• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Not sure if you actually believe this nonsense or if you're a troll. If Sony's completely different API was so much better than Microsoft's then why does the Xbox One X consistently outperform the PS4 Pro by as much as I would expect in digital foundry's analysis videos?

It’s the magical Sony reality field, where there HAS to be some way for a lower spec design to be best.

At the end of the day, Sony designed a 9.2 Tflop console, realised it was too late to change once Xbox announced their specs, so they’ve had to overclock to get a more marketing friendly >10 Tflops. At the same time they’ve hilariously decided to defy all sense by claiming that consoles using almost identical chipsets suddenly cannot be compared on their Tflop specifications.

In the interim they’ve also clearly had to redesign the chassis to cope with the greatly increased cooling requirements that this has created. Hence why they’re not showing off any of the final hardware still.

Soldato
Remember when we all played games on our PS4's and Xbones?
Remember all the fun we had on Horizon Zero Dawn, or Red Dead 2, or Forza or God of War or Halo or Spiderman?
Remember how Tflops meant **** all and litterally no one at all was counting the triangles on screen while playing?

Yeah, same thing for next-gen :)

I know some people are all about the bragging rights on bigger numbers (hell, I did it myself in my younger days) but I think the next gen is gonna be lots of fun no matter what camp you're in and I can't wait for more juicy deets about both consoles coming out in the coming months.

Soldato
Variable boost clocks means that it will definitely not be running at those clocks for well optimized games under sustained high load. Early leaks that got the number of CU's correct suggest it is really a 9TF machine with insanely high boost clocks under low loads for marketing, which clearly works. Do the math, 12.15TF / 9TF x 100 = 135%. I'm not an Xbox lover, in fact I've never owned an Xbox console in my life, but I am also not a PS fanboy unable to consider the facts in an unbiased manner.

I'm out - I simply cannot wait for about 6/7 months time when you are shown to be completely wrong :)
You've fallen into the "MoRe Tf'S" trap which every sane person in the industry has said not to - when you've got people with 10+ years of development experience saying that the PS5 is the most innovative hardware release ever and that the whole package makes it what it is - then you and the rest came along with "BuT haS it GOT mOrE tf'S?"

I am not 100% decided what I'll be doing yet, but on the information we have seen, my pennies are more likely to be going the Sony route.

Soldato
Still using DX12.

Do you really think it will be essential for every game (presuming there is a significant difference)? If I go in Metro Exodus and turn the settings up, the limitation comes from the GPU. If I go in RDR2 an turn the settings up, the limitation comes from the GPU, if I go into Deus EX: MD the limitation comes from the GPU. If I go into Anthem and turn the settings up, the limitation comes from the GPU. If I go into JC 4 the limitation comes from the GPU and so on...

Caporegime
I am not 100% decided what I'll be doing yet, but on the information we have seen, my pennies are more likely to be going the Sony route.

Every passing day, I keep changing my mind. It doesn't make sense for me to buy an Xbox Series X at this time because I can play all the Xbox Studios games (even if they have to run at 720p30) on my PC - even though I would dearly love one. But the PS5 will still have its glorious exclusive titles. Even though I moan about PC gaming a lot, I think I'd miss it now.

Associate
I'm out - I simply cannot wait for about 6/7 months time when you are shown to be completely wrong :)
You've fallen into the "MoRe Tf'S" trap which every sane person in the industry has said not to - when you've got people with 10+ years of development experience saying that the PS5 is the most innovative hardware release ever and that the whole package makes it what it is - then you and the rest came along with "BuT haS it GOT mOrE tf'S?"

What specifically do you think I will be wrong about? You appear to have fallen for their marketing lines, "innovative" does not mean that it won't still be significantly behind the Xbox in terms of graphical power/fidelity.
It’s the magical Sony reality field, where there HAS to be some way for a lower spec design to be best.

At the end of the day, Sony designed a 9.2 Tflop console, realised it was too late to change once Xbox announced their specs, so they’ve had to overclock to get a more marketing friendly >10 Tflops. At the same time they’ve hilariously decided to defy all sense by claiming that consoles using almost identical chipsets suddenly cannot be compared on their Tflop specifications.

