Story behind your forum username?

Soldato
A name I created I don’t want to work out how many years ago when I needed an hotmail email address to sign up to msn messenger. It’s a simple portmanteau of greebo* and goth but I didn’t like the extra ‘e’. I started using it is my name in games and it stuck to the point outside work and family most people refer to me by it.

*By my music tastes, not Nanny Ogg’s cat.

Soldato
Back in 1999 I walked into a LAN gaming lounge in the new town we had moved to. O was 18/19 and 6ft 4 and 17st if solid muscle (the days before computer games took hold!!), The owner looked up from the car and said bloody hell yours a Big Boy and it stuck ever since, was my gaming tag on Barry's world and Jolt playing original CS Alphas and Betas, Half Life Death match, and Unreal Tournament.

Soldato
Signed up for a charity bike ride in, ooh, 2002/3 I think. The admin messed up our bibs and I was apparently David Brennen. The format of the bib was d_brennen and it's been my online alias since.

Was stone last give or take but they held everyone outside town so we could do a ride through en mass, got my picture in the local rag finishing first :)

Permabanned
When I first got online in the very early 2000s, I was a very active poster on the Linkin Park Message Board. I think my first username was 'Satan's Best Mate,' because I was like 12 and a turbo edgelord. By my seventh or eighth rereg i had settled on Theophany as a username because what else would a teenage edgelord settle upon other than a word that literally means 'the human incarnation of a deity'?

For some reason, the name stuck with me just due to familiarity and back then people in unrelated parts of the internet recognising the name from online games, random forums and IRC. I registered domain names just to lock down my internet identity. Probably 9/10 accounts named 'Theophany' are mine. The downside is that I am now incredibly easy to doxx, but to balance it I really don't give a hoot :p

So I guess the beauty is that even after all these years and the Freeserve and AOL free trials, I came into the internet the same way I am on it today - moments away from a permaban :D

Soldato
The name I would usually use was taken when I tried to sign up so I was struggling to make up a new one. Looking about my room, I saw a blue dice lying on a shelf. Didn’t like BlueDice so Bluecube it was.

Associate
Mine is based on nostalgia. I recall the moon landings in the early 70s and was very fascinated with the Moon. Hence, I went on to work as a scientist.

Associate
My name is Gavin Sands
When the internet first started you had to post your details off using the good old post office to open a internet account and email address.
I chose gav[email protected] but they took the v as a r so I ended up with garsands.
So from that point on I used it as my gamer tag and forum names.

Associate
Mine was first used back in 1997 when I used to chat on a site called "The Park."
It's just an abbreviation of my star sign Capricorn and my year of birth.

Associate
Hi C@ppy1961 my fellow lurker :)

Russell Crowbar was my first online gaming name when I started playing original Half Life Deathmatch many years ago (still dialup internet when I started!). It fitted nicely with Half Life since the Crowbar was a weapon and, in case anyone didn't realise, it's a play on Russell Crowe's name.

Caporegime
OP
Mine was first used back in 1997 when I used to chat on a site called "The Park."
It's just an abbreviation of my star sign Capricorn and my year of birth.

Hi C@ppy1961 my fellow lurker :)

Russell Crowbar was my first online gaming name when I started playing original Half Life Deathmatch many years ago (still dialup internet when I started!). It fitted nicely with Half Life since the Crowbar was a weapon and, in case anyone didn't realise, it's a play on Russell Crowe's name.

I'm honoured you two chose to make 1/3 and 1/4 of your posts over the last decade in my thread. :p

Back
Top Bottom