Half-Life: Alyx

Caporegime
My advice is don't try it unless you've got a few grand to upgrade your pc and buy a headset, if you try it you will want one. Iam on my 4th headset had a vive, cv1, go and now a rift s. Having a head crab jump out at you from the shadows in vr will be terrifying. Zombies will look 6ft tall, the citadel will tower over you just like looking at a real skyscraper. Cannot wait for Monday now.:D
I've got the PC. So for me its a headset of for around 500ish EUR (if I can find one!) for a Rift S or Quest.

But thats a different discussion seperate from this game. Won't plague this thread anymore :)

Associate
i know half life 1 and 2 I played them when they were released, I’m 37.
I'm even older than that sadly. I definitely played 1, can't remember a damn thing about 2 hence why I'm playing it though now. It looks much much worse than anything I've seen in the Alyx footage unless you start applying modern mods to it.

VR games certainly take a visual quality hit to keep frames rates up, but trust me, it doesn't look nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

Soldato
I've a feeling from the trailer that fluidity will be it's killer feature. One of the reasons I am hopeful in ramping up the frequency to 120hz, and playing with the Index controllers open hand while gliding across, like what you see in the video when clearing the view through the shelf.

You tend to find that dedicated VR games take less of a visual hit over the ports anyway. It'll look great on the Index, dedicated apps like Saints and Sinners do to.

If I wanted to play this on the cheap, what are my best options? Second hand Mixed Reality, Odyssey+ etc? I'm not massively interested in VR (I mean it's cool and all, but this is the only title that's grabbed me as it's more in the HL universe/story).

I note that most places are OOS, or secondhand the prices have skyrocketed so I may be best waiting until after release?

Permabanned
If you want VR on the cheap then perhaps a previous gen Oculus Rift CV1 isn't a bad choice. Good quality controllers, good headset, hardware IPD, OLED 1080x1200 per eye screens. It does use base stations, so you would need some room to setup.
Plenty on ebay.

Associate
If you want it to look good without spending a lot look at the odyssey plus, think they have a couple of second hand ones at cex.
Could also look at the rift s if you want to spend a bit more
Almost everything new is sold out

Soldato
I'm really hoping there are no issues streaming with VD when this launches like there were with boneworks….

I believe 5pm GMT is when it's getting released? I've got it pre-loaded and warned the wife she won't be seeing me for a while :D

Permabanned
Well, I have made sure I have plenty of underwear washed and ready, this might be the first VR game where I might need a change at regular intervals.
Few hours to go.

Man of Honour
Well, I have made sure I have plenty of underwear washed and ready, this might be the first VR game where I might need a change at regular intervals.
Few hours to go.

I stopped playing wilson's heart because I am too much of a chicken. Hoping that love for the universe will get me through the brown trouser barrier.

Soldato
I stopped playing wilson's heart because I am too much of a chicken. Hoping that love for the universe will get me through the brown trouser barrier.

Pre-loading myself and I've also recently discovered I'm much more of a chicken than I thought...hope the brown trouser parts are few and far between! :)

Back
Top Bottom