Samsung TV's - Q60,70,80,85,90 which one?

Soldato
I don't understand the differences between the Samsung models.

I'm thinking about buying a 55" or 65" TV. Currently have an LG one with a burnt in screen, not making that mistake again, before anyone asks.

I will be using this for watching TV in the living room, I have a Netflix/Amazon Prime subscription and a Humax Freesat box. I don't use any gaming console or such like and I watch normal TV channels and movies, not sport.

So I'm wondering which model Samsung to get? In both the 55 and 65 inch sizes they do all of these different models and I'm unsure which one to get? There's a massive difference in price between a Q60 and a Q90, but what is the real difference? Should I be looking at a Q80 instead of a Q90? I have no idea, hoping someone can shed some light on the matter for me.

Soldato
I've just bought a 65'' Q70R with soundbar for £999.

As you move up from Q60 to 70, 80 etc, the screens get slightly better. The R models are all on offer now as they have been replaced by the T models, I couldn't tell you what the differences are although again, the T models are much pricier.

How much are you looking to spend?

Soldato
The biggest difference that changes from budget to more premium sets is HDR performance. In particular, if the set has local dimming zones (and how many). Q60R for example has none so I'd not recommend it if you want HDR performance. Now there's a lot of other changes, and incremental increases in things like brightness, etc. but to me that's the main difference. You can find exact details on rtings.com

Since you mentioned it's a living room, I assume it's generally bright? In that case another advantage a Q80R or a Q90R have are their anti-reflective coating, which can help deal with being in bright rooms. Imo Q90R is priced absurdly high and doesn't even warrant a look, but the Q80R is priced nicely atm and even with a soundbar (HWR550) to boot for £1300 at 65", which at least you can sell on if you don't want and therefore lowers the cost.

Soldato
I was seriously tempted by the Q80R myself but felt the £300 extra was a bit too much. It all depends on your budget, I wanted to keep it as close to 1k as possible.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies.:)

Budget I guess would be around the £1K mark. I could stretch to £1,300.

Just have this (gut) feeling that the diferences between the different TV's are minimal and don't justify the big dfferences in price. Can't get out to view them either at the moment and that makes me kind of nervous. Even if I culd get out and view them, no local retailer has all of these, seems the most they have is two of the models, but not all. Is the 80R the (current) sweet spot? So the screens are actually different then? I was under the impression it was just the processor that was different.

I wouldn't describe my living room as very bright, but it does catch the sun in the afternoon for an hour or so.

This one looks interesting to me:- https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-q...eesat-hd-apple-tv-app-eclipse-silver/p4141143 £400 cheaper for the 55" vs the 65", I can live with 55" (currently have 48").

What is HDR performance Poneros? Not sure I know what that is? High defintion something or rather?

Last edited:
Soldato

Budget I guess would be around the £1K mark. I could stretch to £1,300.

Just have this (gut) feeling that the diferences between the different TV's are minimal and don't justify the big dfferences in price. Can't get out to view them either at the moment and that makes me kind of nervous. Even if I culd get out and view them, no local retailer has all of these, seems the most they have is two of the models, but not all. Is the 80R the (current) sweet spot? So the screens are actually different then? I was under the impression it was just the processor that was different.

I wouldn't describe my living room as very bright, but it does catch the sun in the afternoon for an hour or so.

What is HDR performance Poneros? Not sure I know what that is? High defintion something or rather?
Pretty sure they all have the same image processor. You just step up to some niceties when go to higher model. As previously mentioned, the Q80 has an excellent anti reflective coating. It also has more local dimming zones which help contrast and displaying better blacks. HDR is high dynamic range colour which is essentially high definition colour that is supported in some content. Netflix etc show in HDR. I went for the Q80 in the end and happy with it. If the Q70 was in-stock when I got it, I would have been tempted at the price.

