• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Soldato
Hello, I am new here and I need some help. I own a Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse, and for some reason its performance is very poor. In games it stays idle (20-30% usage) while I don' t even get stable 60 fps. Moreover it fails the sphere test in UserBenchmark. I tried to clean install drivers multiple times (latest and older versions) but I had no luck. I tried contacting AMD support too, but they don't seem really helpful. My PC specs are the following:
  • CPU : Intel core i7 8700k
  • Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix Z390f
  • Ram: G.skill 16GB 3200mhz (dual channel)
  • GPU: Vega 56 Pulse
  • PSU: Corsair RM850X
  • SSD: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe
  • My monitor is nothing special, just a 1080p Philips monitor
Any help is appreciated.

What was your old card? Have you tried using DDU to remove the old card's driver? (Boot your PC into Safe Mode and run it from there.)
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Soldato
Hmm. Worth checking your pcie power cables are properly and fully inserted...

...and the card's vbios switch is in the correct position (towards the plate with the video output ports)...

...and you're using a sensible profile in the driver settings. (Right-click desktop, click "AMD Radeon Settings", "Gaming" tab, "Global Gaming", "Global Wattman"). The "Balanced" profile will do. You might need to press "apply" afterwards (top right corner of the window).

Edit: if all that checks out ok then I'd lean more towards the problem lying somewhere other than your video card. Motherboard chipset drivers maybe?

Can you run a benchmark that tests the GPU and CPU and post a link to the results?

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm. Worth checking your pcie power cables are properly and fully inserted...

...and the card's vbios switch is in the correct position (towards the plate with the video output ports)...

...and you're using a sensible profile in the driver settings. (Right-click desktop, click "AMD Radeon Settings", "Gaming" tab, "Global Gaming", "Global Wattman"). The "Balanced" profile will do. You might need to press "apply" afterwards (top right corner of the window).

Edit: if all that checks out ok then I'd lean more towards the problem lying somewhere other than your video card. Motherboard chipset drivers maybe?

Can you run a benchmark that tests the GPU and CPU and post a link to the results?
I checked my power cable and it is inserted fine. I also tried changing the power cable, as well as using 2 pcie power cables instead of 1 with 2 connectors. Moreover I thought the bios switch position towards the port plate was the "quiet/energy saving" mode. Although I tried switching it and it didn't help. Finally I was using the Balanced profile anyway. What benchmark should I run?

Soldato
Benchmarks like 3d mark and Unigine heaven should be fine, both push my V56 within 10mhz of what I've set in Wattman.

Have you checked what your clocks are set at in Wattman? Using any other overclocking software that could be conflicting?

Soldato
I checked my power cable and it is inserted fine. I also tried changing the power cable, as well as using 2 pcie power cables instead of 1 with 2 connectors. Moreover I thought the bios switch position towards the port plate was the "quiet/energy saving" mode. Although I tried switching it and it didn't help. Finally I was using the Balanced profile anyway. What benchmark should I run?

Apologies, I might have got the vbios switch position wrong. I've not had my card very long and looked it up online. It seems I may have found some duff info. I'll look at my card later and edit my post if necessary.

As for benchmarks, preferably something that gives a GPU and CPU score so we can compare both aspects of your system to other similar systems. 3dmark Timespy or Fire Strike spring to mind.

Associate
Apologies, I might have got the vbios switch position wrong. I've not had my card very long and looked it up online. It seems I may have found some duff info. I'll look at my card later and edit my post if necessary.

As for benchmarks, preferably something that gives a GPU and CPU score so we can compare both aspects of your system to other similar systems. 3dmark Timespy or Fire Strike spring to mind.
I used unigine heaven. The results in both extreme and basic preset are in this google drive folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17phfr2s9xZguBdneXU5dcBwZD6zCQTDc?usp=sharing

When running you games what is cpu usage? Check using the Radeon in game overlay ctrl+shift+O. High usage will limit gpu.
I checked cpu usage in games and while benchmark, and it doesn't exceed 25%. The GPU usage though in benchmark is high (like 95%) and the fps are good, but in games the gpu usage is low (like 20%).

Which games does this happen in? It could be the game and not the card.
It happens in several games, like Paladins, No man's sky, Call of duty Warzone and others.

Soldato
Dl the latest tomb raider demo and run the benchmark then post a screenie of the results and in gpuz run the benchmark on that and show the sensors page after a min or so with a screenie of it.

Soldato
I used unigine heaven. The results in both extreme and basic preset are in this google drive folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17phfr2s9xZguBdneXU5dcBwZD6zCQTDc?usp=sharing

I checked cpu usage in games and while benchmark, and it doesn't exceed 25%. The GPU usage though in benchmark is high (like 95%) and the fps are good, but in games the gpu usage is low (like 20%).

It happens in several games, like Paladins, No man's sky, Call of duty Warzone and others.

Your Heaven score looks about right. Heaven doesn't push the CPU much at all but it does push the GPU. Therefore, whatever's holding you back, it isn't the GPU.

Try a combined GPU/CPU benchmark like I suggested earlier.

Associate
IS there a chance you're running a ton of other stuff in the background? That might see the CPU suffer in framerates.

I haven't got experience in the games you posted but I would google if others have any issues with them. It could be some of them have bugs or a GPU/CPU killer like supersampling

Associate
Back
Top Bottom