F1 Virtual Grand Prix

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
After a brain fart, I deleted the wrong thread. I have the original quotes though:

@SDK^ said:
This sounds like it will be interesting to watch

Formula 1 launches Virtual Grand Prix Series to replace postponed races
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...mXbf3rgYh1Z9vX1zxx8DOvfNCG28urc6AZSB5MsXLWPSQ

@this_is_gav said:
I was interested in watching until I read the line "The series will use the official F1 2019 PC video game".

I understand why being the only licensed game, but they really ought to use a sim.

@Mr Jack said:
What do you think F1 2019 is if not a sim? I doubt very much that it is as precise as the teams' own simulators but I also doubt very much that the teams simulators have the capacity to run networked games for drivers in scattered locations. Codemasters' physics simulation tech is very complex and detailed. It was impressive last time I saw the code about a decade ago and I have no doubt that its moved on from there. Of course, most of the time the game is played with a host of aids layered over the top of that to make it easier to play and simultaneously less realistic, but turn those off and you have an extremely accurate and impressive simulator.

The biggest difference will be that the differential between cars is tuned down, and the stewarding decisions rely on an algorithm.

Associate
I'm actually looking forward to this, I imagine the teams are busy building their respective drivers the most OP pcs ever constructed to gain an edge :D

Bets on all teams except Ferrari getting DDos'd? :D

Soldato
Mr Jack said:
What do you think F1 2019 is if not a sim?

In short, anything you can play (relatively well) with a joypad isn't a sim.

I'm sure Codemaster's physics code is indeed complex and detailed, however Codemasters have long had a reputation for making games aimed more at the casual gamer than sim racers; that, after all, is where the money is.

But if you've done any real racing (at any standard) or even track days you'll quickly realise that F1 2019 is not a sim, even at it's most hardcore. Something like iRacing is exactly what would be more suitable for this, though of course iRacing won't have most of the circuits or official liveries, let alone cars.

Don't get me wrong, those who would have been quick on iRacing or rF2 or Assetto Corsa will also be quick on F1 2019 as the same basic skills are needed, but I'm not interested in watching some of the best racers on the planet playing a watered down equivalent when there far more challenging options.

Frankly if it was up to me I'd have made them all play Grand Prix Legends. That would sort them out. :D

Caporegime
Don't get me wrong, those who would have been quick on iRacing or rF2 or Assetto Corsa will also be quick on F1 2019 as the same basic skills are needed, but I'm not interested in watching some of the best racers on the planet playing a watered down equivalent when there far more challenging options.

Since, according to the announcement "Due to the wide variety of gaming skill levels amongst the drivers, game settings will be configured in such a way to encourage competitive and entertaining racing. This includes running equal car performance with fixed setups, reduced vehicle damage, and optional anti-lock brakes and traction control for those less familiar with the game" they're not really going for the most realistic settings available in F1 2019, I guess it's a bit of a moot point.

I shall watch the first race and see how it shapes up.

Soldato
There's an online series of races going on at the minute on youtube, hosted by The Race. These do actually include a number of drivers from top disciplines, as well as those from eSports. The second race was yesterday on the Indy road circuit, which made for some good racing.

Soldato
I'll be watching the first one as a bit of light relief, yes it's not a real sim and yes it's not all the current drivers (but some big names) but it should be funny.

Soldato
Watching via Jimmy Broadbents stream, I've been watching a lot of these E-Sport racing streams recently, more often than not more exciting to watch than real racing! Especially when you have real racing drivers doing it. I have enjoyed Sim racing for years and its great to see it have more exposure.
Would love to see Jimmer do well, but I'm cheering for Lando!

Back
Top Bottom