GPU running at insane temps

Associate
OP
I couldn't find my precision screwdriver set (darn kids moving my stuff!) so couldn't dismantle the GPU to check inside but agree - I'm 99% sure the GPU overheating is down to either a build up of dust (you can see the fan on it is very dusty) or needing new thermal paste.

I've ordered some compressed air cans and will give it a good blast to see if that helps.

Associate
His second monitor (which is really old VGA) was previously on a VGA to DVI adapter on the GTX 770! I've tried using the VGA to DVI then a second adapter DVI to DP but it doesn't work so will have to pick up two new adapers for him (one DVI to DP that can handle the refresh rate and one VGA to DP or HDMI).

If anyone has had these issues before and can recommend a solution I'd appreciate the advice, failing that will just google!

If the card only has HDMI and Displayport then it has no analogue outputs at all, so you won't be able to connect a VGA monitor to it easily.

Associate
OP
Maybe the card has had it ? ...how old is it ?
Card is around 6 years old and served me flawlessly for around 5 years before donating it to my son around a year ago when his GTX 960 developed a faulty fan (I took the opportunity to upgrade to a Vega 56 and an MSI Quad HD 27" 144Hz monitor to compliment)

If the card only has HDMI and Displayport then it has no analogue outputs at all, so you won't be able to connect a VGA monitor to it easily.
Is it not just a case of picking up a cheap adapter?

Associate
OP
Did you check if graphics card's cooler was clogged by dust?
Especially in cases without filters insides can get really dusty after few years.
Ok so finally had time to take the card apart yesterday - was completely caked up with dust.

Give it a good clean & give the heatsink a good blast with the compressed air. It's back in and working a treat!

Might sell the RX590 as he really doesn't need it for Fortnite and has a list of other things he wants for his gaming setup starting with a new desk.

Soldato
Give it a good clean & give the heatsink a good blast with the compressed air.
Just remember to be carefull with fans/block them from turning, because compressed air can overspeed them and damage bearing.
At least if using actual air compressor instead of canned air.

Back
Top Bottom