Insurance Question

Soldato
Had an accident today involving another vehicle and mine, Situation was i was driving down the road at 25-30mph roughly. Third party pulls out of drive from a blind spot behind a van and hits the front/side end of my car causing front bumper, wing and door damage as i was driving past. Wing is destroyed, alloy damaged and some damage to drive area. Rest appears to be paint only.

Now i wanted to try be reasonable and sort it, Shes claiming its my fault entirely as i should have been going "slower" but i have dashcam footage of her vehicle pulling out last second and going into me.

Which way do these things usually go? Insurer seems to think its pretty clear cut but i can see her denying liability here to the insurers too

Soldato
you have a dash cam of her going into you.. unless you was at a give way or something else then hows it your fault? she can claim its your fault all she wants, dash cam says otherwise

don't be reasonable, shes not by claiming its your fault. you now have to mess about with arranging a hire car and gettings yours fixed, unless its an old car then itll be written of.

if you rang her insurance and told them you have dash cam showing its her at fault then its game over for her, she can say what she wants to them but itll be a load of rubbish and even her own insurance cant defend her with video proof.

Soldato
OP
If you're driving an aircraft on the road it technically is your fault :p
Yeah, just what i call it :rolleyes:

My insurance seems to default to using some kinda accident management system as its non-fault to me. They've arranged a hire car via enterprise and my car to be removed and put into a repairer tomorrow also, For now im using my dads car for work tomorrow but i guess my worry is the horror stories iv heard with accident management of when the third party denies liability ill get hit with this hire car bill?

Edit. Just checked the dashcam footage and backed it up to my pc its clear as day whats caused this (The third party)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Plus...well...you're not at fault in the slightest.

I guess not, I do feel bad about it as i don't wana inconvenience anyone as shes got damage to deal with also now. but iv gotta go to work and do my job especially now more than ever and i couldn't wait for her to mess around why iv got no car. Key worker so feel responsible to continue and do my bit and go to work

Caporegime
Yeah, just what i call it :rolleyes:

My insurance seems to default to using some kinda accident management system as its non-fault to me. They've arranged a hire car via enterprise and my car to be removed and put into a repairer tomorrow also, For now im using my dads car for work tomorrow but i guess my worry is the horror stories iv heard with accident management of when the third party denies liability ill get hit with this hire car bill?

Edit. Just checked the dashcam footage and backed it up to my pc its clear as day whats caused this (The third party)
Same thing happened to me last month, car came and hit me out of nowhere at a junction where it was my green signal to turn. He straight away admitted liability but then said no when he reported it to his insurer.
I didn’t have a dashcam so no proof, my insurance said it might go split liability but in the end, a week before I collected my repaired car, the 3rd party claimed liability.

So just send your insurance the video proof and let them deal with it. You have video proof that she was at fault, it does not matter one single bit what she says now. The insurance will go in your favour.

I’ve now installed a dashcam in my car both front and rear.

Man of Honour
She has to give way to traffic already on the carriageway. Unless she can prove your speed was excessive then it will go against her (and even then it would probably still go against her).

Man of Honour
She has to give way to traffic already on the carriageway. Unless she can prove your speed was excessive then it will go against her (and even then it would probably still go against her).

Even if someone is speeding your actions shouldn't cause another driver to do X, Y , Z, etc. so she'd still be at least somewhat to blame potentially still effectively wholly to blame even if it also went against the other driver.

Soldato
as commented, dash cam footage is king, and, shows she was moving out at the time collision occurred, as opposed to, she crept out a foot, and then, was static, when the collision occurred.

backing out of a narrow space with genuine blind spot (supermarket), cautiously move, checking road is free on side I can see, too, to give best chance to avoid a collision, and allow someone in blind spot to move over other side.

Soldato
It's the most obvious non fault ever. This will go against her and nobody will need your dashcam footage.

You say this but all it takes is for her to later make up a story of how the back of her car was already backed out but static and the insurance will be looking at 50/50. My wife had was involved in an accident 6-7 years ago, she was driving along, car from a road to her right was turning left, the car swung too far out and swiped the side of the wifes car. Another clear cut but the other driver later changed her story to say my wife was driving over the central white lines, so it went 50/50.

Wasn't there also a post here a while back here where a parked car opened the door into a moving car? Clear cut you'd assume but I then remember reading that the parked car later changed the story to the door was already open and the claim went 50/50.

Bottom line is that people are dishonest these days and not willing to accept blame where there's a possibility of shifting the blame.

Soldato
Surely the type of damage would make it obvious? I'd imagine if you hit her when she was already on the road (somehow :p) you have more frontal than side damage?

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I hit someone a couple weeks ago who pulled out on me at a roundabout (dual carraigeway) and it's being dispuited becasue I apparently changed lanes driving without due care and attention. I did change lanes, to attempt to avoid hitting the daft woman who launched out of the first exit in front of me becasue she clearly couldn't see with the low sun and took a punt. Becasue she was a young girl she had witness statements galore from men who clearly didn't even see what happened (you know, young friendly van driver types) but as I was being dealt with by the police I had no chance to get any witnesses of my own.

Not looking forward to the outcome tbh, she's also using an accident management company and also claiming injury which may be true as it was a bit of a shunt (my airbags fired not that I needed them) but I don't trust it to be contested correctly. Insurance will sort it either way, but I'll really resent a fault against me. Also not having much fun finding a new car!

Caporegime
If only the insurance companies did even this basic level of forensics :D

They didn't with me when a daft bint t-boned me.
She tried to claim I'd hit her and my insurance were pushing for 50-50. I pointed out there were literally parts of her car stuck in the side of mine...How could I have hit her?!

Soldato
I hit someone a couple weeks ago who pulled out on me at a roundabout (dual carraigeway) and it's being dispuited becasue I apparently changed lanes driving without due care and attention. I did change lanes, to attempt to avoid hitting the daft woman who launched out of the first exit in front of me becasue she clearly couldn't see with the low sun and took a punt. Becasue she was a young girl she had witness statements galore from men who clearly didn't even see what happened (you know, young friendly van driver types) but as I was being dealt with by the police I had no chance to get any witnesses of my own.

Not looking forward to the outcome tbh, she's also using an accident management company and also claiming injury which may be true as it was a bit of a shunt (my airbags fired not that I needed them) but I don't trust it to be contested correctly. Insurance will sort it either way, but I'll really resent a fault against me. Also not having much fun finding a new car!

They didn't with me when a daft bint t-boned me.
She tried to claim I'd hit her and my insurance were pushing for 50-50. I pointed out there were literally parts of her car stuck in the side of mine...How could I have hit her?!

So would a dashcam have helped? I suspect that it would which is the reason I now have one in my car.

Back
Top Bottom