In the interim they’ve also clearly had to redesign the chassis to cope with the greatly increased cooling requirements that this has created. Hence why they’re not showing off any of the final hardware still.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

Soldato
Every passing day, I keep changing my mind. It doesn't make sense for me to buy an Xbox Series X at this time because I can play all the Xbox Studios games (even if they have to run at 720p30) on my PC - even though I would dearly love one. But the PS5 will still have its glorious exclusive titles. Even though I moan about PC gaming a lot, I think I'd miss it now.
People are getting way to bent out of shape over specs and the normal trolls are poping out of their caves with their conspiracy theory's.

The Xbox is beastly theres no doubt but the Xbox game line up does not excite me. Fable and Mass Effect were my fav Xbox games. (Microsoft closed Lionshead) Halo has been complete garbage for the past few years this new one seems to be trying hard to change that. Gears went down hill after 2 but 5 was a return to form. It was brilliant.

If multiple game developers have came out and claimed the PS5 is no slouch then why get your nickers in a twist.

Associate
It's not about whether to get the PS5 or not. That's a certainty. I'm wrestling with getting an Xbox as well.
I think you are in the minority, I doubt most people will want to or be able to spend money on both. If the performance difference is as substantial as I expect and price difference less than £100 I'll probably be switching to Xbox this gen. PS4 Pro should still be supported for a good few years so I can use that for any exclusives I want, and I should be able to get a PS5 a few years later when it's heavily discounted.

Soldato
I'm also in the same boat of changing my opinion on a daily basis. The thing is, for the AAA titles, surely they'll have to code fir the lowest denominator, so therefore it doesn't really matter which machine is the best on paper, both will be close enough for those who don't analyse frame by frame (and both are beastly)

The leads me to then think about the exclusives, which is yet again a repeated argument. I could not care less about spiderman, but games like Uncharted, Halo, God of War, Gears, TLOA, etc make me wonder which of the systems I should go for. Silly, but I think the form factor and cooling might be the thing that sways me!

Soldato
I'm also in the same boat of changing my opinion on a daily basis. The thing is, for the AAA titles, surely they'll have to code fir the lowest denominator, so therefore it doesn't really matter which machine is the best on paper, both will be close enough for those who don't analyse frame by frame (and both are beastly)

The leads me to then think about the exclusives, which is yet again a repeated argument. I could not care less about spiderman, but games like Uncharted, Halo, God of War, Gears, TLOA, etc make me wonder which of the systems I should go for. Silly, but I think the form factor and cooling might be the thing that sways me!

SONY got couple of clever patents on cooling the new console we shall see.

Soldato
SONY got couple of clever patents on cooling the new console we shall see.
The pro might be noisy but mine was in a cupboard and I played the crap out of it with no problems.

I have multiple people on my Xbox friends list who had to tear their Xboxes X apart and redo their thermal paste due to over heating or noise. Can't really remember why was to busy poking fun. Mine has shut it's self down a few times for no reason. Not not sure why.

Just turned 38 and have had consoles ever made. I know what company makes the better hardware.

Soldato
Remember when we all played games on our PS4's and Xbones?
Remember all the fun we had on Horizon Zero Dawn, or Red Dead 2, or Forza or God of War or Halo or Spiderman?
Remember how Tflops meant **** all and litterally no one at all was counting the triangles on screen while playing?

Yeah, same thing for next-gen :)

I know some people are all about the bragging rights on bigger numbers (hell, I did it myself in my younger days) but I think the next gen is gonna be lots of fun no matter what camp you're in and I can't wait for more juicy deets about both consoles coming out in the coming months.
Spot on man.

Associate
It will all come down to the games at the end of the day, Microsoft has spent the last few years buying up studios like they are going out of fashion so we could potentially see a whole new collection of exclusives for the Series X. Howerevr, since they release all their exclusives day and date on PC I'll play them there.

I'm unsure on the PS5, it gives me horrible flashbacks to the cell architecture which ultimately was a great solution, but it took years for its potential to be realised.

Ultimately most people will stick with the brand they have been using for the last 7 years, it's stupid but people are brand loyal and when it comes to consoles people have massive blindspots.

Back
Top Bottom