Spec me a man bench!

Soldato
I went for full overkill, but then I wanted to be able to do metal fabrication, welding and gearbox builds etc on it.

Welded up a frame from 50x50 steel box then put a 10mm steel worktop on it. It's absolutely bomb proof, it's heavy enough that it won't move when smacking stuff with the big hammers.

2.jpg

Have moved house since making it and I could do with some more bench space so I'm looking at making a couple more in the same style with a slightly less heavy duty worktop.

Soldato
That looks ideal, what was the cost of materials?
£78 for all the timbers including a load of spares which, together with the offcuts, will be used to make additions, a few end shelves, a drawer or two, and so on...
Couple of quid for a big box of wood screws and the four coach bolts that hold it all in place (yes, it's a takedown). Vice was £35 off the 'Bay.

The best part of this design is the aprons on either side, which keep it solid by preventing the legs from racking and give you a massive, solid platform to which you can fit pretty much anything - Shelves, tool holders, extensions, or whatever. Drill out a load of dog holes for work holding, or something.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Euro pallets make a great bench pop off the tops, cut in half put back the tops without a gap and whatever you want as legs.

Soldato
Interesting idea that.

For those with sliding mitre saws. How do you cope? My workbench is 60cm deep but i've found that i can't slide it all the way back. It's very annoying. Think i'm going to have to build a little shelf to extend the depth!

I picked up a portable stand from Lidl which is a godsend when using the mitre saw.

2019-12-31-18-12-56.jpg

Soldato
I picked up a heavy duty kitchen table for next to nothing second hand and just added a bit more support to make it rock solid.

I wanted mine to be moveable though not bolted to the wall.

Associate
zSKt83p

I went for full overkill, but then I wanted to be able to do metal fabrication, welding and gearbox builds etc on it.

Welded up a frame from 50x50 steel box then put a 10mm steel worktop on it. It's absolutely bomb proof, it's heavy enough that it won't move when smacking stuff with the big hammers.

Have moved house since making it and I could do with some more bench space so I'm looking at making a couple more in the same style with a slightly less heavy duty worktop.

I welded mine too, mainly because I wanted to learn to weld. Used a kitchen work top though.

workbench.png

Soldato
It’s just construction timber.

If you go to any b&q/wicked they’ll have loads of it.

Usually costs about £3/length of 2.4m.

that’s exactly what I did - bonded two lengths to make the legs etc. It’s little soft and may warp as it ages but cheap.

Back
Top Bottom