• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HDR not working on new 5700xt

Soldato
Hey guys I got a new 5700xt today and having issues with HDR in all my games.

On red dead redemption it has major banding the stripes are just covering all the clouds strobing down the screen.

The other games I tried resident evil 2 and 3 and 7 there is no HDR working at all. The screen is just totally washed out of all colour. My tv says it's getting HDR signal.

Any suggestions on what to try. Thanks.

Edit: I thinking of buying an M2 drive and fresh install windows, will this help?

Last edited:
Soldato

On red dead redemption it has major banding the stripes are just covering all the clouds strobing down the screen.

The other games I tried resident evil 2 and 3 and 7 there is no HDR working at all. The screen is just totally washed out of all colour. My tv says it's getting HDR signal.

Edit: I thinking of buying an M2 drive and fresh install windows, will this help?

Which drivers do you use and which version of the games? RE3 Remake supporting HDR is released next month, how you have issues with it already?

Soldato
OP
Do you have HDR monitor?

I have a tv, samsung fald 55" qled with freesync. I use my desktop in 4k 60hz and I game at 1440p 120hz HDR

All my games have been working fine on my gtx 1080 in hdr.

I wanted more frames on red dead and I wanted freesync which is why I switched over.

Soldato
OP
Which drivers do you use and which version of the games? RE3 Remake supporting HDR is released next month, how you have issues with it already?

I installed the 5700xt today and downloaded driver version 20.3.1

I got the resident evil 3 demo from steam, I played it yesterday on my gtx 1080 and the hdr looked amazing but if I enabled HDR on my 5700xt everything just washes out completely, same on resident evil 2 and 7.

Soldato
I installed the 5700xt today and downloaded driver version 20.3.1

I got the resident evil 3 demo from steam, I played it yesterday on my gtx 1080 and the hdr looked amazing but if I enabled HDR on my 5700xt everything just washes out completely, same on resident evil 2 and 7.

Did you used DDU in windows safe mode before installing the 5700XT? If not, do it now. Wipe out both NV & AMD drivers and install the 20.3.1 fresh.

Soldato
OP
Did you used DDU in windows safe mode before installing the 5700XT? If not, do it now. Wipe out both NV & AMD drivers and install the 20.3.1 fresh.

Ok thanks I will try that now.

Edit: DDU didnt help.

HDR is still totally washed out. Blacks are light grey.

I got rid of the flicker by turning off freesync.

Last edited:
Caporegime

try an eariier driver, think there is an issue with HDR atm. It did work previously for me in Red Dead on 5700 XT.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Quick video showing my 2 issues. My camera is trash and doesn't like recording the tv but you can see it.
https://youtu.be/asdChFgag0g

Freesync just strobes. all games.

HDR not working at all in resident evil 7,2,3. Red dead redemption I had it work twice out of 10 attemps. It worked once in borderlands 3 but when I rebooted it went to trash and everything went super bright and washed out.

I will try old drivers today and order a m2 drive and try a fresh windows install when that arrives.

I have many HDR games, that's all I buy now days, they have all worked and looked great on my gtx 1080.

Caporegime
Quick video showing my 2 issues. My camera is trash and doesn't like recording the tv but you can see it.
https://youtu.be/asdChFgag0g

Freesync just strobes. all games.

HDR not working at all in resident evil 7,2,3. Red dead redemption I had it work twice out of 10 attemps. It worked once in borderlands 3 but when I rebooted it went to trash and everything went super bright and washed out.

I will try old drivers today and order a m2 drive and try a fresh windows install when that arrives.

I have many HDR games, that's all I buy now days, they have all worked and looked great on my gtx 1080.
Start with 19.12.1 and go from there. You'll need to use the DX12 path in RDR2 for HDR i think.

Soldato
HDR on Red Dead is not great unless they improved it for PC. Digital foundry had a video out about it and I think it made the worse with some effects.

Edit: game was patched. You want to use the game mode hdr as that's the new version. The cinema one was old hdr but was really processed sdr according to digital foundry.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@LtMatt is there anyway to get my games to stay in ycb 10bit 422?

I have got borderlands 3 HDR working everytime simply by altR and changing it to 10bpc ycbcr 4:2:2.

With the other games if I altR they are stuck in RGB 8 which doesn't seem to be working.

Desktop settings don't seem to make a difference.

Edit:. Borderlands 3 is playing amazing in 4k HDR and freesync ult is working. The frame rate increase over my gtx 1080 is massive. Im Iocked to 60 with nearly everything on ultra.

It's the first time this card has impressed me.

Really unsure if I should return or keep it. Hopefully I can get HDR and freesync working in my other games.

Also the AMD altR is really cool.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have been playing borderlands 3 for hours, the HDR has blown me away. Im really impressed with what it can do.

I do believe if I could get my other games in ycb 422 10 my HDR and freesync would work.

Does anyone know how I stop my games from switching into RGB 8? Because it's clearly not working on this card.

Soldato
Afaik Samsung TVs always had problems with HDR + Freesync combo, and as for HDR in 1440p 120hz, it never worked on my Sony except once and only at 1080p and not for long. This with a V64.

I also wouldn't bother messing with the chroma settings, leave it RGB 8bit. Games will do their thing as they need to automatically in HDR anyway (like 420 10bit).

Lastly, for RDR2 avoid HDR. It's **** and has always been ****, recent "fixes" notwithstanding. It simply wasn't developed with HDR in mind and it's clearly a very poor effort. I had more luck with fake HDR settings helping out (eg in my case Max brightness & Xtended Dynamic Range to low). It's not really HDR but it's an enhanced SDR of sorts and much better than the actual HDR modes (no matter how you tweak them). I'm sure something similar can be done with the Sammy.

Soldato
OP
I also wouldn't bother messing with the chroma settings, leave it RGB 8bit. Games will do their thing as they need to automatically in HDR anyway (like 420 10bit).
If I leave it in 8bit 444 then I have no freesync and I have no HDR on any of my games.

The games I can get to play in 422 10bit, both HDR and freesync work.

So I need to mess with them. A lot of my games are stuck in 444 8bit which is my problem, Do you know how to change it?

Caporegime
I’ve got a 1080ti and play RDR2 on an LG 4K tv, hdr looks fantastic, my partner has a Samsung TV and HDR looks washed out on it , without changing any settings it’s fine back on the LG display, I’d bet a toilet roll that’s the problem. :)

Back
Top Bottom