Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
For that money you could get a cordless SDS or a Brushless combi drill and impact driver set. You probably need to decide what you actually need. While there is some cross over, really they are two different tools for different jobs.

To be honest any of the premium brands are fine and the ecosystems are all so similar.

Soldato
Thanks I ended up getting a dewalt cordless combi drill model 778. The kits were not to much more but I'm happy with my impact driver. It seems a lot better than my old one, next thing I need is a jigsaw and the batteries from the drill can be used in that =)

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Anybody using the DeWalt DCS365 18v Mitre Saw, I will have a lot of skirting/architrave to do come spring and the mitre saw I've been borrowing doesn't seem to cut square any longer so looking at investing in my own?

I went for this in the end, paid a touch over £270 for the bare tool which comparing it to others of similar spec is quite expensive but the cordless practicality is fantastic, it's pretty light weight for its size, very quiet in comparison to other saws I've used, cuts like a 240v saw. Running it with a 4ah battery and it probably did 40 cuts in 4x2 and 6x2 and used 1 power bar on the battery.

Soldato

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Yea, classic screwfix... it’s really frustrating when they do these ‘clear outs’ and then no where has them in stock. At least if it showed where it would appease a little.

Soldato
Picked up this work light today from Lidl -You can have either light on or both -2x5w COB Led-- You can also plug your phone in to charge phone up -acts as a power bank 5000mAh - operating voltage 3.7v
haven't tried dropping it yet. £15

414391777.jpg

Associate
Got an old cordless Bosch PSB 24 VE-2 drill, with the battery not lasting long nowadays. The drill is 20+ years old at a guess and a new battery is £25-30.
Question is, it worth getting a new battery and sticking with the drill or buying new gear?
It does what it needs to I suppose, even though it is a tad heavy for prolonged use, however I am only a casual DIY'er.
I've got a couple of cordless Worx tools for the batteyry sharing thing so was looking at there drill kits (which includes the power drill and impact driver for under £100) as a possible replacement.

Ta

Soldato
Bought an angel grinder but need a disc...
Plan is to remove drive way gates. Can either grind off a small hammered lump to lift the gates off or cut off the bracket. Admittedly not sure how far I want to take it. The other side the gates and post were removed from the ground.

Soldato
Got an old cordless Bosch PSB 24 VE-2 drill, with the battery not lasting long nowadays. The drill is 20+ years old at a guess and a new battery is £25-30.
Question is, it worth getting a new battery and sticking with the drill or buying new gear?
It does what it needs to I suppose, even though it is a tad heavy for prolonged use, however I am only a casual DIY'er.
I've got a couple of cordless Worx tools for the batteyry sharing thing so was looking at there drill kits (which includes the power drill and impact driver for under £100) as a possible replacement.

Ta

Depending on the battery you may be able to pick up some refurbs on Amazon and Ebay. or copies.

Soldato
Bought an angel grinder but need a disc...
Plan is to remove drive way gates. Can either grind off a small hammered lump to lift the gates off or cut off the bracket. Admittedly not sure how far I want to take it. The other side the gates and post were removed from the ground.
Get a face mask, and don’t remove the handle. Angle grinders are a really good way to ruin your day. One of the most common sources of injuries at work.

Associate
Depending on the battery you may be able to pick up some refurbs on Amazon and Ebay. or copies.

Yeah, I'd had a look, copies etc are the £25-30 mark.
So was balancing up getting a Worx one for another £20-30 on top of that as I have several of the batteries already.
Ta.

Soldato
Picked up this work light today from Lidl -You can have either light on or both -2x5w COB Led-- You can also plug your phone in to charge phone up -acts as a power bank 5000mAh - operating voltage 3.7v
haven't tried dropping it yet. £15

414391777.jpg

any reviews on this? Have you played with it yet

Soldato
Yes- for 15 quid its quite a good work light - like I said you can have one or the other light on or both - it is dazzling though but it lights a garage up well. - Mate over the road has one now and he uses it for doing his job which means he aims one light up and other horizontal. - turn it on in a bedroom and it's like a normal light.
I plugged my phone in the other day -it just about charged it but phone is 4500ma (torch is 5000ma -then had to charge lamp.
The base magnet is strong.
You might have to look round for one now as they have sold out in the Lidl's by me.

Soldato
I spotted a ridiculously cheap Ryobi drill on clearance at my local homebase. I have dewalt stuff so I promised it to a friend. Then I googled it and realised how cheap it was and kinda regret it lol.

38 quid for a brushless e torque drill with charger and 2x2.5ah batteries in a zip bag.

He's got himself a bargain. They are near 200 quid online.

Soldato
I spotted a ridiculously cheap Ryobi drill on clearance at my local homebase. I have dewalt stuff so I promised it to a friend. Then I googled it and realised how cheap it was and kinda regret it lol.

38 quid for a brushless e torque drill with charger and 2x2.5ah batteries in a zip bag.

He's got himself a bargain. They are near 200 quid online.

Just tell him the true price and remind him hes due you a solid.

Soldato
Guys, just after a bit of advice, I could do with a hedge trimmer, strimmer and leaf blower for the garden. I currenlty have a couple of Dewalt 18V XR range tools and wondering if anyone has any experience of their garden tools that use this battery? (not the flexvolt), or should I look elsewhere? Seen the Ryobi stuff seems popular elsewhere.

https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-dcv100-xj-18v-xr-compact-blower/p37160

https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-dcm561p1s-gb-18v-xr-33cm-brushless-cordless-string-trimmer/p98660

Soldato
I’ve got the Dewalt cordless blower. It’s really good to be honest but it’d be nice to have a vacuum function which the Ryobi has. Not sure how powerful it’d be though.

I have a Ryobi hedge trimmer though and that’s great. I have a Dewalt to Ryobi battery converter to use Dewalt batteries in. The Ryobi tools which works well. Saves buying more batteries.

Back
Top Bottom