• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
They can shunt as much data as they like at any one time. If the data fired at teh GPU and CPU cant sort it all out, it wont matter. People seem to think SSD speed is somehow tied to graphics output, its not. Also its not liek teh X has a seriously slow SSD, coupled with the faster ram.

I don't disagree. But it'll still be a couple of years after launch before the platforms start to mature and any differences become clear and indisputable.

I fully expect the conclusion, some time in 2022 or 2023, to be that the XSX is more powerful. Its been the expectation for some time that Microsoft would go "all out" with the Series X and balance that with a cheaper "Series S" console. The biggest surprise for me is that the PS5 includes a bunch of things which could mean there isn't as much of a price difference as expected.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Other than on techy forums, will anyone really care how powerful either console is? Most, and by most I mean 99% of people, will buy whichever console their mates buy and/or which ever offers the better games.

Associate
LOL - at zero point is the Xbox going to run with a 35% advantage - that is complete BS. As I mentioned, there is a theoretical situation where the Xbox will run with an 18% advantage, and in most cases significantly lower. My word, there is some serious crap coming from the mouths of the Xbox lovers out there.
Variable boost clocks means that it will definitely not be running at those clocks for well optimized games under sustained high load. Early leaks that got the number of CU's correct suggest it is really a 9TF machine with insanely high boost clocks under low loads for marketing, which clearly works. Do the math, 12.15TF / 9TF x 100 = 135%. I'm not an Xbox lover, in fact I've never owned an Xbox console in my life, but I am also not a PS fanboy unable to consider the facts in an unbiased manner.

Soldato
Other than on techy forums, will anyone really care how powerful either console is? Most, and by most I mean 99% of people, will buy whichever console their mates buy and/or which ever offers the better games.

Agreed I'm not bothered as I'll probably end up buying both anyway over the next year or two! It sounds like they're on a basically level footing anyway and like the previous generation are very nearly identical systems in terms of the hardware.

I'm more interested to see the games personally. Though in terms of hardware I'm curious whether Sony will change the controller design and features. Disappointingly the new Xbox one is basically identical to the previous generation so this is one area where the PS5 could stand out against the Xbox.

I'm also hoping we get some announcements regarding the next generation of Playstation VR though I think they'll wait until next year to do that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm curious whether Sony will change the controller design and features. Disappointingly the new Xbox one is basically identical to the previous generation so this is one area where the PS5 could stand out against the Xbox.

The DualShock 5 is supposed to have more haptic feedback and possibly a microphone for voice control. But at the end of the day, the big new feature on the DualShock 4 (the touchpad) was used by hardly anybody except as a giant button. That was very disappointing.

Soldato
I'm more interested to see the games personally. Though in terms of hardware I'm curious whether Sony will change the controller design and features. Disappointingly the new Xbox one is basically identical to the previous generation so this is one area where the PS5 could stand out against the Xbox.

Sony releasing the back button add on for the DS4 so late into it's life cycle I'm hoping it's a sign of things to come.

Really need this "tear down" that was mentioned and quickly.

Soldato

Not in the slightest. I'll buy the PS5 as it will have the best games (judging by Sony developers and if the PS4 era is anything to go by). The only game of interest on the Series X would be Hellblade but seeing that's coming to Windows anyway, I see no need for the Series X

Soldato
I was hoping the PS5 would finally give full backward compatibility for the Playstation library, or at least most of it (I know the PS3's architecture was very different.) There was a rumour floating around the internet that the PS5 would have this and it got me legitimately excited. Then I got even MORE excited when I watched the Digital Foundry's look into SeriesX's backward compatibility and how it can effectively give old games a new lick of next-gen paint without any work from the original developer. Wow!

So I'm deflated tbh. The dream was to have one machine play my library of classics without the need to lug out my old CRT because the old games run like crap on HDTVs.

The PS5 in every other respect sounds like a fantastic machine. I just think with the technology they have available today, they could very easily equate BC into the console, they're just choosing not too which is lousy. Even though I've never really been an Xbox gamer (bought a 360 for Lost Odyssey) Microsoft should be applauded for pushing this. It's the difference between a day 1 purchase and waiting potentially years down the line for a system seller game to arrive.

Soldato
It wouldn't be easy at all, especially not for PS3 games because the architecture was so different.
I'm aware of the PS3's different architecture (as I said in my post) and understand to a degree the difficulty it would bring. But it's not impossible. Sony could enable full backward compatibility with PS1 and PS2 games if they wanted to. Of course they could. Then for the PS3 they could expand BC on a per game basis.

