higher fps and higher resolutions (stuff which you can do now also anyway with a decent PC), but the gameplay is still the same.

Even older Sandy Bridge or FXs CPU would be stronger/faster, while that gtx 1660 5tf card would destroy everything that's in the original consoles.

So yeah, if these 2 new (behemoth) consoles would have been 1080p@30fps targeted, that would have meant a big jump in terms of visuals ( they may be still 1080p cards when it comes to RT, although in this case the visual jump may not be as impressie)- and perhaps even gameplay. But right now they're just joining the 4k (60fps) game for a while -> 2-4 years down the line and stuff like dynamic resolution, under 30fps drops and so on, would be the norm.

The thing I'm most exited about is the CPU and a bit about the SSD (but not for the over hyped reason Sony is making it to be) -> at least we'll get higher quality assets all around, physics and hopefully AI.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Please do enlighten me where I stated it as fact so my apparent 'factual inaccuracy' can be challenged accordingly. Good luck with that one.

No I actually didn't ask for your opinion but for what it's worth the One X was 20% ish more expensive than the PS4 Pro.

So taking that into account where on god's earth do you think that the XSX will be 'slightly but not significantly more expensive at launch, but it is quite possible they will be the same price' from.

Say what?

Associate
Please do enlighten me where I stated it as fact so my apparent 'factual inaccuracy' can be challenged accordingly. Good luck with that one.

No I actually didn't ask for your opinion but for what it's worth the One X was 20% ish more expensive than the PS4 Pro.

So taking that into account where on god's earth do you think that the XSX will be 'slightly but not significantly more expensive at launch, but it is quite possible they will be the same price' from.

Say what?
You claimed that the Xbox Series X would be significantly higher priced than the PS5, that statement is obviously incorrect because we don't know the prices of either console yet. I'm not sure how this confused you. Your exact words were "the XSX is going to be significantly higher priced than the PS5", you didn't say you think it is going to be. Thus you stated it as a fact.

There is generally no significant price difference between the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, in fact the Xbox One X is currently cheaper as it is on offer.

Last edited:
Soldato
XBX will be more expensive no doubt. Those 56CUs aren't cheap and can see why SONY opted for 36CUs.
This is an APU we talking about. The bigger it is, the higher the failure rate of them the higher the cost to manufacture and end product.

And because the X series is going to be expensive, MS is preparing a new ~4TFlop console to sell cheaply possibly using the failed APUs.

But equally, that really fast NVME is going to be expensive. The XSX drive is around the same speed as this. The PS5's drive is faster than this. So there's an added cost there. And there's also an added cost in some of the other unique selling points of the PS5.

A page or two ago, the difference in speed wasn't significant, but the faster SSD, the sound chip, and other PS5 USPs were. While on this page, the difference in speed is significant (in that it increases cost) and the PS5's unique features aren't even mentioned. You sure you aren't making an argument of convenience here?

Caporegime
I wonder what the BOM is on these NVMe SSDs. Microsoft might take less of a profit. There could also be potential to strip away some of the circuitry that is not needed. For example, you don't need another controller on the board when the card will use the Velocity Engine on the Xbox mainboard.

Soldato
But equally, that really fast NVME is going to be expensive. The XSX drive is around the same speed as this. The PS5's drive is faster than this. So there's an added cost there. And there's also an added cost in some of the other unique selling points of the PS5.

A page or two ago, the difference in speed wasn't significant, but the faster SSD, the sound chip, and other PS5 USPs were. While on this page, the difference in speed is significant (in that it increases cost) and the PS5's unique features aren't even mentioned. You sure you aren't making an argument of convenience here?

You forgot Samsung 980 EVO & 980 PRO (6.5GB/s) which are coming later this year, in addition to a dozen other proper pcie 4.0 M.2s that would flood the market by the time PS5 is out.

Soldato
Personally on consoles I have always played one game until I've finished it and move on the next one.
I am a monogamer. 800GB of drive space is more than enough for me.

Load times are a bugbear of mine and the prospect of the new drive tech is very happy to me.
That's the way I roll, otherwise I struggle to remember the plot:D. My gut feeling (and hope) is that the ps5 will be £400 and Xbox £500. I love my PS4 and pro, but I'll feel a bit short changed it it's the same price as a more powerful console.

Last edited:
Associate
With the price of pc parts I've started contemplating making the jump to console , is there likely to be further support for mouse and keyboard for certain games ? 1440p I seem to remember was supported on Xbox is this likely to be the case again ?

Caporegime
With the price of pc parts I've started contemplating making the jump to console , is there likely to be further support for mouse and keyboard for certain games ? 1440p I seem to remember was supported on Xbox is this likely to be the case again ?

Certainly on the Xbox side but PS5 unlikely. Pretty much as it is now.

Back
Top Bottom