• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Associate
Sooooo how good does Sony's SSD sound? Seems like DF and other Tech reviewers are ******* then self's at it as well as the tempest sound.

Since people are throwing percentages abouts it's more than 50% faster and smashes what the new Xbox has.

Is this a game changer? Better designed world's more immersion? Fluid gaming?

No you are talking peak sequential read speeds 5GB/s, when a game is loaded, it will be streaming in much smaller content and random read speeds will be more important which will be very similar between both.

Like when you leap a generation of SSD on your PC, you will notice the peak sequential read speeds when transferring big files, but you don't notice how fast Photoshop or Windows loads quicker.

Soldato
It was widely known PS4 was more powerful at the time regarding teraflops, that is why it swept up.
Is it? It was an element for some people I'm sure. But for most of the people I know, they simply weren't onboard with what MS was selling, i.e multimedia with Skype and Kinect integration etc etc. This was front and centre in their marketing - XBOX was to be the focal point of a full-on multimedia system. Sony on the other hand talked about games.

Associate
Is it? It was an element for some people I'm sure. But for most of the people I know, they simply weren't onboard with what MS was selling, i.e multimedia with Skype and Kinect integration etc etc. This was front and centre in their marketing - XBOX was to be the focal point of a full-on multimedia system. Sony on the other hand talked about games.

If the XB1 had the multimedia features AND the power at the same price, the all in one media box wouldn't have mattered, it was just an extra you could just ignore. It was only because the power was not up to scratch it was then deemed not to be a dedicated gaming box.

Soldato
If the XB1 had the multimedia features AND the power at the same price, the all in one media box wouldn't have mattered, it was just an extra you could just ignore. It was only because the power was not up to scratch it was then deemed not to be a dedicated gaming box.

You seem to have a terrible memory.

Xbox tried to release a console with a locked DRM system and had to do a last minute U turn, the whole launch of the xbox one was a botch.

PS3 was quick gaining or had over taken the xbox 360 by the use of an amazing line up of exclusives and then reliability issues with the 360 tainting it.

It really wasn't as simple as that one had more power so it won.

Even less so now with us more than ever before being invested in one or the others eco system.

Soldato
A variable 35%-18.2% performance deficit is not going to offer extremely similar performance, that is wishful thinking. The difference will be similar to the original PS4 and Xbox One, except this time the roles are reversed. I disagree that it is all about the games, it will definitely be enough to sway some people, but the vast majority spend most of their time playing cross platform multiplayer games.

LOL - at zero point is the Xbox going to run with a 35% advantage - that is complete BS. As I mentioned, there is a theoretical situation where the Xbox will run with an 18% advantage, and in most cases significantly lower. My word, there is some serious crap coming from the mouths of the Xbox lovers out there.

*note*
I choose in my opinion which is going to be the best platform for me. When I was looking for an upgrade from PS3 I could have chosen either console, with zero backwards compatibility between PS3 and PS4 I was starting fresh anyway. Similar performance, better games on the PS4 simple.

At the PS3 point, XBox outselling and being the "better console". Took the PS3 route as once again the games were simply better and similar performance on both consoles.

Here we are again. This time there is backwards compatibility on the PS side - but this has never been and never will be a selling point to me. I don't buy a new console to play old games.
So once more, I could happily choose either ecosystem at the end of the year.
It is slightly different right now as I've heard nothing about the exclusives for either side. However, history tells us the PS line-up will be incredibly strong. And once again, similarly powered consoles with similar performance, it will 100% come down to the game line-up.

Last edited:
Associate
The fact is that AAA games will run better on the XBOX series X like they do now on ONE X Vs PS4 Pro and like they did on original PS4 Vs XBOX One.
On top of that it seems that PS5 will be more complex and so harder co code games for.
I will still buy PS5 for the exclusives.
All the Xbox games I can play on my PC which I still will be upgrading regularly.

Associate
The bloody presentation Sony gave.

Please don't come in here and give it all that but have not bothered to watch what was actually said all the way through.

No I didn't watch the whole thing just some parts of it so must have missed that.
Most stuff in this thread is speculations anyway and just because Sony said it's easier doesn't mean **** until devs confirm it themselves.
XBOX series X seems to be more simple design with more power and that is what developers like.

Soldato
The difference in TFLOPs between the XSX GPU and the PS5 GPU is the same, in percentage terms, as the difference between the 5700 XT and the 5700 (PS5 boosted) or 5600 XT (PS5 stock).

If all else were equal, there would be a considerable difference in performance between the two machines. But all else isn't equal. So the unanswered question is how much ground the PS5's advantages can make up (Tempest and the faster drive). None of us know the answer yet. Chances are, it'll be a couple of years in to the console generation before the differences really start to become clear. Neither looks like a slouch though.

Soldato
I do worry a bit that Sony are struggling to keep the heat and noise down if it’s running at full power... My PS4 Pro was shocking while my XBX was a real quality unit and hardly ever made a sound.
Watching the Series x videos that really is a nice piece of hardware, just hope Sony can be in the same ballpark this time.

Soldato
Seems people must have had their head in the sand when the Xbox launched.

It was a complete shambles and very little of it was due to specs......

PlayStation was trolling them at how anti consumer they were being....

Soldato
The difference in TFLOPs between the XSX GPU and the PS5 GPU is the same, in percentage terms, as the difference between the 5700 XT and the 5700 (PS5 boosted) or 5600 XT (PS5 stock).

If all else were equal, there would be a considerable difference in performance between the two machines. But all else isn't equal. So the unanswered question is how much ground the PS5's advantages can make up (Tempest and the faster drive). None of us know the answer yet. Chances are, it'll be a couple of years in to the console generation before the differences really start to become clear. Neither looks like a slouch though.
They can shunt as much data as they like at any one time. If the data fired at teh GPU and CPU cant sort it all out, it wont matter. People seem to think SSD speed is somehow tied to graphics output, its not. Also its not liek teh X has a seriously slow SSD, coupled with the faster ram.

Associate
They can shunt as much data as they like at any one time. If the data fired at teh GPU and CPU cant sort it all out, it wont matter. People seem to think SSD speed is somehow tied to graphics output, its not. Also its not liek teh X has a seriously slow SSD, coupled with the faster ram.

That's what I think.
Faster storage will help to better use ram and that is all.
So bigger world's etc but pure graphic effects require GPU power not storage speed.

Back
Top Bottom