I'm hoping in the proper PS5 reveal they announce PS1 and PS2 BC but it's looking doubtful. If they do, like how Microsoft are handling BC, then it's a day 1 purchase for me.

Associate
I'm aware of the PS3's different architecture (as I said in my post) and understand to a degree the difficulty it would bring. But it's not impossible.
Of course it's not impossible, but it's totally unrealistic to have any expectations for PS3 backwards compatibility due to the level of difficulty with the different architecture. The original PS3 had PS2 hardware inside of it to enable compatibility.

Soldato
The original PS3 had PS2 hardware inside of it to enable compatibility.
The European version didn't, they took the hardware out and charged more. I remember being ****** at the time and despite following the development of the PS3 like a rabid fanboy, I didn't end up buying one until the Super Slim appeared on offer years later because of it.

Associate
The European version didn't, they took the hardware out and charged more. I remember being ****** at the time and despite following the development of the PS3 like a rabid fanboy, I didn't end up buying one until the Super Slim appeared on offer years later because of it.

Launch version did have PS2 BC. I had one.

Soldato
Of course it's not impossible, but it's totally unrealistic to have any expectations for PS3 backwards compatibility due to the level of difficulty with the different architecture. The original PS3 had PS2 hardware inside of it to enable compatibility.

There are PS3 games running on PCs which are less powerful than the PS5. The software enabling that to happen was built by independent developers who had to reverse engineer everything. Dicey subject to discuss here, but it does illustrate that it should be well within the realms of possibility. It's a matter of motivation. Evidently, Sony aren't motivated to do it. There's every chance the choice is money motivated; how much will the software cost to build, and how much in game sales revenue will BC generate vs how much PSNow revenue will be lost?

Soldato
Variable boost clocks means that it will definitely not be running at those clocks for well optimized games under sustained high load. Early leaks that got the number of CU's correct suggest it is really a 9TF machine with insanely high boost clocks under low loads for marketing, which clearly works. Do the math, 12.15TF / 9TF x 100 = 135%. I'm not an Xbox lover, in fact I've never owned an Xbox console in my life, but I am also not a PS fanboy unable to consider the facts in an unbiased manner.

Stop counting the damn terraflops. They do mean nothing. PS5 has completely different API than Xbox with much lower overheads.
While still using RDNA2 the APU is completely different internally than the one used in the XBOX including the structure of the GPU. The exclusives will also be written differently for the PS5 than the XBOX to use the extra hardware that is still under NDA.

YES. Parts of the console hardware are still under NDA so stop extrapolating. In addition PS5 has SmartShift and that includes the GPU, CPU and the 1.90Tflop GPU-soundchip.

And before you ask for "source" again, go back few pages or use Google. You are in tech forum after all, should know how to use it.

Soldato
There are PS3 games running on PCs which are less powerful than the PS5. The software enabling that to happen was built by independent developers who had to reverse engineer everything. Dicey subject to discuss here, but it does illustrate that it should be well within the realms of possibility. It's a matter of motivation. Evidently, Sony aren't motivated to do it. There's every chance the choice is money motivated; how much will the software cost to build, and how much in game sales revenue will BC generate vs how much PSNow revenue will be lost?

Fallout 3 is one of my favourite games. However having played it on PS3 during Xmas 2009 and PC on 2008, on PS3 was much much better experience.
Would it be the TV? Would be it be the much much better sound of the PS3 sound chip, even if I had an Audigy on PC? Who knows.
What I do know, while having a pretty powerfull PC all the time, PS3/PS4/PS4Pro were my go do to play all big games since then and on PC I play only games that don't exist on PS.

During a moon owned a Xbone an XBoneX but sold them.

Soldato
FYI regarding PS5 combatibility, SONY got already a patent.

https://www.ccn.com/new-sony-patent-may-solve-the-ps5s-biggest-mystery/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
In addition to another patent for the cooling from 2018.

https://patents.justia.com/patent/D827588

Sony has applied for a patent on a heatsink that sits on the opposite side of the PWB of the APU has thru-hole thermal conduits that touch the bottom side of the package (the area is voided by virtue of a package with fan-out that avoids the center of the device). It also appears to depict (amongst other things), stacked die within the package (5c, 5d) and another heatsink or other assembly on the top of the package (9).

Associate
Stop counting the damn terraflops. They do mean nothing. PS5 has completely different API than Xbox with much lower overheads.
Not sure if you actually believe this nonsense or if you're a troll. If Sony's completely different API was so much better than Microsoft's then why does the Xbox One X consistently outperform the PS4 Pro by as much as I would expect in digital foundry's analysis videos?

Back
Top Bottom