Do not go for the 2020 models, Q70T, etc. They have generally been regarded by reviewers as a step down. The Q70T for example has cut local dimming. I done some heavy research before buying so I can try answer any more questions you have.

Soldato
Only QLED worth buying is the Q90R and that's only if you don't play games. If you play games don't bother with qled

Soldato

I think for the price the Q80R is a sweetspot, I'd have said also look at Q70R if you don't need the anti-glare but the price difference is too small so the Q80R is a better buy. As for HDR:

Associate
Q80R is when the models have the anti glare film on them. It makes a remarkable difference so it doesn't look like you are looking at yourself when watching TVs.

Soldato
still not seen any reviews of their new dual led stuff ....did it help ?
but I (still) think that 'supposed' full array local dimming premium, may not be worth it, and the halo effect may be too prominant from youtube videos ( I turn off most of the widgets, automatic/ambiant contrast, frame creation on the existing pan i have)
so would tend to either go low end w/o dimming or top of the range, which, overlaps with oled pricing.
following recent philips posts would be interested to see one in the flesh.

The duel led stuff from samsung could be adding to colour density https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tec...q70t-q60t-frame-qled-4k-tv-dual-led-backlight ... but haven't seen any reviews.

Soldato
Only QLED worth buying is the Q90R and that's only if you don't play games. If you play games don't bother with qled

Utter tripe. I've been playing games on my 65Q85R for the past year or so and it's a brilliant experience. 1440p@120hz on a 65" screen is sublime.

Associate
Kicking myself for not picking up a 55Q85R when they were <£1000 recently. Seemed like as soon as Amazon sold their last one everyone's prices shot back up.

Our ~9 year old Panasonic Plasma is turning itself on and off occasionally so maybe due a new set soon, had been doing a little research.

Soldato
so did you find further details/links, than the details above, dimming zone increase, increased brightness(benchmarked anywhere ?), and anti-glare ,
to justify the £200 premium over q80 ... which had been my takeaway from the thread, so far.

elsewhere https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-q80r-in-the-uk.2246659/
I didn't want to wait, so I went to Currys/PC World - my local store had the 65" Q70R, 65" Q80R and 65" Q85R on display. They gave me a remote and allowed me to access the service menu to check the "Dimming Zones" parameter.
  • 65" Q70R: [Dimming Zones 4x12] (48 zones)
  • 65" Q80R: [Dimming Zones 4x12] (48 zones)
  • 65" Q85R: [Dimming Zones 8x12] (96 zones)
The UK Q80R is simply the Q70R with the wide angle filter and it can go brighter.

The UK Q85R is the same as the USA Q80R except it includes the one connect box.

Associate
so did you find further details/links, than the details above, dimming zone increase, increased brightness(benchmarked anywhere ?), and anti-glare ,
to justify the £200 premium over q80 ... which had been my takeaway from the thread, so far.

That plus the One Connect box is my understanding, yes.

The difference for me, looking now, for a 55" seems to be £100.

80 is £899 (£999 - £100), versus the 85 at £999 (£1199 - £200).

Caporegime
I don't understand the differences between the Samsung models.

I'm thinking about buying a 55" or 65" TV. Currently have an LG one with a burnt in screen, not making that mistake again, before anyone asks.

I will be using this for watching TV in the living room, I have a Netflix/Amazon Prime subscription and a Humax Freesat box. I don't use any gaming console or such like and I watch normal TV channels and movies, not sport.

So I'm wondering which model Samsung to get? In both the 55 and 65 inch sizes they do all of these different models and I'm unsure which one to get? There's a massive difference in price between a Q60 and a Q90, but what is the real difference? Should I be looking at a Q80 instead of a Q90? I have no idea, hoping someone can shed some light on the matter for me.

https://www.rtings.com/

go to that website it will tell you all you need to know.

essentially when it comes to tv's the more you spend the better it is usually, there will be some outliers like the frame tv, etc. however if looking at top end samsung i'd rather buy an LG OLED.

Back
Top Bottom